Berkley Gulp Maggots? and Bumping Lake

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
billa98272
Petty Officer

Berkley Gulp Maggots? and Bumping Lake

Post by billa98272 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:48 am

I have some of this left over in a jar at bottom of trout box. Anyone know if it stays good. or does it get old and need to get a new jar? Same with some pautzkee fireball single eggs?....

Im headed over for some camping at Bumping Lake this weekend and thought I would bring my Livingston over and fish Kokanee with my kids... anyone have some tips on fishing this Lake?

I have a couple of Downriggers I need to get mounted. So i may not have them ready by the weekend. If I have to Jig or still fish for Kokanee would like some ideas for rigging up for them... I have a P-=line Kokanator 1/2oz Pink... anyone have experience with them?

Fish on...
Bill

Hunter757
Commander

Re: Berkley Gulp Maggots? and Bumping Lake

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:45 am

Bill, I have not fished that lake but all the reading says the upper end of the lake is where to fish for them. There is a spot on here that will show the depth of the lake that will help you, you can read all the old reports from last year that is what I did jus tto learn about that lake. My father in-law has been bugging me to take him fishing so please let us know how you do. I would say it can only help to have the DR but longline with some weight should work, good luck and enjoy the kids should have a blast!!

Oh and on the maggots I have had my jar for over a year and they smell good and fish still bite them so? As long as the look and smell good I would try them.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

billa98272
Petty Officer

Post by billa98272 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:20 am

Thanks for the info... I'll do a report when I get back. Going to scout the river from lake toward 410 as well.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:46 pm

I'm not familiar with the lake either but do fish with Berkley's Gulp Maggots. I often prefer them to worms because a nibble of either encourages another bite, but unlike worms, the ends of these can't slowly be bitten away. The texture also seems to keep them on the hook longer. Rather than have any go bad, I find they can dry out. A solution that works for me is to add a few drops of scent. What I've added is earthworm scent.

And this may be my imagination, but the pink maggots seem to get more hits than the white ones. Go figure! :)

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:40 pm

"Oh and on the maggots I have had my jar for over a year and they smell good and fish still bite them so? As long as the look and smell good I would try them."

I've never heard the words "Berkley Gulp maggots" and "smell good" used in the same sentence before! [laugh] [laugh]
Last edited by dutchman2858 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

totem420
Angler

Post by totem420 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:45 pm

the lake is a reservoir and must have had a lot of trees in that flooded area. i know at the boat launch there is tons of old stumps in the water. i didnt troll when i was at bumping lake, nor catch any fish, but i could see those being a possible threat for snags, i also did not explore the upper end of the lake, mainly the boat launch area

billa98272
Petty Officer

Post by billa98272 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:17 am

Late report, we made it to the lak and was very windy and rough water. Along with the bottle of Fireball the night before made it an easy decision to keep the boat on the trailer. We have a yearly memorial for my cousin we lost years ago and that was the main reason for going... We did however manage to go down the Bumping river to a few spots and pull out some small rainbows here and there for a nice breakfast fish fry. Used 4lbs clear leader (short) couple of split shot sinks and a single egg hook with a red pautzke egg. beautiful country up there.