need a kokanee expert

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: need a kokanee expert

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:23 pm

again, great info. One lake I find interesting because there are efforts to get a sockeye run going again is Cle Elum. In speaking with the fish biologist about this lake, he explained that they have not stocked this lake with kokanee in several years. All the fish that are "kokanee" he said were actually sockeye which for whatever reason did not try to leave the lake and instead have spawned in the tributaries or in the lake itself. Kokanee do spawn along shorelines.
I think we'll continue to see more effort in reintroducing and establishing sockeye runs in appropriate lakes. I believe lake Cushamn is also on the radar screen.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Cascadian
Petty Officer

Post by Cascadian » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:53 pm

There are a few local lakes where you can still catch kokanee, although they are spawning out and dying quickly. Try small pink jigs just above the bottom after marking them on your sonar. I have caught more this way than trolling.

whorde
Petty Officer

Post by whorde » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:05 am

I have no problem going fishing for kokanee in the 10-14 inch range if they'll bite in the winter. I would presume that if kokanee spawn about 16-17 inches, then 2015 spawners would be in that size range right now. If anyone wants to volunteer some good winter fisheries I'd be happy to hear it. The only one I know is Bosworth and it's closed, and of course Lake Stevens but that is too big a lake for my rubber raft. I really need lakes in the 100ish acre or less category.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:49 am

You'd have to check regs, Angle lake is in that size range and has kokanee.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

whorde
Petty Officer

Post by whorde » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:20 am

Ok great, I'll read about that today if work doesn't intrude.