When will LW crappie heat up? (Larsen Lake also)

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

RE:When will LW crappie heat up? (Larsen Lake also)

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu May 01, 2008 1:00 am

Matt19 wrote:For those of you who have fished Larsen (Blueberry), is there a way to get a float fube on there? I've always wanted to try it but never checked it out.

Find any opening in the bushes and paddle yourself out. The problem is that the bottom of the lake is really mucky. So you are going to get dirty when you start wading in.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu May 01, 2008 2:33 am

yeah you can get a tube in there but like Shad_Eating_Grin said its mucky as heck. kinda stinky to. just standing on the dock you can smell it lol.

Shad_Eating_Grin do you know what kind of panfish are in there besides crappie? is there bluegill and perch? how about trout?
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu May 01, 2008 7:05 am

tnj8222 wrote:yeah you can get a tube in there but like Shad_Eating_Grin said its mucky as heck. kinda stinky to. just standing on the dock you can smell it lol.

Shad_Eating_Grin do you know what kind of panfish are in there besides crappie? is there bluegill and perch? how about trout?
Here's what the WDFW website says

"Some native cutthroat are present, but the principal species are yellow perch, largemouth bass and brown bullhead catfish."

I think their description is a bit off. I've never seen trout or perch caught there, although they may be present. I've caught pumpkinseeds and crappie from there, and have seen the bass. Haven't seen any bullhead cats (have not targeted them), but it would not surprise me if they are in there, since they can live anywhere, especially mucky stinky lake bottoms. LOL

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:22 am

i was at the end of the dock today i leaned over and skipped a 5 inch senko under the dock. first cast and my line went limp, the fish was swimming towards deeper water so i set hook but it jumped and shook the hook. it was about 3 pounds or so. about 30 minutes later i did the same thing and skipped it under the dock again, this fish just tried going out to the right which would have wrapped me around a pole. so i horsed it out, i got it around the dock and pulled it to the shore. i had to get off the dock and walk around some bushes with my pole in the air. got to the waters edge and lipped it. biggest i have got out of this lake yet. a solid 3 pounder.
Attachments
5_1_08_jpg.JPG
5_1_08_jpg.JPG (38.31 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:36 am

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:yeah you can get a tube in there but like Shad_Eating_Grin said its mucky as heck. kinda stinky to. just standing on the dock you can smell it lol.

"Some native cutthroat are present, but the principal species are yellow perch, largemouth bass and brown bullhead catfish."
I think their description is a bit off. I've never seen trout or perch caught there, although they may be present. I've caught pumpkinseeds and crappie from there, and have seen the bass. Haven't seen any bullhead cats (have not targeted them), but it would not surprise me if they are in there, since they can live anywhere, especially mucky stinky lake bottoms. LOL
a guy today told me there was bluegill in there but im sure he doesnt know the difference between a bluegill and a pumpkin seed, he didnt seem like he knew anything about fishing at all, nice guy though. you def wouldnt think there are any cutts in there by the look of the lake, although everything i read about the lake says its connected to lake washington and samammish. usually in a lake that has trout you will find a powebait container around the lake somewhere. i walked around the shoreline yesterday and only saw a few small bobbers that are usually used for crappie.
Anthony

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Thu May 01, 2008 4:06 pm

tnj8222 wrote:
Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:

a guy today told me there was bluegill in there but im sure he doesnt know the difference between a bluegill and a pumpkin seed, he didnt seem like he knew anything about fishing at all, nice guy though. you def wouldnt think there are any cutts in there by the look of the lake, although everything i read about the lake says its connected to lake washington and samammish. usually in a lake that has trout you will find a powebait container around the lake somewhere. i walked around the shoreline yesterday and only saw a few small bobbers that are usually used for crappie.
Nice fish tnj :)

There are some small cuts in there and some bullheads I have caught both. I have also caught crappie and bass. I have never caught any perch, but I think if there are perch you most likely wouldn't catch those other species without running into a perch! So maybe none in there. The cuts I've caught have been very small, 6-7". Caught them on small jigs and spinners. Bullheads around mid-summer in the evening on nightcrawlers. Five years ago I lived about a mile from there and fished it for a few months briefly in spring/summer one year. Never did as well as tnj on the bass though!

In my earlier post in this thread I said I saw a brown trout get caught there. It was a brown. It was stunted and ugly, with a big head and skinny long body. It took us a minute to figure out what it was because it was so dark. And I wiggled like an eel. Very disturbing.
Suzanne

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Thu May 01, 2008 4:08 pm

tnj8222 wrote:
hookemdanno wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:got another one today. but what sucks is i had a HOG on it jumped right after i set hook then dove. must have been a log there becuase the fish wouldnt budge after it got down. it finally pulled free and my senko came loose off the log or whatever it was. the fish was a easy 5 pounds. got my adrenaline going good.
Hi tnj8222,

You used senkos. I see from the picture that you just rig it in the middle? How do you work it? I have a pack of senkos, and have only used them once, with no luck. Thanks.
you just texas rig them. heres a step by step that shows you how. http://www.wikihow.com/Texas-Rig-a-Plastic-Worm
you dont work them, they work themselves lol. thats a classic saying for senkos, basically you cast it near where fish should be. under a dock, to some brush, or lilly pads. you let the senko fall, once it hits bottom let it sit for a second or two then lift it about a foot and let it drop again. they are very easy to work. if you see anythnig at all in the line, like a small movement, or a "pop" in the line (which comes from the fish inhaling the senko) then reel down and set hook.
tnj, thanks for the tips. I will try them again and "do nothing" :)
Suzanne

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri May 02, 2008 12:41 pm

I've done real well on large perch and bass in the Montlake cut itself.Its very deep in that channel.I use the weight on the bottom with 2 worm hooks above.One has worm other has bullhead meat.
As for the warnings on fish!! I'll take my chances on fish before beef and fowl.Ever heard of Anthrax in fish or laughing fish??I worry more about the FDA in store bought stuff then what we catch.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Fri May 02, 2008 3:16 pm

Sp larson lake is near phantom lake in bellevue cause i have caught a 5 lb bass in phantom but i have never fished larson i guess i may have to try it

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue May 13, 2008 3:27 pm

so you guys know the crappie ar biting pretty good right now at larson lake. i have been getting lots on the outside edge of the pads. i have gotten 4 that are about 1 pound and a bunch of smaller ones.
Anthony

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Tue May 13, 2008 4:06 pm

woo hoo! That's what I've been waiting for... Might take some time off from work this week... See ya there!

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:51 am

yeah im starting to like that pond. caught pretty much all of my warm water fish from there so far this year lol.
Anthony

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:11 pm

I went out on the raft last friday evening with no luck for crappie at larson.
I fished the edge of the pads as well as in the bouy out there, and near where the creek comes into it.
My red/white crappie jigs didnt work!.
What were you doing tnj? any pics?

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:12 pm

I fished the edge of the pads as well as in the bouy out there, and near where the creek comes into it.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:14 pm

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm

i was just fishing off of the dock. thats actually the only place i have caught them so far. i just took slab kings advice with the jig under a bobber about 14 inches. i used a really small piece of styrofoam, it was actually a old bobber i just cut it into small pieces. i just got it close to the pads and tried to keep it still. im not a fan of putting action into crappie jigs. i think the less they move the better. if i dont get a hit within about 15 seconds i will move it to the next pad. really small chartrouse jigs seemed to work the best for me, about 1/32. heres a couple of them i kept, they were very tasty, lol. i caught a bunch of smaller ones to, these ones were both over a pound. when i cleaned them there egg sacks were still very small, kinda makes me wonder if they will be spawning on the full moon. im thinking the spawn will be a little late this year.

im guessing that bouy is marking something? i wonder what it is?
Attachments
larson_lake_crappie_jpg.JPG
larson_lake_crappie_jpg.JPG (20.27 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 16, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Nice fish. Ill be back out there again and see if i can get any.

Samething about the bouy. I think some random person put it there cause its just a boat bumper thing on a rope.

Lovelight
Angler

Post by Lovelight » Mon May 26, 2008 6:07 pm

Anyone having any luck on crappie at Phantom Lake? I fished it every day this weekend and caught a lunker largemouth but no panfish. I'll post a picture when I figure out how to.

It used to be decent for crappie but I'm not sure if I'm late, early, or maybe using the wrong type of jigs. I think I used every color combination in the tackle box.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Mon May 26, 2008 6:55 pm

All i hear about in Phantom is people who caught crappie thier when they were growing up in the 70's and 80's...ive never seen one caught though.

Lovelight
Angler

Post by Lovelight » Mon May 26, 2008 8:48 pm

Hmmm . . . I may need to try a different lake. Any hassles taking a boat to Larson Lake? I thought I read that boats aren't allowed but I'm not sure why. It seems like it would be a lot easier to fish the pads from the water.

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”