Kress lake Cowlitz Co.

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
PokerAddict
Petty Officer

Kress lake Cowlitz Co.

Post by PokerAddict » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:55 pm

Does anyone have a topo map of it or an idea on how deep the lake is? or even the hot spots for kitties :D

cavdad45
Commodore

RE:Kress lake Cowlitz Co.

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:23 pm

Kress lake is a great fishery for kids! The best places for trout and panfishing are right near the parking lot. There are a ton of brown trout that you can see cruising near the weeds and for the most part are pretty easy pickings for a youngster and their first pole.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:10 pm

i think he meant catfish not kids but im not sure.

PokerAddict
Petty Officer

Post by PokerAddict » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:18 pm

yeah cat fish lol..

fishman123
Petty Officer

Post by fishman123 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:20 am

Most the the catfish Ive caught in there have been small bullheads. They stocked some channel cats in there 6 to 8 years ago but I think they have mostly been fished out of there. The channel cats that I caught there during that time were probably in the 2 to 3 lb range. If very many of them are still around I imagine they will be signifigantly bigger. I'm not sure about it but I think that they may not let people fish there at night anymore because it seems like I have seen no overnight camping sign there sometime recently.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PokerAddict
Petty Officer

Post by PokerAddict » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:51 pm

what bait were you using..?
and is there crappie there aswell?

fishman123
Petty Officer

Post by fishman123 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:35 am

For the chanel cats I used chicken livers and for the bullheads it was the worms that did the trick. I've been fishing at kress for 10 years or so and have only caught 1 crappie in it. If you enjoy fishing for panfish, the lake is loaded with bluegill.

fishman123
Petty Officer

Post by fishman123 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:51 am

Pretty much any of the lowland lakes in SW will hold catfish. Crappie are a little more challenging to find. I like to scout out fishing spots using sites like googlemaps satellite imigary. Its amazing how far you can zoom in. I have found a few good Crappie holes by looking for structure in lakes and rivers known to hold crappie with out having to go to the lake or river. Its not to hard to spot pilings and fallen down trees where you might expect to find crappie. Sometimes the the imagery is clear enough to spot drop offs in the water by looking at the color changes. Don't be afaid to go exploring.

PokerAddict
Petty Officer

Post by PokerAddict » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:17 am

ive looked at google earth so much.. and all these unexplored ponds and **** i dont know if there private or not.. do you live in clark co?

EDIT: just notice it says u live in vancouver.. DUUUH #-o anyways.. send me a pm if you want to see some ponds i spotted might be good for bass or crappie.. might not even have fish in it lol.. :p
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishman123
Petty Officer

Post by fishman123 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:43 pm

Unless the ponds you are finding are already known to hold crappie or unless they are located near the columbia river(introduced by flooding), its doubtful that they would have crappie in them.

PokerAddict
Petty Officer

Post by PokerAddict » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:34 pm

look at the pond by the 503 bridge near battle ground

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:41 am

PokerAddict wrote:look at the pond by the 503 bridge near battle ground
Are you meaning the ponds just north of 154th Street in Brush Prairie? I wonder if they are accessible.
Have you fished Fargher Pond? Just to the north of the town of Fargher Lake at the corner of Grantham Road and NE Reid Road. I fished there only one time two years ago…or was it last year, anyway it had bass in it and that usually means other warm water beasties. The pond marked as Fargher Pond on google maps (southwest of town) is actually a private pond with homes all around and no access.
I also wonder about Warren Seely Reservoir west of town. Does anyone know if it is private? Are there any fish in it?

PokerAddict
Petty Officer

Post by PokerAddict » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:59 pm

ya those are accessible.. you have to park next to the freeway and cross the berry bushes though i heard lol.. looks like they have been untouched by fishing though so if bass are in there or any other species.. good chance they havent seen a lure ;)