mis-hooked oddities while fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

RE:mis-hooked oddities while fishing

Post by Joe Heater » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:19 am

Also at Jim Creek Naval Station me and another guy had a basket full of trout hanging over the side. all of a sudden something started pulling on it. We pulled it up and it let go. Then a few seconds later an Otter came up and stared at us like those were his fish. That was kind of cool.
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:30 am

One time while fishing the Snake River, I hooked into a pretty decent fish, and then became engangled in something along the bottom. We were fishing from the bank and had the boat with us, so rather than lose all my gear, we took the boat out to try and retrieve it. Long story short, it finally pulled free from the bottom, and when it finally got reeled in, my 'great catch' was a pair of camouflage boxer shorts full of sand. "Ok, that's odd," I thought. But what really creeped me out was a little bit later when my dad got snagged in the same exact spot.... Hmmmm, the "lost boater?"

I've also caught many sticks, a few crawdads, and a piece of folded up fabric (that when unfolded was filled with a bunch of very small slimy creatures... I still don't know what they were).

beerman
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:19 am

Beerman finally came back to WL.com???
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:40 am

I was using live shiners for bass in one of those canals in South Florida when my float went under an overhanging tree. I knew there were fish there because the water was clear enough to see their shadows. So I got ready for the bass to hit my shiner. Suddenly, the bobber went down hard and I set the hook. It wasn't a bass. I landed a 20" Snakehead. Mean little sucker as they all are. This one kept trying to bite me as I tried to get a grip on him to remove the hook. Finally, I just cut the line and left him to die several yards from the shoreline. An hoiur later, he was only a few inches from the water trying to escape to freedom. I finally killed it with a big stick that I rammed into his mouth and forced it down until he quit kicking.

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:28 pm

OUCH. Im not sure why I am laughing so hard but man oh man was that lovely story.

I don't care who you are thats funny right there.
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:30 pm

beerman1981 wrote:One time while fishing the Snake River, I hooked into a pretty decent fish, and then became engangled in something along the bottom. We were fishing from the bank and had the boat with us, so rather than lose all my gear, we took the boat out to try and retrieve it. Long story short, it finally pulled free from the bottom, and when it finally got reeled in, my 'great catch' was a pair of camouflage boxer shorts full of sand. "Ok, that's odd," I thought. But what really creeped me out was a little bit later when my dad got snagged in the same exact spot.... Hmmmm, the "lost boater?"

I've also caught many sticks, a few crawdads, and a piece of folded up fabric (that when unfolded was filled with a bunch of very small slimy creatures... I still don't know what they were).

beerman
He's back!

Here's a rundown of what you missed in the lifetime you were gone. Gringo Pescador won a WL.com-wide fishing contest, this dude got kicked off WL.com for two weeks, I got turned into "violetpodrodder" by fishnislife and bassackwards, and moderators were installed. Me, bassackwards, Marc Martyn, and Easy Limits.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:49 pm

Hey, I can read iPodrodder's posts again without highlighting them! My recovering retinas thank you!=d>
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:58 pm

panfisher wrote:the wife and i were fishing this area that had some trout in a canal, she hooked what seemed like a whopper in a fairly swift current, when she pulled it up it was a fish skeleton with some flesh still on it. and it was hooked in the mouth????
Tell her to reel it in a little faster next time...

Strangest things I've reeled in would have to be suicidal fish. I've caught fish with the hook through the top of their heads and even mid-torso while still/bobber fishing. Its almost like they had just given up the will to live or just plain blind...

Xiphias Gladius
Petty Officer

Post by Xiphias Gladius » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:39 pm

In the east where I am from, there is no such thing as a striped bass introduced into lakes. One day I was bottom fishing for trout and I caught a striped bass carcass. Someone had thrown out a striper carcass, and I caught it. Now what is the chance of that happening!!! I think I caught the first striped bass on powerbait trout dough and a salmon egg.

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:59 pm

what a hilarious idea for a thread! great stories!

i had an interesting catch when i was flyfishing in rock creek (red lodge, MT) this summer. i was in town for a family reunion and minus all my regular gear so i was just wading around in my running shoes clumsily making my way upstream in this ice-code mountain stream when i hooked into something. when it felt like just dead weight i figured i'd just snagged another branch inbetween the rocks. holding my flyrod high in the air to keep the line tight i ran my hand down the line down toward my feet to see if i could get the fly free without losing it. imagine my surprise when i came down the line to find the hook was embedded in my shin! the water was so cold i'd gone numb and the fly had come downstream while i was walking and i'd set the hook in a dandy shinfish!

other oddities: car keys (had gym membership card on it with free postage for safe return so i mailed them to him! ha ha), fishing rod tips, bats, seagulls, seals, trout with somebody else's ford fender/cowbells still attached, and if anyone has done any alaskan combat-fishing you've caught salmon with a half-dozen or more embedded hooks in the mouth, side, tail, etc.
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA