NorthernPike Minnow

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
THester
Petty Officer

NorthernPike Minnow

Post by THester » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:28 pm

New to the Tri cities washington area, I am in need of any kinf od information on how to catch Pike minnow! Catfish seem to love it, but i dont know where niether how to catch them! Anyone have any inside advice on the subject? Ive already checked out the WDFW website and read all of that info but some local fisherman advice would be great.

ResQ
Commander

RE:NorthernPike Minnow

Post by ResQ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:43 pm

worms work pretty well.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:29 am

worms on the bottom in slow moving river water. Or in lakes. The pikemonnow will eat anything, spinners, corkies etc. I'm not familiar with the eastside enough to know what spot would be best, but once you find 'em you'll not be able to keep them off a big nightcrawler. Or a little one.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:02 am

I found them closer to the shores. Used a worm and bobber and caught ALOT! from 1/4 pounders to 4-5 pounders!

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:55 am

I'll check with the pikeminnow folks and let you know the hotspots over in your area. I won't be in back in the office until Monday though.

stace
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SammamishCrawfisher
Petty Officer

Post by SammamishCrawfisher » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:47 am

where can you catch them near bellevue?

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:36 am

I'm not familiar with anything outside of the Columbia River or outside of my Region. But I imagine they are in just about every lake!

You can contact (425) 775-1311. That is the office number for Region 4 (Bellvue area). They should be able to point you in the right direction!

stace
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:47 am

I think they will almost bite anything.I've caught many on Roadrunner Jigs while fishing for other species.

Power to the northern pikeminnow,sorry,I had too and they STANK!

SammamishCrawfisher
Petty Officer

Post by SammamishCrawfisher » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:54 am

well i was told they eat near the bottom so how do i get the bait near the bottom but not on the bottom?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:20 am

A hook, a worm, and a split shot.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:22 am

I've found you tube is good with videos,,, maybe they'll have a vid on inflating a worm. I use a syringe to put air in a nightcrawler if I'm still fishing from the shore with worm, sliding sinker. I prefer bobber though. You could try something like drop shotting also from a dock, but, I usually use that ice fishing with great success on perch, trout, bluegill, crappie. Crawdads would probably love those sunfish that should be easy to catch when the water warms,,,, LOL this year it might be July though LOL!!!!! Would that be a game fish though and if so is it legal,,,, I don't know, I wouldn't care but maybe enforcement officials would.....???? You'll need someone elses input..
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

SammamishCrawfisher
Petty Officer

Post by SammamishCrawfisher » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:34 am

will salmon eggs work?

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:53 am

LOL I think what some people might be thinking is: fish for something else, a different species of fish, and you will catch your squawfish if you are fishing waters that contain squawfish. I've caught them on the Spotted Bear in MT using spoons and flies while fishing for cutthroat. I've caught them in Lake Wa while tossing lures for cutts or bass and dragging worm bits trying to locate perch. I caught them out of a small lake near Cle Elum fishing for trout, tossing lures. My understanding is that they are an aggressive fish, trebble hook and lure is what I would use, try a heavy kastmaster and cover a lot of water. I'd rather avoid them.
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

SammamishCrawfisher
Petty Officer

Post by SammamishCrawfisher » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:58 am

yeah but i see it as the only use for them that i have heard of and they say to kill them so i think itsa win win kill time help salmon and get crawfish bait out of the deal lol

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:00 am

Sounds GREAT to me! They are good fighters on light tackle! I'll give em that!

Mossy
Lieutenant

Post by Mossy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:04 am

catch them all the time bass fishing. Spinner baits especially

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:04 am

SammamishCrawfisher wrote:yeah but i see it as the only use for them that i have heard of and they say to kill them so i think itsa win win kill time help salmon and get crawfish bait out of the deal lol
It would be a kick in the pants to get into a ton of them just to yank em out of the water and have a good fight. Let us know if you do well!

SammamishCrawfisher
Petty Officer

Post by SammamishCrawfisher » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:06 am

i got a rod from my uncle when he passed and it make trout feel like salmon sounds like this is the right kinda thing to use it for :D

SammamishCrawfisher
Petty Officer

Post by SammamishCrawfisher » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:08 am

im going to try idylwood park tomorrow afternoon i will update afterwards wish me luck :)

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:40 am

SammamishCrawfisher wrote:im going to try idylwood park tomorrow afternoon i will update afterwards wish me luck :)
Sounds good! Best of luck on it! I used to scuba dive for crawdads in Lake WA, it was truly fun tipping over debris and huntin/chassin those bugs down while under water. Tasty!