Carp fishing in the us?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
tnj8222
Admiral

RE:Carp fishing in the us?

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:59 pm

Thinking about taking my boy out for carp. He wont care what kind of fish it is but still be impressed with the size.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:41 pm

tnj8222 wrote:Thinking about taking my boy out for carp. He wont care what kind of fish it is but still be impressed with the size.
When I was a kid, my family would go to a lake in Nebraska for the weekend to go fishing. The only thing the lake had was carp and bullhead. 5-10 cousins all around the same age had a blast fishing because the bullhead kept you busy and the possibility of a big ol carp
made it even more fun!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:58 pm

Yup, carp were a LOT of fun back when I was about 16 to 18 when we lived in northern Calif. We kids used a spinning rod and a fly rod, took turns with the rods. Used worms and doughball that my dad made. Caught a carp on Potholes with a spinnerbait that was about 15 to 20 pounds. LOADS of fun, but it was in a qualifier tourney, yes it bit the lure and it was in the mouth. Also had a 5 pound or so carp wrap itself up in my splitshot one day. Fought good on that 6 lb line. lol
Last edited by Amx on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:14 am

Last year end of march I hooked into what I thought was a nice bass on a crankbait on rogers rocks while talking to dave newby. It bolted to deep water and the fight was on. Was very disapointed to see a 6 or so pound carp. Lol. I yelled its a pig!! That got daves attention real good lol.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:20 am

Am I racist? not even. I do know that a lot of foreign people come over here and want to make this place just like home, and carp are a part of home I have caught them transferring their homeland "jewels" (Southeast Idaho). The problem was that seeing it and proving were two different things. I do know that anyone that claims that was a racist statement is either guilty of being a Bucket Biologist (BB) or is a fool, or both. You can try, but trying to play the race card on me will get you nowhere. :-({|= As for race, I am a mongrel, with so many bloods in me that mark other on Federal forms and then write Human just out of rebellion.:bounce:

So, did I cover why I went off well enough? Yes, I am apposed to the bucket biologist, Carp, Bass, or whatever, and I have seen and fought the carp BBs. When I see a European advocating the superiority of carp over trout, it raises some serious red flags.

I will give you, as I implied before, that big carp can be fun to catch. I think it is pretty clear that I have targeted carp, with flies, bait, and a bow. I just know that they can over produce and destroy so many waters. Sometimes carp can even be hard to catch. At times they can be very spooky; especially after I have shot at them a few times. #-o I also know that they can live in sewer water, so I suppose that from a pragmatic point of view, they have a place.

Why don't you guys ask for a specific CARP section in WL? You can pass on your favorite recipes, your special techniques, post your trophies. Then, catch all you can, keep all you catch. You sure can't do that for native species.:)
Last edited by Anglinarcher on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:47 am

No race card from me! We're all a race aren't we? My comment was you seem to be invisible to the Mods sting.

Rock on!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:45 am

37 to 40 years ago I caught a goldfish out of Greenlake, it was a monster! Us kids used to go through a small hole in the fence at the Aqua Theater to fish the perch laden waters that other fishermen couldn't get to. LOL We used to catch perch by the bread bags full! Those were the days.......[thumbsup]

This was a pretty cool thread, unique in it's own way. This thread was started by a newly joined member I think, just a guy asking a question looking for some info. This thread was fun for a few days until someone just had to get all ugly. That's a darn shame..... I sorta feel sorry for ya. [sad]

SO it's the weekend boys and girls, time to go catch some FISH(any species that you like) and have some fun!:)
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:27 am

Invisible? Not at all. Uninterested, most certainly.

It is interactions like this on this topic that makes me feel why bother. When an intervention is done, people complain about "over policing". This and other conversations have been the reason why I am increasing losing interest in this forum. Frankly, I have much better things to do in my life than to ask people to be civil towards each other. So as Bodo says, "Rock On!"
Last edited by Marc Martyn on Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

iwalton
Petty Officer

Post by iwalton » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:21 am

This has been a very informative thread, despite the immaturity displayed by some (one) member. As usual, the topic of carp or "roughfish" seem to raise the blood pressure of the less well-rounded anglers (as seen in a previous thread on the matter)

Haters aside, back to the subject. I've had the most luck for carp with hair rigs, on 8 to 10lb test. Don't get me wrong, I'm usually a largemouth bass guy, but I love catching carp (commons, hopefully I'll one day get a mirror carp) as well. Boilies work well, but are a real pain to make. Fortunately, most of the US carp I've encountered seem just as partial to corn or bread offerings. I think their Euro relatives have seen so many different carp bait presentations that they are a little too educated. We're kind of spoiled when it comes to carp fishing in the US.

Have any of you guys tried bite alarms, like the ones Scorpion Tackle sells? (link)

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:00 am

Marc you do a great job. It's a lot of work to keep up with a forum full of different personalities!
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:02 pm

I was not gonna say anything, but I have to agree with bodo. Aa has verbally attacked me several times with no consequence and many many others seems he gets a hair up his crack and types up a negative essay.

He has great knowledge here and I think thats why he is tolerated. Remember the swiss he was banned! Also knew his stuff and helped alot of people. Aa has also had some very good advice which has personally helped me. But everytime I see him post I cant help but to think why is it allowed lol
Anthony

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:05 pm

Bodofish wrote:No race card from me! We're all a race aren't we? My comment was you seem to be invisible to the Mods sting.

Rock on!
Not as invisible as you think, just not as threatening as some would like to believe.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:09 pm

That sounds about right to me. :) I thought the idea for a carp forum was a good one.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:53 am

"Put a fork in it, it's done!"

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:13 pm

An update on the carp fishing: I've got the carp at lake wasington trained! Log boom park has a large population of LARGE fish. Since chumming is allowed in Lake Washington, it is an ideal place to fish for 'em, although they are not edible. I've hooked to BIG ones that came unbottoned in the past couple of days, but I met this kid down there who I taught to carp fish.

He had been catching little blue gills on the fly, and was interested in me carp fishing. So I let him had some corn, showed him how to set up a swim and get them coming. He didn't catch any yesterday, but He'd been down there since this morning by the time I got there. I showed him how to use corn and bread balls for bait, and the carp there are pretty fearless and readily feed on corn when they get into a feeding frenzy all you do is drop your corn weightless down among them.

I have found them to be SUPER hook and line shy, and have decided that the European hair rig style is the best way to go, because watching them quickly suck in and spit out your bait is super frusterating.

But the kid figured it out and caught the biggest fish of his life. About a 15 to 20 pounder, and another one slightly smaller. It was awesome, and I've got him hooked on catching BIG fish. Heheheh. After you catch one though, they get real spooked, and it takes 'em a while to come back, so you can bass or panfish in the meantime. I also saw some spawned out sockeye or kokanee, which was neat.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:45 pm

natetreat wrote:An update on the carp fishing: I've got the carp at lake wasington trained! Log boom park has a large population of LARGE fish. Since chumming is allowed in Lake Washington, it is an ideal place to fish for 'em, although they are not edible. I've hooked to BIG ones that came unbottoned in the past couple of days, but I met this kid down there who I taught to carp fish.

He had been catching little blue gills on the fly, and was interested in me carp fishing. So I let him had some corn, showed him how to set up a swim and get them coming. He didn't catch any yesterday, but He'd been down there since this morning by the time I got there. I showed him how to use corn and bread balls for bait, and the carp there are pretty fearless and readily feed on corn when they get into a feeding frenzy all you do is drop your corn weightless down among them.

I have found them to be SUPER hook and line shy, and have decided that the European hair rig style is the best way to go, because watching them quickly suck in and spit out your bait is super frusterating.

But the kid figured it out and caught the biggest fish of his life. About a 15 to 20 pounder, and another one slightly smaller. It was awesome, and I've got him hooked on catching BIG fish. Heheheh. After you catch one though, they get real spooked, and it takes 'em a while to come back, so you can bass or panfish in the meantime. I also saw some spawned out sockeye or kokanee, which was neat.
I took my daughter down there to play on the jungle gyms about 10am. Walked the dock before going to the play area. I stopped and talked to that kid, had two bags of corn, a fly and a spinning outfit. He said he had caught one and was waiting for them to come back. He was pretty stoked about it. I was hoping he'd hook one up with the fly rod while I was there, but no such luck.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:18 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:
natetreat wrote:An update on the carp fishing: I've got the carp at lake wasington trained! Log boom park has a large population of LARGE fish. Since chumming is allowed in Lake Washington, it is an ideal place to fish for 'em, although they are not edible. I've hooked to BIG ones that came unbottoned in the past couple of days, but I met this kid down there who I taught to carp fish.

I took my daughter down there to play on the jungle gyms about 10am. Walked the dock before going to the play area. I stopped and talked to that kid, had two bags of corn, a fly and a spinning outfit. He said he had caught one and was waiting for them to come back. He was pretty stoked about it. I was hoping he'd hook one up with the fly rod while I was there, but no such luck.
Hahahaa! Yea, he was really excited. Small world! I'm glad I got him hooked into big fish. The carp never came back after they caught 'em out, maybe they'll be back after they forget about the trauma. The wife and I went out this evening and caught a bunch of blue gill and perch though.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Awesome job Nate! Giving the younger generation a healthy addiction........ LOL

I did toss a line into the pond near NSCC but to no avail about a week ago. Lake WA here I come! LOL

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:54 am

Now the word is out, and the carp are wiley. I like to fish right at the near end of the dock at log boom because you can see 'em, but I think they're scared of that spot now, I may have to find a spot further down the dock. After six of 'em were caught, they're turning their cheek at the corn. They're dumb enough, I bet in a couple days they forget all about it.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:24 am

Had a great day at lake washington today, report coming soon...
Attachments
Photo-0121.jpg
Photo-0121.jpg (268.06 KiB) Viewed 2114 times