Evening fishing, Pierce County

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Evening fishing, Pierce County

Post by ChelleDean08 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:57 am

I am curious if y'all have any suggestions on the best places to go at night to bank fish?! Not thinking my pontoon is the greatest idea in the dark, but I'd love to have more hours in the 'day' to fish and have not tried night fishing at any of the lakes we frequent out here (Spanaway/Graham area) I.e. kapowsin, ohop, american, tanwax, etc...
~*~ Fail to plan, Plan to fail ~*~ Fishing is an addiction... yet a healthy Zen for the heart, mind, and soul ~*~

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Evening fishing, Pierce County

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:06 pm

My brother night fishes at Clear lake fairly often. He doesnt catch much, but dont let that stop you from trying. He never catches much no mater where or when he goes :)

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:59 pm

i would think allot of the local lakes close at dust if it is a park due to issues with underage drinking / parking lot teenagers . some of the salt water docks stay open later like les davis in tacoma / redondo in federal way. another thing to look up would be the channel catfish planted lakes or warm water lakes may have more night action

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:10 am

Clear lake in Pierce County only has bank access at the launch and with the temp of the lake I don't know about any fish hanging out in the shallows there.

Tanwax has 2 resorts.

Ohop has bank access but don't know about doing it at night?
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Post by ChelleDean08 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:44 pm

Thank you for the feedback! May try Harts lake out there by McKenna this evening, Clear lake was fun this morning... until the not-so-considerate few boaters & one guy on a jet ski apparently thought it was fun to shoot by our pontoons a number of times and about sent us flying into the shoreline/each other/ docks/etc. lol Saw the Eagle and really enjoyed that as well as the warm water and few little guys we sent back in to grow up a bit more ;)
~*~ Fail to plan, Plan to fail ~*~ Fishing is an addiction... yet a healthy Zen for the heart, mind, and soul ~*~

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:47 pm

ChelleDean08 wrote:Thank you for the feedback! May try Harts lake out there by McKenna this evening, Clear lake was fun this morning... until the not-so-considerate few boaters & one guy on a jet ski apparently thought it was fun to shoot by our pontoons a number of times and about sent us flying into the shoreline/each other/ docks/etc. lol Saw the Eagle and really enjoyed that as well as the warm water and few little guys we sent back in to grow up a bit more ;)
Those not so considerate boaters- jet ski don't just pick on pontoons.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Post by ChelleDean08 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Shoot, maybe I could have been more graceful with my wording! For the most part everyone on the water was very kind, careful, fun to watch and bs with, as it should be... like anywhere, there is always the possibility of a few that aren't very nice and I apologize for being grouchy about it lol

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:34 am

There seems to be one or two that seem to ruin it for others. 90% AOK 10% YUCK. All the years I went to Dash Point and some good times for us then 1 year, 1 day, 1 person in just a few minutes ruined it all. So much so I didn't want to go back. But I did and the that year there was a police presence which calmed everyone down. When that 1% turned ugly he was banned from the dock. But he was unpleasant for several days before he was (caught) talked to and banned.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:53 am

If your going to drive out to Hearts lake to fish, you could also try Lowrance lake or Clear lake only 15 min down the road from McKenna both fish great from the banks at the boat launch. I know its Thurston county but fish good from shore. Good luck, Ohop is great fishing from the banks there are spots along the road pass the public boat launch just look for the pull off on the side of the road, the middle and upper lake has always done well for me. Worm on the bottom or power bait.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

ChelleDean08
Petty Officer

Post by ChelleDean08 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:08 am

Miss Toni, that seems to be the 'norm' unfortunately, thankfully those sort are generally few and far between however :) The gentleman on the jet ski is apparently a regular nuisance lol.. as he was flying by repeatedly closer and closer, there were homeowners on their dock cursing up a storm about being sick of him and running him down... Glad I did not see THAT happen! It reminds me of my first year "combat fishing" on the Puyallup! Most of the time I was the only girl out there and every so often some crabby fisherman would talk garbage about it not being a place for a woman and didn't I know where I belonged... Never lasted very long, either I'd limit pretty quickly or one of the gentlemen would pipe up and quiet them down for me even without my asking, I love the comradere in the fishing/ general community overall!
Hunter, Ohop is my husband's favorite, we have found a few spots off the road that were very nice to fish but I think I need to learn my timing much better in order to have much luck out there myself! I have a heavy hand and snap too quickly I think, lake fishing is new to me (definitely a whole different game than the river fishing I've learned and love!!) I don't seem to catch much, though I know darn well when I feel a bite! I am from thurston originally, I would love to try a few of the lakes out there...hopefully will do so very soon, but time is short before my husband leaves for the next year and I'll be scrambling for fishing buddies lol

geljockey
Petty Officer

Post by geljockey » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:46 am

Did you ever try Harts Lake? Right adjacent to the WDFW boat launch is a very small resort. The resort has a dock you can fish off of for a small fee.

I'll check with some of my co-workers for some suggestions.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Toni wrote:There seems to be one or two that seem to ruin it for others. 90% AOK 10% YUCK. All the years I went to Dash Point and some good times for us then 1 year, 1 day, 1 person in just a few minutes ruined it all. So much so I didn't want to go back. But I did and the that year there was a police presence which calmed everyone down. When that 1% turned ugly he was banned from the dock. But he was unpleasant for several days before he was (caught) talked to and banned.
Yeah I hate that about those public well known spots. Spokane St is the same. I've had one bad experience at dash that really made me not like the area. I still fish there but choose to wade instead of pier fish. Some people.....