How can I know if a lake is frozen or fishable?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
alxtm
Angler

How can I know if a lake is frozen or fishable?

Post by alxtm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Hi there,
this might sound dumb, but I've been to WA (and the US in general) for not too long, so lots are really novelties to me :)

I went with my kid to a few lakes we like (Angle, Beaver) and they were frozen this morning. Literally frozen, but not enough to do any ice fishing (I would assume somewhere under half an inch).

It was quite a drive around and in the end we went back home, so I wonder if there is a place where I can get informed about lake conditions... searched and couldn't find anything updated.

Thanks!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: How can I know if a lake is frozen or fishable?

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:30 pm

I don't think there really is any where to if a lake is frozen or not. On the West side, pretty much just say no to walking out on any frozen bodies of water.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Fordtuff
Petty Officer

Post by Fordtuff » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:33 pm

alxtm wrote:Hi there,
this might sound dumb, but I've been to WA (and the US in general) for not too long, so lots are really novelties to me :)

I went with my kid to a few lakes we like (Angle, Beaver) and they were frozen this morning. Literally frozen, but not enough to do any ice fishing (I would assume somewhere under half an inch).

It was quite a drive around and in the end we went back home, so I wonder if there is a place where I can get informed about lake conditions... searched and couldn't find anything updated.

Thanks!
Doesn't sound dumb at all. I stopped by 2 lakes on the way home today and they were both froze over. Not sure how thick but i couldn't break threw with rocks. I haven't found anywhere listing about lake conditions for around here. Only thing i know to do is ask in the forum before hand and hope maybe someone nearby knows. Usually ice isn't an issue for the west side low land lakes.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:50 pm

http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ ... 32&t=23712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a thread regarding some Eastern WA. ice lakes.

You said you were new to WA. state, and US. Like Bodofish said, just forget about ice fishing in Western WA.
You can read about some of the E. WA. places in the link, but seriously, not worth risk on this side for a few perch/trout.
You could Google and call Fish lake resort up near Leavonworth, and they could speak to their ice conditions. Lost lake on Snoqualmie, freezes, but you will need a snowmobile.

alxtm
Angler

Post by alxtm » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:16 am

Thanks for the info, guys.
I'll keep a closer eye on this forum or some other blogs, as well as checking weather forecasts to see when temperatures are consistently higher than freezing point.