Spawning trout in Beaver Lake

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
herefishy
Petty Officer

Spawning trout in Beaver Lake

Post by herefishy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:09 am

My husband caught a male rainbow trout in spawning form at Beaver Lake (Issaquah, WA) yesterday. Had beautiful color and was a little darker than normal. It had a long jaw & hooked nose. Was full of sperm. I know they planted breed stock in the lake last October but when we caught them right after they planted they just looked like a "normal" rainbow trout. First question - Do trout change back to normal form after they going in spawning form? I was told they don't die after spawning like salmon do. Second question - Are they decent to eat? When we caught after the plant early in the season they were pretty fatty and didn't taste all that great.

wlai
Petty Officer

Re: Spawning trout in Beaver Lake

Post by wlai » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:16 pm

Could it be the steelhead stock that they planted last year?

herefishy
Petty Officer

Post by herefishy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:54 pm

I know they planted the retired brood stock last October but I am not sure about steelhead. The steelhead that I seen pulled out of other lakes last year that were stocked very silvery and in the 10 - 12" range. This one was very colorful and dark. He was 16" and weighed a little over 1 lb.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:52 am

Steelhead would be a few years away from spawning. Probably a brooder but rainbows will get all ready to go even if they don't have a place to spawn.... Like a small stream. I think there is just such a thing at the end away from the launch and park.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!