Meridian Weeds/Algae Problem

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
cjrodarme
Petty Officer

Meridian Weeds/Algae Problem

Post by cjrodarme » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:05 am

So I was out bass fishing on Lake Meridian a couple days ago, just to find that half of the docks and a lot of cover is engulfed by these large, cloudlike tufts of green seaweed/algae. It seems to attach to about anything that it can, docks, lilypad stalks, etc, It grows from off of the bottom going up, and the plants can be several feet in size, both height and width. Does anyone know what this strange plant is, and if it will go away?

tnj8222
Admiral

Re: Meridian Weeds/Algae Problem

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:20 am

It's been there for as long as I can remember. Gets worse in summer alot worse.

cjrodarme
Petty Officer

Post by cjrodarme » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:50 am

I live on Meridian, and this is something I've never encountered at this level before. In summer the weeds do get worse, but I don't usually see this kind in that time

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Mon May 02, 2016 11:08 pm

Was there last week. Didn't seem too bad. Did see the layer of slime/algae throughout. Ive seen it much worse there, but then, its still early in the season.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:03 am

Was there today for the first time in years. Didn't seem bad at all did find a few big algae balls though.

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:23 am

Dont worry, if they follow the same plan they have for Lake Stevens, they will alum the lake soon to kill the fish and food. Pretty sure they think that will cure the algae problem. Sigh

cjrodarme
Petty Officer

Post by cjrodarme » Mon May 09, 2016 8:21 am

Its cleared up by now, it just must be a seasonal thing. I usually dont get out that early in the year but we've had exeptional weather. I highly doubt they would kill of Meridian