Using nets

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Using nets

Post by fishunt83 » Fri May 04, 2007 10:59 am

Just read in a previous post on someone who questioned nets. How many of you use them?

I only use a net when I am fishing in the sound because the fish are much bigger.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

tcb
Warrant Officer

RE:Using nets

Post by tcb » Fri May 04, 2007 1:23 pm

I use a (knotless) net for trout. My boat is a fish/ski so it sits a little higher out of the water, the use of a net makes it easier for me to bring the fish on board. I never use a net for Bass as I have read that it damages their skin.

WDFW recommends never using a net.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 04, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cole steffens
Petty Officer

Post by cole steffens » Fri May 04, 2007 3:43 pm

i normally would only use a net landing big fish in the sound but im considering buying a knotless net to reduce handling of trout during catch and release
if we are good to are lakes and streams they will be good to us

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Fri May 04, 2007 3:56 pm

I know I will get blasted for saying this, but I have a fondness for trout in the pan. Because of this, I use a knotted net (I know, I know) because I do not release the fish. I know this damages the fishes skin and may hurt them, but it is a whole lot better than being hoisted out of the water by a hook in your stomach. If the fish is small or borderline, I do not use the net in case I need to let it go.

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Fri May 04, 2007 4:28 pm

I use a knotless net, always have, always will. Used one for years before the WDFW mandated their use in selective gear and fly fishing only waters.

needabiggerboat
Petty Officer

Post by needabiggerboat » Fri May 04, 2007 9:35 pm

:-k
Please could someone give me a accurate discription of a knotles net.
A picture would be even better.
P.S. I have always used a net for fishing just the way my grandpa and dad do. We also do eat most of the fish we catch. Atleast my wife and three boys do.
Fishing or Hunting any thing in the outdoors is what I live for.
To all, the number for poachers is on the bottom of you fishing license! Use it! They will come!

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:56 pm

I never need to net it unless its in the sound. I will always eat the fish if I think its the right size and its a trout. I love fish damnit!
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Sat May 05, 2007 12:04 am

I have been wanting to buy a rubber net and that will probably be my next fishing investment. It will be very gentle on the fish and much nicer to have then a standard net.

Bill G
Petty Officer

Post by Bill G » Sat May 05, 2007 12:35 am

I finally broke down and bought a frabil cradle because of the toothy critters in lake Tapps. The smallies even work well in it. The only problem, it does take two people to operate it. The guy on the pole can't work the cradle at the same time. Think real hard before lipping a tiger or even gilling one. I lost quite a bit of finger meat on the first one I caught and it was only 2 feet long.
I guess it is up to you how you do the release but I got to get a picture first.
Bill
I'm not in the toilet yet, but I'm definitely standing on the rim.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat May 05, 2007 1:55 pm

Here are a few knotless net examples, however there are many types available in your local sporting goods store:

Personally, I only pull out my net when I am 100% ready to harvest a fish. If ever I plan to release a fish I see no reason to bring it on board. I will fight it until it is tired enough for the hook to be removed along side the boat, and if it comes off in the fight, oh well!

Matt
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun May 06, 2007 1:58 am

Another nice thing about them is is that they are a lot stiffer when they are knotless and so the fish don't get all tangled up in the net and if they throw the hook it's not hard to get it out of the net..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sun May 06, 2007 6:30 pm

I think I have 5 nets in my basement and I dont go fishing without one and when I go away for the weekend Ill bring 2 or 3 just incase something happens to one of them. Short story; when I was 10 me and my cuz went on a 2 week trip with our grandparents around the state fished mosses , potholes , banks , the methow river , and a couple more. Nothing not one fish, but we had one, HUGE as far as I can remember and our grandmother told us to grab the net, nah we dont need one. So to this day I never go fishing with out the net. This weekend I used the net 1 time but with out the net we couldnt have landed him and I cant remeber the last time I used the net but Im scared to death of having a pole in the water with no net