gama salmon egg hooks

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
returnofthefish
Captain

gama salmon egg hooks

Post by returnofthefish » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 am

I just had a terrible time with my hook sets last night and had a two trout spit the hook. The hook I was using probably had hooked almost 20 trout already and I use pliers to get the hook out. Was it just a case of bad luck or I just need to tie on a new hook often?

dutchman2858
Commander

Re: gama salmon egg hooks

Post by dutchman2858 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:24 am

I'd guess you figured it out...it doesn't take much for even good hooks to lose effectiveness. Several fish caught, getting the point bumped by pliers, or dragging them over a rock on the bottom and catching the point can each dull a hook. With bigger salmon or halibut hooks I like to run a hook hone over the point, for small trout hooks: just replace them.

Also, after every fishing trip I like to cut off 3-6' of line and re-tie my hook, swivel or whatever. Knots weaken, line gets chafed, etc. and you'd hate to lose the big triploid when it hits because of a weak spot in your tackle!

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 pm

idk how weird this may sound but i have my lucky egg hook. its a red(or used to be red) gami egg hook, size 10 and its caught me over a hundred trout at least by now, its been swallowed and recovered a dozen times, and its still going strong and sharp, its my good luck charm haha

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu May 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Your local fly fishing shop will have hook sharpeners suited for hooks that small or even smaller. I never, never, not ever, use a hook that will not pass the fingernail sticky test.

Sometimes they even come dull from the factory. Most of the better brands have very few, but still some come through dull. No matter how good the hook, they all dull from repeated use.

When I use to fly fish in an area with whitefish, I found that they would dull a hook after just a couple of fish. :-({|=

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Fri May 02, 2014 8:23 am

Upon further inspection, I had pinched the barb removing the hook from swallowers. I ddi the finger nail test and it dug right in. I went 5/6 on a brand new hook 2 nights ago. I just need to be more proactive and retie knows and change out hooks.

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Fri May 02, 2014 7:44 pm

i jinxed myself, lost my lucky hook today D= sad day indeed lol,