Nitro bait/eggs

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Xiphias Gladius
Petty Officer

Nitro bait/eggs

Post by Xiphias Gladius » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Has anyone tried Nitro bait for trout? I bought a jar of the dough and eggs thinking they will be like powerbait. Anyone with nitro bait experiance?

gpc
Admiral

RE:Nitro bait/eggs

Post by gpc » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:54 pm

I am not a huge fan of the dough bait, I have had a few jars but they never really produced. The eggs are a diffrent story though. I like the eggs. The jars are about twice the size as berkely and they have way more colors than berkley, but still offer the traditional colors as well. I usually put some scent on my power eggs, so they work the same for me as berkely does.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:35 pm

I can't imagine they would be too much different, some prefer Nitro others like Berkely Powerbait...

Nitro is usually significantly cheaper and has a lot more colors.

I don't plunk too much but when I do it's always with Powerbait. I've used it from the start and I don't see myself changing to Nitro anytime soon. I don't buy much dough bait so when I do I'm willing to spend a bit more to go with Powerbait, just cause I'm confident with it, and confidence matters a lot to me...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Next time get some gulp. Make sure its the floating kind. It actually leaves an oil slick in the water. Its what I use at Rufus and we outfish most of the other bait fishermen, size wise.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:26 pm

northfork wrote:Next time get some gulp. Make sure its the floating kind. It actually leaves an oil slick in the water. Its what I use at Rufus and we outfish most of the other bait fishermen, size wise.
The Gulp! eggs out fish the regular Berkely power eggs but they dont last nearly as long. When I am done with the regular Berkely power eggs I just throw them in the tackle box and I have never had one go bad. But with the Gulp! eggs, if you so much as leave the cap unscrewed a couple of turns they go bad, it seems. And they will run about a $1 more per jar. But yes, they will out fish regular power eggs.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.