Best dock/shore/pier fishing in Spokane County?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
SpokFishin
Angler

Best dock/shore/pier fishing in Spokane County?

Post by SpokFishin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:02 am

I don't own a boat and am inquiring about the best dock, shore, or pier fishing in Spokane county. I've Googled but haven't found anything concrete. I've heard Silver Lake and Newman Lake have nice piers/docks. Any other suggestions?

The other option is to find a lake in Spokane County with "cheap" or "inexpensive" canoe or row boat rentals.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

CraigMcElroy
Angler

RE:Best dock/shore/pier fishing in Spokane County?

Post by CraigMcElroy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:54 am

We are in the same boat you are. I can tell you this much, we were at Newman Thursday, Saturday and fished from their dock. It is a nice dock, but it's right next to the very busy public boat launch so no fish anywhere to be found. We are going to try Silver this week sometime.

If you find any place that's any good, please share.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:27 pm

The whole west and southwest shoreline is available for fishing in Fish Lake in Spokane. They've also got a small dock which is immediately in to deep water. Interestingly enough the whole southern end is fairly wade-able (I've done it). The western shoreline as you approach the northern end can be quite deep immediately to shore. Fish I've seen caught out of there include Tiger trout, bullheads and a plethora of small pumpkinseeds (which have been slowly increasing in size).

West Medical lake has a huge amount of fish-able shoreline from the whole southern end to the western end. There's also a pay-to-fish dock southern end.

Medical Lake is a selective-gear fishery but has numerous spots for fishing near the Eastern shore (cliffs), western shore in spots, as well as a dock at the north end of the lake (although north end looks shallow). There is also an excellent spot on the western shore which holds monster largemouth. Remember though, it is a selective gear fishery, so if you target the largemouths, you'll have to do so with a single hook lure, unscented, no bait and barbless.

Silver Lake is my personal favorite, but I've never had any luck fishing from the dock. It's way too shallow and weedy. I actually wade out into the water (fairly shallow in the north end. Some people have luck fishing the shoreline on either side of the boat launch, but remember the boat launch is off-limits for fishing or swimming (although I've seen kids swimming off the dock). You can pay $5/day to fish off Ruby's resort docks.

Liberty Lake has a dock area which is high off the water - water's deep and clear. Bring a long-handled net if you're gonna go for anything heavy.

CraigMcElroy
Angler

Post by CraigMcElroy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:05 am

Thank you very much for all that info Jay, that is awesome to know. Can you tell me where fish lake is in Spokane? I am pretty new to the area.

Thanks bro

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:05 am

Jay K wrote:The whole west and southwest shoreline is available for fishing in Fish Lake in Spokane. They've also got a small dock which is immediately in to deep water. Interestingly enough the whole southern end is fairly wade-able (I've done it). The western shoreline as you approach the northern end can be quite deep immediately to shore. Fish I've seen caught out of there include Tiger trout, bullheads and a plethora of small pumpkinseeds (which have been slowly increasing in size).

West Medical lake has a huge amount of fish-able shoreline from the whole southern end to the western end. There's also a pay-to-fish dock southern end.

Medical Lake is a selective-gear fishery but has numerous spots for fishing near the Eastern shore (cliffs), western shore in spots, as well as a dock at the north end of the lake (although north end looks shallow). There is also an excellent spot on the western shore which holds monster largemouth. Remember though, it is a selective gear fishery, so if you target the largemouths, you'll have to do so with a single hook lure, unscented, no bait and barbless.

Silver Lake is my personal favorite, but I've never had any luck fishing from the dock. It's way too shallow and weedy. I actually wade out into the water (fairly shallow in the north end. Some people have luck fishing the shoreline on either side of the boat launch, but remember the boat launch is off-limits for fishing or swimming (although I've seen kids swimming off the dock). You can pay $5/day to fish off Ruby's resort docks.

Liberty Lake has a dock area which is high off the water - water's deep and clear. Bring a long-handled net if you're gonna go for anything heavy.
Some I'll second, some I'll disagree with. Liberty Lake has a public dock but the water is not that deep off it. Even at the longest casting distance, it is not more then 8' deep at full pool. I took my boat out just to find out. Still, early and late in the season when the water is cooling, it can and is good fishing. Just watch the fishing hours.

Silver Lake is similar to Liberty in that the best fishing from the new fishing dock is early or late in the year. Still, when the perch and crappie are in there, it can be hot and fun. Still, I'll stick to my boat.

Williams Lake, South of Cheney, is close to Spokane, and it has a couple of pay to fish docks that are good to great at times.

The water off Newman Lake's public dock is shallow, very shallow. I use to take my float tube and use it there and quite frankly I was hitting the tops of the rocks and mud way way way out. In fact, of all the lakes in the region, I have damaged more boat props by not being careful at Newman lake's launch then any other lake, except for Sprague. Still, once you get out far enough, it drops pretty well (about 40 yards I'd say). At one time, fishing at night for Bullhead cats was a blast in Newman, but I only found it good in the early spring.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.