Palmer Lake Kokanee

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Why2Fish
Angler

Palmer Lake Kokanee

Post by Why2Fish » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:18 am

I havent seen any recent reports of kokanee catch in Palmer lake Okanogan county. Anyone seen any fish (kokanee) activity in the lake in the last 2 months or so? Anyone fished it lately?

Bent hook pontoon
Petty Officer

Re: Palmer Lake Kokanee

Post by Bent hook pontoon » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:39 pm

We fished it early in 2016 with great success but heard they had a issue with those mites in the fish gills. I would like to know what we are looking at there for spring as well. Hard for me to go there when Chelan is just as far to drive from Okanogan. But at the same time Roosevelt is about the same drive too... oh where to go when Conconully is closed...

Why2Fish
Angler

Post by Why2Fish » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:02 pm

Copepod infestation wiped out the kok population in Palmer in 2016. All year classes. There will be no kok fishing in Palmer for at least 3 years. Probably longer

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:25 am

anyone have some hard confirmation of this besides hear-say?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

splishsplash
Angler

Post by splishsplash » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:40 pm

I was told the same thing by a friend that works at the Omak hatchery. Very bad infestation he says. They were trapping fish in the creek and got zero Kokanee. This population is where they get a lot of the eggs they need. They are worried for more than just Palmer if there is not a stock of eggs to get from this lake. He also told me that he is hearing similar reports from Curlew, heavy infestation there. He was going to go check it out but I haven't heard back from him in that regard.
Perhaps contacting one of the Bios at the hatchery would be in order?

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:16 pm

Buffalo Lake is heavily infested also. We found them on Kokanee and Rainbow. I talked with a tribal biologist that said there was nothing that could stop the infestation short of draining the entire lake because the lice can live in the water even without a host fish. Seems that if it's not one thing screwing up fishing then it's another.

Bogey
Angler

Post by Bogey » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:18 am

We have family property on Palmer - been there for 50+ years - the kok population was totally wiped out this year and as hard as I've tried to get concrete answers about the future, the info seems to not be "absolute", but "appears" to indicate we're not going to see kok fishing for some time up there... [sad]

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:22 am

Bogey wrote:We have family property on Palmer - been there for 50+ years - the kok population was totally wiped out this year and as hard as I've tried to get concrete answers about the future, the info seems to not be "absolute", but "appears" to indicate we're not going to see kok fishing for some time up there... [sad]
Why2Fish gave me contact persons and I did telephone interviews. Here's the article I just published. It will answer a lot of your questions. Thanks Why2Fish for alerting our members about this story.

http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ ... spx?id=758

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".