How big to perch get?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
jmay
Lieutenant

How big to perch get?

Post by jmay » Mon May 14, 2007 11:18 am

Traditonally I am a trout snob and perfer a 3 weight fly rod, however I have a 5 year old boy that loves to fish and I have started using spinning gear at mixed species lakes to that we get a lot of action. Like most kids he perfers quanity over quaility. Anyway last weekend we caught 4 perch out of Silver Lake (near Medical Lake) that where a honest 14-16 inches. I thought most perch where 8". Did we hit the jackpot or is this sized perch normal?

littleriver
Commander

RE:How big to perch get?

Post by littleriver » Mon May 14, 2007 12:25 pm

I think the world record yellow perch is just under or just over 3 pounds......

but 14 to 16 inches is a real bigun...

are you sure they were perch and not walleye???

back in Lake Erie the sport fishing regulars still refer to walleye as "yellows"... because
they used to be known as "yellow pike" in that neck of the woods...

Walleye colors tend to vary quite a bit with their habitat and they can look rather yellow when
they're in the right mood.... there are other environments (i.e. places in manitoba) where sporties are always reporting them as having a "blue" coloration and declaring they have found the last surviving member of the now thought to be extinct blue pike species that used to inhabit Lake Erie.....
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 14, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon May 14, 2007 2:08 pm

Those are huge perch. I have been panfishing my whole life and have maybe caught 5 or 6 perch of 14" and I dont think Iv ever even seen a 16"

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Mon May 14, 2007 3:28 pm

14"+ perch aren't common but they are out there....12"ers are pretty common in lake washington...

Rizzla
Petty Officer

Post by Rizzla » Mon May 14, 2007 4:00 pm

actually for some reason i've caught pretty big ones pretty often. Every year wen i take my unexperienced friends out fishin for newby fish like perch and bluegill i always manage to catch some perch around that big. I dont think really think nothin of it. perch if no one catches them or they dont die cause of natural cause can get pretty big. there like the 15" crappies that way almost 2 lbs or over. they are out there just gota catch thats the hard part.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon May 14, 2007 7:58 pm

I've never gone over 14 inches with them...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Tue May 15, 2007 8:01 am

THANKS GUYS!!! I am sure they where not walleye. I had no idea they got that big