Lake Roosevelt Walleye

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Lake Roosevelt Walleye

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Hey...I heard some people were already catching walleye at the Kettle mouth. I have fished Roosevelt for years and only hooked into 3 walleye, but P.B. after P.B. smallmouth. However, I have never fished North of Seven Bays. I usually fish around Hawk Creek, the Island straight out from Seven Bays, and the Spokane mouth, but it has way too much fishing pressure usually. Is North a better bet for some 'eyes? Using google-earth I noticed many creek mouths in that area, which I know are great, but I am unsure if it is a better bet to try further north, or simply dedicate more time in my usual spots. Hoping to get out soon. Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eustace
Lieutenant

RE:Lake Roosevelt Walleye

Post by eustace » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:36 pm

I here the same thing although, I here the fish up at KF was just as bad as it was around Seven. I have done my best fishing toward the end of march or between june 1st till july east of porcupine bay and last year I did great at little falls from shore. You need a tribal license but def worth it. As for wich is better I think it is a year to year thing.
Well its not called Catching!

Basshunter048
Petty Officer

Post by Basshunter048 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:53 am

I'm no walleye pro but have been fishing for them at roosevelt now for around 15 years. I've fished from porcupine bay all the way up to the mouth of the kettle, and have had mixed results from one to the other. All I can say is that walleye are some of the most tempremental, finnicky fish that i've ever fished for. One day you can get skunked and the next limit out fishing the same spots,,,,, go figure :scratch:

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:50 pm

For me this lake is extremely difficult to fish. Growing up in WI lakes hardly break 50 ft of water...in fact 25ft is probably a good average. I just don't know how to locate them I guess... the few I have caught have been while I was bass fishing throwing tubes or jigs off of rock structure, but these fish seemed to be isolated because we could not hook into any more after giving it a go. any tips? Cast a jig toward shore? I dunno anything will help my poor brain. thanks

chironomid_guy
Petty Officer

Post by chironomid_guy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:42 pm

Aaron

I fish Roosevelt lots in the spring/summer. The majority of my angling is in the Kettle Falls /Colville flats areas. I have found that bottom bouncing has produced the most fish (for me) and allows me to cover lots of ground. If you find fish that are stacked up on a flat you can get some nice fish jigging. My trolling speed will vary with the elevation of the resevoir. I try to stick around 1-1.5mph. As long as the botom bouncer is just tickling to bottom as your moving, your gonna be close. Use a good fish finder to locate fish and keep an eye on the water temp. I recently bought an underwater camera and it was very curious to find out that lots of times when the finder shows fish it was weeds, suckers or whitefish. Once I have used the camera to confirm that I am over Walleye, I tend to work the area harder. Hope that helps and doesnt make you head hurt. I will be at or around the KF area all of July and August 2009 BTW.

Cheers
The Chironomid Guy

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”