Too Early for Alpine Lake Fishing??

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fullstringer98
Warrant Officer

Too Early for Alpine Lake Fishing??

Post by fullstringer98 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:59 pm

Hey guys! Im on spring break and plan on going on a coiple hikes. I was thinking about how Id love to go back to Lake 22 on mountain loop highway but I am sure at this time of year its still snowed in. Im afraid most alpine lakes are going to be this time of year. I really want to be able to fish, because its always the icing on the cake for me on hikes. The fish dont have to be big, Im just lookin' for anything. And because its with the family the hike cant be too long either, dont want a whiney little brother. I Thanks guys I would greatly appreciate and ideas or suggestions!! :cheers:

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Re: Too Early for Alpine Lake Fishing??

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:47 pm

Im not a Alpine fisherperson. I would think this time of year alpine lakes will still be pretty iced over. JMO from hikes Ive been on this time of year. I was up a week ago in the No cascades area and everything was still pretty froze over. Look into the "lakes" or reports to see when peeps were fishing.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:07 pm

You are spot on in your assessment of the alpine lakes during this time of the year. Because of their elevation and the fact that they are usually found in depressions that prevent most sunlight from hitting them outside of the summer months, most alpine lakes won't be ice free for at least another month. I don't think that Lake 22 is actually up that high in elevation so you may get lucky with the mild winter we had this year. Best bet is to check recent trip reports on a few hiking websites. Here is a link to one that was done on Lake 22 last year around this time: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-repor ... 7005060028

fullstringer98
Warrant Officer

Post by fullstringer98 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:33 pm

I saw Beaver Lake does not get snowed in, thats where I plan on going! [thumbup]

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”