Does anyone fish Kittitas County?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Fri May 04, 2007 9:47 pm

What is your favorite lake?

What is your favorite stream?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 04, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

littleriver
Commander

RE:Does anyone fish Kittitas County?

Post by littleriver » Fri May 04, 2007 10:54 pm

I've been to Kittitas County and I can call Kittitas County a friend of mine but Kittitas County is no Grant County....

still.... it's got a few good fishing holes ...

Yakima river is probably the highlight... used to fish it a lot when I lived in yakima... caught many nice rainbows in the gorge, but that was before they made it catch and release only...... also fished Waptus, Ivanhoe, and Wanapum..........

have notes in my "places to go log" that I gotta get to Kachess some day but that day has yet to come... I've been to the camping area 'bout mid lake a couple of times to check out the access but don't like it... When I fish Kachess I think I'll access it from the "dam access"..... you exit I-90 just past the Easton State Park and turn right on this gravel road that goes up a mile or so and you gotta look for this little, rutty dirt road with no sign... if you select the right one it pops you down to the southern shore of the lake and if the water isn't too high you can drive along a "earthen dam like" road that gives you cartop access to the water.. just be careful where you drive because ya never know when you'll just sink down into the ground.... anyways.. one of these years I'm going to get to that spot and drop the boat in and go fishing...

drive by Cle Elum Lake quite a bit in my trips to go hiking up in the Alpine Lakes area and it looks like a really fishy lake, but I just don't read to much about it in the reports or the washington fishing chat forums...... have to wonder if this one isn't a sleeper...
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Sun May 06, 2007 11:52 am

There are a few lakes that are very easy to access in Kittitas County, that will usually produce Rainbows. Mattoon and Fio Rio come to mind. They are both stocked multiple times every year, with normal size rainbows, and the larger triploids as well. Fio Rio is located right along I-82 after you drop down Manastash Grade. To access it , as soon as you drop off of manastash grade (heading into Ellensburg), take the "Thrall Road" exit. Immediately take a left on "Road #6." About five miles (approximation) down the road will be a sign that says "public fishing." I've never had the best luck on this lake, but my uncle has pulled some beautifull trout out of here (17 inches). This lake recieves fairly heavy fishing pressure, and many people actually camp out right along the lake. If you are in the area, it's worth a shot.

Mattoon is located just out of Ellensburg. Right when you get into Ellensburg, one of the first lights you come to will be Umtanum Road. It will be right by the Subway. Take a left there, and about four miles (another aproximation) will be another sign for public fishing, take a left and follow the gravel road. The best spot is along the north west side of the lake. There seems to be a hole there. I did really well there with pink power eggs earlier this year. Once again, this lake has been stocked with those large (17 inch or so) Tri Ploids.

Also if you have a four wheeler, give Manastash Lake a shot. You'll have to find out how to access it. It is all through jeeping roads, but I understand it is a beautiful lake in the spring.

Tight Lines,

Joe
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Mon May 07, 2007 10:38 pm

Hey Joe have you been on those jeep trails to manastash? I don't own a quad but I do have a four wheel drive are the trails quad only or are they open to jeeps too? FioRito is one of my favorites. The fish in my avatar pic is from the south lake spring 2003.

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:35 pm

bigastrout wrote:Hey Joe have you been on those jeep trails to manastash? I don't own a quad but I do have a four wheel drive are the trails quad only or are they open to jeeps too? FioRito is one of my favorites. The fish in my avatar pic is from the south lake spring 2003.
Nope, you can get to Manastash with a four wheel drive. There are two ways to access it. The first way requires some hiking, but you can reach the trailhead with even a car (it's not a difficult drive). From Ellensburg, take Manastash Road west. Stay on manastash road. It will turn into forest service road 31 after about seven or eight miles. Once you hit gravel, continue for nine miles on the main gravel road, and there will be a sign that says "manashtash lake." There will be a little place to park, and a trail starts. It's a fairly long hike from what I understand. (eight miles round trip)

The other way is much much shorter, but requires a little four wheeling. I've been this way once with a friend in his jeep, and it wasn't too bad, but it's definately a some rougher terrain. I honestly don't remember which trails to take though...

From what I gather it's a beautiful lake, but you want to hit it before it turns over with algae. It holds brook trout. I hope that helped. Nice looking fish you have for your picture.

Hope that helps,

Joe
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 08, 2007 1:17 am

I love the fio ritos havnt caught much but you cant beat free lake side camping. I spent alot of time in Cle Elum growing up but most the lakes I fished are now not fishable. They stopped planting bullfrog and its private property now, Hansen ponds got bought by the natives and is now a part of the Yakima river and a couple years ago the Yakima flooded and wiped out Gladmar in thorp. Ther is still Lavender, Lake Easton, Easton ponds, Lake Cle Elum and a lot more. Dont forget the Yakima river is the only blue ribon river in WA state

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Tue May 08, 2007 1:33 am

gpc wrote: and a couple years ago the Yakima flooded and wiped out Gladmar in thorp.
Gladmar in thorp? Where was this place I've never heard of it?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 08, 2007 9:24 am

bigastrout wrote:
gpc wrote: and a couple years ago the Yakima flooded and wiped out Gladmar in thorp.
Gladmar in thorp? Where was this place I've never heard of it?

If you are drivinge west on I-90 you get off at the fruit and antique mall in Thorp you drive past it and take a right onto Gladmar road. The lake is still there but it is connected to the Yakima river. It still looks like a lake but it has a current. People still fish and Ive seen a lot of people there but it has the same rules and regs as the Yakima does. It was a weird lake the fish were only bitting a fraction of the time and it was never the same time of day or the same bait but as soon as they started bitting it only took 5-10 min. to limit. But there were so many weeds you couldnt troll

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Tue May 15, 2007 12:41 am

Thanks gpc I am going to check it out

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 15, 2007 1:02 am

bigastrout wrote:Thanks gpc I am going to check it out
No problem, good luck. Let me know what the outcome is