Sprague

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
hewesfisher
Admiral

RE:Sprague

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:59 am

There are lots of issues redarding Sprague Lake, and I agree with those who feel it's wasted $$$ to make it a trout lake even for a short time while the warm water species recover and take hold. Reports in the Spokesman-Review frequently indicate the bite is good but nobody is fishing it, they even go so far as to describe the color of the trout flesh, pink not white, as if that will make more anglers head out to Sprague.#-o

While I understand WDFW's intent to provide a fishery while the other species get back up to speed (even though I don't agree with it), they never addressed another issue, at least in my opinion, with the lack of angler use - a very poor access site. I don't know about you, but I don't like pulling my boat onto boulders and sharp rocks to launch or recover, or have to use a pole or paddle to get far enough away from the launch to safely put my kicker motor in the water, and we don't have a big boat!

I think if WDFW wants to see an increase in angler/sporting use, they need to address the launch issue. Sure, there are a couple of resorts on the lake, and we can use their launches which at least have docks to help keep your boat from blowing away on windy days, but that's not what we pay for when we buy our licenses. I don't think the private launches are all that nice, but they are better than what WDFW has provided.

We used to visit Sprague 4-5 times a year during the warm weather, but not this year. If all we can catch are hatchery trout or small panfish, it isn't worth it us, we'll go elsewhere, and have. Maybe next year?:-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Post by PaulReilly » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:26 pm

hewesfisher wrote:There are lots of issues redarding Sprague Lake, and I agree with those who feel it's wasted $$$ to make it a trout lake even for a short time while the warm water species recover and take hold. Reports in the Spokesman-Review frequently indicate the bite is good but nobody is fishing it, they even go so far as to describe the color of the trout flesh, pink not white, as if that will make more anglers head out to Sprague.#-o

While I understand WDFW's intent to provide a fishery while the other species get back up to speed (even though I don't agree with it), they never addressed another issue, at least in my opinion, with the lack of angler use - a very poor access site. I don't know about you, but I don't like pulling my boat onto boulders and sharp rocks to launch or recover, or have to use a pole or paddle to get far enough away from the launch to safely put my kicker motor in the water, and we don't have a big boat!

I think if WDFW wants to see an increase in angler/sporting use, they need to address the launch issue. Sure, there are a couple of resorts on the lake, and we can use their launches which at least have docks to help keep your boat from blowing away on windy days, but that's not what we pay for when we buy our licenses. I don't think the private launches are all that nice, but they are better than what WDFW has provided.

We used to visit Sprague 4-5 times a year during the warm weather, but not this year. If all we can catch are hatchery trout or small panfish, it isn't worth it us, we'll go elsewhere, and have. Maybe next year?:-"
Agreed. Well said.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:57 pm

Have they planted any bass yet/or any ideas when?