North Lake WA...Salmon....OMG!

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Cantcatchnuthin'
Petty Officer

North Lake WA...Salmon....OMG!

Post by Cantcatchnuthin' » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:44 pm

Sadly I have nothing to show for it though. Today I was fishing at the north end of LW just east of Kenmore air. My girlfriends brother works for a dock building co. that has a couple of tugs and a couple of barges back there. I get a phone call from him with a "I know you dont think there are fish in this state but you need to get here ASAP, 20+lb fish coming clean out of the water and they are everywhere". So I grab the tackle box and pole and headed over there.

When I got out of the car I could not believe my eyes. I am a firm believer that there is no aquatic fish life other than perch in this state and what I saw I had never seen before. Absolute MONSTERS jumpin a foot out of the water. Fish larger than what you see at the markets. 5 and 6 fish jumping at the same time by the barges and over by the Kenmore Air float planes.

I spent the next couple of hours throwing everything I had at them and only got one strike. My girlfriends brother got a solid strike but that was it. I was one of the sigle most frustraing things I had ever been through. They were right in front of me and they werent hitting on anything. Buzzbombs, rooster tails, spoons, bass lures, mepps, NOTHING. I almost got to a point where I threw my rod and reel in the water. They were litterally only feet away from us, a couple times a long handled net would have grabbed a few that were jumping.

I have since deduced that these werent acutally fish. It was an anomoly of gas bubbles bursting on the surface of the water and the light of the setting sun going through these gasses made it appear that it was fish jumping. This will go into another one of my "Fish X-files".

All joking aside, I havent seen anything like this since I was a kids at the Ballard locks. One thing I did notice is that these fish appeard to be near the end of thier life span. Some very odd colors on what was definately kind Salmon. Talking with my girlfriends brother, this happens every year when the fish take a wrong turn after passing the slew to get to Lake Samamish and then they get stuck not knowing how to get out of the barge area.

I am curious if that becuase they are at the end of thier life span, they just dont bite on anything. The water in that area is also very murkey from a dirt barge going in and out twice a day. Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

-Cantcatchnothin' ](*,)
I like fish, but the fish dont like me

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:North Lake WA...Salmon....OMG!

Post by A9 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:10 pm

Salmon don't bite too well once they are in freshwater, since their main priority is to spawn, so it can be very difficult to catch salmon in freshwater lakes when they are heading from the salt to the rivers, with a pit stop in a big freshwater lake.

The jumpers aren't typically known for being the biters....

Anyways, some say firetiger crankbaits/plugs can really piss a big king off in rivers, who knows, maybe try it out there next time.....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Looks like now is a good time to take the kids for a walk down along the slough to check out the salmon.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:20 pm

Cantcatchnothin' : Be sure that the warden does not see you targeting these fish. Salmon season on Lk WA does not open until the 16th of Sept.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cantcatchnuthin'
Petty Officer

Post by Cantcatchnuthin' » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:22 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:Cantcatchnothin' : Be sure that the warden does not see you targeting these fish. Salmon season on Lk WA does not open until the 16th of Sept.
Crap, need to check my regs again. I thought it opened in the beginning of Sept. Looks like I'll be waiting a few days before going back out.

Cantcatchnuthin'
Petty Officer

Post by Cantcatchnuthin' » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:27 pm

Can anyone give me an idea on when its to late to actually eat some of these fish when they are near the end of thier life span? Please forgive some of my ignorant questions, I have been fishing for most of my life but never really had to much in the way of resources to really learn the "whats" and "hows to's". Most all of my fishing has been in the lakes and ponds of Idaho where they were readily stocked and all it took was a rainbow rooster tail to drag in just about anything.

-Cantcatchnuthin'

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Once they turn anything other than silver or something close to silver gray, they are best used in the smoker...

Cantcatchnuthin'
Petty Officer

Post by Cantcatchnuthin' » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:34 pm

Jake Dogfish wrote:Once they turn anything other than silver or something close to silver gray, they are best used in the smoker...
Good thing I just just ordered my Traeger! Thanks for the info!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:57 pm

Another quick note. If you catch a salmon in Lake Washington, after September 15th, and intend to keep it, make sure it is a Silver (COHO). Kings can only be kept if caught in Lake Sammamish! If anyone figures out how to hook into the silvers on Lake Washington, please share[-o< I swore I'd figure this fishery out but hunting and coaching Soccer always seemed to get in the way. I'd love to get a bunch of washingtonlakes.com anglers out there to harvest these fish before they get netted!

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:44 pm

Cantcatchnuthin' wrote:
Jake Dogfish wrote:Once they turn anything other than silver or something close to silver gray, they are best used in the smoker...
Good thing I just just ordered my Traeger! Thanks for the info!

TRAEGER!!!!!!:cheers: which one did you get? and man are you in for some good eats. let me or racfish or a host of guys on the sitek now if you need any help.:chef:

:viking:
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:39 pm

[quote="G-Man"] If anyone figures out how to hook into the silvers on Lake Washington, please share[-o&lt]

Plugs or Coyotes I hear. Just north of the three points (Evergreen, Hunts, Yarrow Point) is a popular spot.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:53 pm

[quote="G-Man"]Another quick note. If you catch a salmon in Lake Washington, after September 15th, and intend to keep it, make sure it is a Silver (COHO). Kings can only be kept if caught in Lake Sammamish! If anyone figures out how to hook into the silvers on Lake Washington, please share[-o&lt]

When does the netting start. i want ot give it a go on Lake Wa this year for the coho.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

Cantcatchnuthin'
Petty Officer

Post by Cantcatchnuthin' » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:39 am

I got the Traeger Junior. It fit the budget and you can still cook quite a bit of stuff in it.

As far as netting goes, from what Ihear they are already doing it on Lake Sammamish. I havent seen it myself, but I hear the natives are bringing are going gang busters right now.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:23 pm

I'm with Jake.I dont keep boots.Not even for smoking.If its not palatable without having to salt the heck out of it then its not worth keeping.I have the big Texan Traeger.I got it 2 years ago brand new for 650.00 .I bought 2 of them at that price.I use my Traeger all year long.The best deal on pellets is Joes.Buy 2 get 1 free.that makes each bag about 11.50 each.
I use herring dodger for silvers in Lk Wa. or a flatfish with the hooks swapped out.Salmon in fresh water tend to strike lures out of madness not hunger.I found herring worked well.Ive never got a silver over 4 lbs in lk Wa.I seen biggies but never on a line.From how I understood it salmon jump for two reasons.One is to reposition eggs and spems sacks.the other is parasitics on their outer skin.Jumping helps relieve them of the pesky worms.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:40 pm

Over the years I have found just what has been said..."Piss them Off and you will get a strike" I have used a large spinner with silver/chrome on one side and florescent red on the other.; No bait just flash! They are not really eating. These spinners worked real well a few years ago on the Sammish and on the Skagit for Chum. Just make sure if you snag one ...let it go...The game folks look for wounds on the fish other than the mouth. You can't fool em. Good luck and hope for the shiney fish.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:08 pm

Well, what I have found in the rivers for silvers is to make them angry. I don't really know if it applies to lakes but it is fresh water. I use hand tied jigs and Dick Nites. I won't get into the jigs to much because I have experimented first hand in the rivers how well they can work if presented properly but I don't think that lakes are the best place for them.

Dick Nites however, I think do have pontential in a lake. When Silvers enter fresh water they go into basic instinct survival mode where they bite/kill whatever makes them angry. I have caught Silvers in the high teens in the rivers with Dick Nites (even the Wee size alot). I am not saying that it will deffinatly work in a big lake but it might be worth a try. You might catch a lot of decent trout in Lake Washington on a Dick Nite before you hook into a Silver, but it may be worth it, who knows. Good luck.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:54 am

I use Dick Nites most everywhere I fish. I even took them to Vietnam in the 60's. They worked well and I ended leaving a bunch of them when I left country. I must have 30 of them now. Some in each tackle box and even a few in the glove compartment. I used to tie them behind a 0000 flasher and this works killer for silvers and if using pink ones humpies gobble them up. They aren't real flashy and it would seem that other lures would P...O a salmon more, but by golly they sure work.
I was fishing for humps on the Skagit and I used a pink lure about 1 1/2 in long and very light and my partner used the same lure ,but it was twice as heavy.....I out fished him 3 to 1...Just because of weight of the lure? Maybe... Maybe the nites have something going for them coming right out of the package. Larger is not always better...Sockeye bite on single red rooks and most fish bite on little flies so maybe using little flashy lures with a bit larger hook will work well. Next time I am going to give it a try. Good luck and hope to see a post with some nice silvers in the pics.:thumright

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

BassFanatic
Commander

Post by BassFanatic » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:01 pm

Tried everything at them they are just jumpimg all around but won't hit. what i heard was to try and bounce egss of the bottom.
CPR-BOYZ
CHECK US OUT ON YOUTUBE!!!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:51 am

It's tough on lake Wash but can be done. Go back in the report archives for the lake and look up the salmon reports, there are some detailed and successful trips reported.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".