favorite trout dough

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
goonatic
Commander

favorite trout dough

Post by goonatic » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 am

whats your favorite trout dough brand and color? for me at steel lake, the good old, rainbow nugget seems to be the ticket. and yes, ive done side by side tests with the rainbow pre formed nugget, versus the rainbow dough that i scooped into a nugget and the pre formed nugget had an uncanny ability to win most of the time. [confused]

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: favorite trout dough

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:57 am

None. Power eggs and or anything with the Gulp Dipp'in Sauce, roe flavor. Hands down better than PB.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:43 am

I've been having awesome success with a blend. Garlic power egg above the hook, and a dough ball mixed with red Pautzke's Fire Bait in salmon roe scent, Rainbow Powerbait in salmon egg scent, and Garlic Powerbait. I use a bit more garlic than the other two when making my dough ball.

It's been knocking them dead. Other guys fishing right next to me getting pissed because they aren't catching anything and I'm getting hit almost as soon as my gear touches bottom.

kingroobes
Petty Officer

Post by kingroobes » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:04 pm

I never use dough bait anymore. Too messy and falls off the hook too easily. The rainbow power nuggets are da bomb. Power eggs are great because you can fling em a mile and they stay on the hook. Orange PE gets the most fish for me. Sometimes a little garlic sawse gets em. I don't know why but trout love the garlic. Still, hard to beat worms and salmon eggs.
"I'm the best mayne, I deed it"-Eli

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Garlic is the ticket, It has outfished the others on a regular basis.
Eat, sleep, fish

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:59 pm

wow! a unanimous garlic vote!!! never actually used garlic flavored baits for trout, seemed weird i guess, will have to go and get some!! and what do you mean gulp dippin sauce? is it the powerbait trout dip?
Bodofish wrote:None. Power eggs and or anything with the Gulp Dipp'in Sauce, roe flavor. Hands down better than PB.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:21 am

goonatic wrote:wow! a unanimous garlic vote!!! never actually used garlic flavored baits for trout, seemed weird i guess, will have to go and get some!! and what do you mean gulp dippin sauce? is it the powerbait trout dip?
Bodofish wrote:None. Power eggs and or anything with the Gulp Dipp'in Sauce, roe flavor. Hands down better than PB.
Exactly. I tried all three flavors (and one from last year). Lowland opener the number one bite it in under a minute and more like 30 seconds was the roe flavor. #2 was last years worm flavor. Garlic and corn didn't do much. I limited in an hour after the hordes stopped scaring all the fish by casting their 2 pound spinners and 4 pound plunking rigs...... The guys next to me were just going, "what the......", when I started pulling them in one after another. I hung out for another hour and waited for the 4 of them to limit using the roe and worm.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:09 am

Last edited by mizm05 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:39 pm

great lake whichever one that is lol

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Looks like a fresh dump of brood stock.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:58 pm

It's a private lake in my community. Yeah they stock it annually with a few thousand fish ranging from the 10-12 inch range up to the 6 and 7 pounders. We just had a derby and those were my biggest 2 on derby day. I ended up in 2nd place. Was in first with about an hour to go and then this young lady comes walking up to the table with a 7 lb beast. It really was a beautiful fish. If you didn't know any better, you would have thought it was a steelie.

Rumor has it that one of the tagged fish for the derby was over 20 lbs. Nobody caught any of the tagged fish for the derby so they are still out there as far as I know. Locals who have lived here for many years said it used to be pretty common to hear about 10-15 pounders coming out of our lake. There are browns and cutts too, but not many.

The old guys who manage the stocking said the fish in the bottom pic was a plant this year, and the big guy in the top pic was most likely a hold over. I'm no expert...but I can tell you they were fun to bring in and the meat is beautiful.

And they love garlic...LOL

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:14 pm

No doubt they were fun!!!! It's hard to beat a big trout on the end of a line. I guess that's why we chase the steel and salmon..... Caught a 20" on the Yak last weekend. Of course on the fly.
I don't post pics too often anymore because the pic always seems to get snapped as the fish is thrashing. I'm not really squishing the p!$$ out of it. It went clear across the net the long way. Anyways, here it is:

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:23 pm

Nice fish! Love their coloring.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:31 pm

The color is really quite something. Caught another one on that trip that looked like it was a cross between a Bow and a Brown. The lower half of the body was golden and it had spots like a brown. Unfortunately it leaped right out of the rubber net as the camera was being brought to bear.

Hijack done..... [wink]

fishtremble
Petty Officer

Post by fishtremble » Tue May 06, 2014 12:14 pm

The dough works okay for me. I do prefer the Power Eggs, as they will keep coming back for it. I have had good luck with a garlic scent also.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Post by drysuperfly52 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:59 am

one orange, one white garlic scented power eggs w/ 4ft leader.. works everywhere i almost all the time.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 07, 2014 8:07 am

OK I gotta do it....... My favorite dough is a woolly bugger.......

bluebiller
Petty Officer

Post by bluebiller » Sat May 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Chartreuse green PB and Gulp roe spray. Used either deep fishing or on surface with bobber set-up. Works about 2/3rd's of the time.
bluebiller
Kent, WA
"fish-on"

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:06 pm

Green gulp eggs with either anise or shrimp gel... love the dough but falls off to easily whereas i can sometime catch a limit on one 2 egg rig.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:49 am

I use two chartreuse pb eggs and cheese flavored pd dough. Limit out almost every outing with that combination