Help with sockeye fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Jeremy_Lerv
Petty Officer

Help with sockeye fishing

Post by Jeremy_Lerv » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:14 pm

I am new to sockeye salmon fishing and I purchased a whole setup at hooked on toys in wenatchee so I have all the gear that I need, but I'm not sure where to fish at. I'll be fishing from the bank and I've been told to go above wells dam witch makes sense but I've been by there a few times and I dont see where I would go. The bottom side of the dam is rushing with water so I figured I wouldn't be able to fish down there, but again I'm new to this so I need some help. Thanks -Jeremy

Big D

Re: Help with sockeye fishing

Post by Big D » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:32 pm

You'd do better to fish from the East Wenatchee side of the river at Lincoln Rock State Park. If I was shore bound I would fish from the PUD property at the out flow of the fish hatchery and that way you don't have to have a discover pass. Float and jig with a little cured shrimp added is the name of the game in this area.
As far as fishing on the Wenatchee side of the river, I see most folks fishing from the highway just north of the Rocky Reach boat barrier behind the dam and off of the man made peninsula just north of there using the same float set-up.

Jeremy_Lerv
Petty Officer

Re: Help with sockeye fishing

Post by Jeremy_Lerv » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Ok thanks, I will look into that. I live near Orondo so Lincoln Rock is closer than Wells, and I do have a discover pass so that wouldn't be a problem. I see your in Waterville so if you ever need anyone to fish with i'd be glad to tag along! Oh and also, how far should I be casting out and how deep are the fish? Thanks again.