Walleye Tacktics

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
trout magnet
Petty Officer

Walleye Tacktics

Post by trout magnet » Wed May 02, 2007 8:09 pm

I need some good walleye techniques, who's got'em?

gpc
Admiral

RE:Walleye Tacktics

Post by gpc » Wed May 02, 2007 8:20 pm

The main thing that I use is a double whammy. All you do is get a bottom walker and tie your main line to that and a 20" leader or so to the double whammy. Double whammy come in a lot of colors so talk to a local to get the right color pattern. Then put a full night crawler on and your set. Another way is plugs. Your best bet is to get the ones that are made for walleye. They are a little longer and skinnier that most plugs and every major company makes them. You can tie those on to the bottom walker too. Another way is too jig with blade baits and walleye jigs but I rarely do that so Im not the man who should be teaching people how to do that LOL.

Jay S
Petty Officer

Post by Jay S » Thu May 03, 2007 1:58 pm

I agree with the worm harness and bottem bouncer it is a all time favorite of most every walleye fisherman. However instead of a full night crawler try ripping it in half i was told it lets more scent out of the bait and I do seem to catch more fish. Casting plugs at night or in muddy conditions is great. One major key is when your trolling and you start getting bites have a pole with some type of jig tied on tipped with a worm and start jigging. The reason for this is they school up and if theres one theres usely more so while your on top of them you want to take advantage of that and if you dont draw any more strikes try another jig and if that doesnt work precide to troll.

trout magnet
Petty Officer

Post by trout magnet » Thu May 03, 2007 6:36 pm

What do think about downriggers for walleye?

bad esox
Lieutenant

Post by bad esox » Thu May 03, 2007 8:02 pm

Hey Guys,

If you want to learn more about Walleye fishing there is a great association you should check out. The"Western Washington Walleye Club" meets in Des Moines every second Wednesday at: Green Acres Learning Center (lower level) 1826 s. 240th Des Moines, WA. (www.walleye-club,com) ...This is a great bunch of people if you like Walleye fishing!!! The next meeting will be on May 9th at 1900 hrs.. I think it is about $25.00 a yr. to join.
>----):< A good gamefish is too valuable, to be caught only once.
NW TIGER PAC, Chapter 57 of Muskies, Inc.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 08, 2007 12:11 am

I wouldnt reccomend using a downrigger. The reason I say this is because I do all my walleye fishing between 6 and 18 feet of water so a downrigger isnt really needed.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:31 pm

When we go to potholes every year for walleye we use bottomwalkers on the humps and crankbaits around the rocks.