Mayfield tournament

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mtsiview
Petty Officer

Mayfield tournament

Post by mtsiview » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Does anyone know who placed in the recent Mayfield lake tournament?
I worry about belonging to a club that accepts people like me as members!

KUP
Commander

RE:Mayfield tournament

Post by KUP » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:45 pm

Hey Mt.si, you three missed a great one!

It was a hot summer day with blue skies and a light wind. Great for the anglers, not so great for the esox. The water temp had dropped back to 55 again (with Winston Creek holding at 59) probably due to a recent filling and it sent most of the ‘skis back to their muskie caves to watch old reruns of Al Lindner.:scratch:
24 members gave it their best shot for 12 hours, Yup, count 'em, 12.
Many fish were seen, but only one was caught and it was a monster 30 inches, just enough to count. The "Money Fish" was successfully caught and released by Mike Floyd, congratulations, Big Mike! :salut: :money:
Buddy & Norm were nearby to help land the big fella.:-s

This was their tribute to a Jack & Jill Tournament where one of the anglers in the boat needed to be female. But if that was not possible, one person in the boat needed to wear pink, or “salmon” as Buddy would say.
The “Jill” award for 2009 has to go to Kinsey who at 12 years old, spent the entire day without complaint in the boat fishing with her fabulous pink rod & reel, given to her by her brother Kenny before the event. WTG, Kinsey and thanks for the best chocolate chip cookies, too! :flower:
Brett was sporting his brand new florescent pink Pete Mania hat, showing everyone how it’s done. Rumor has it that even the Park Ranger thought it was awesome...:safe: http://www.schramband.com/images/petemaina_1.jpg
They had 3 Muskies, Inc. members from 3 different states participate: Doug from Eugene, Dr. Larry from California and Clint from the land of the ice and snow, Minnesota. :hockey:

Breaking News: They do have an unconfirmed report of one angler falling out of the boat, but that angler will remain anonymous. :-#
Everyone had a great time both on Mayfield Lake and at Bad Esox’s Mossyrock Muskie Camp on Friday and Saturday nights. What happened in Camp, stays in Camp!:-" Although it can be reported that everyone was very generous in contributing to the potluck. Chef Jon and his assistant Miles produced a fantastic family recipe of Hungarian Lasagna made in a huge Dutch oven under coals. The camaraderie at these events keeps getting better and better. There were a million stars overhead, made even brighter because of the remote location of Camp and the howling of coyotes put anglers to bed and “chicken dogs” woke them up. There was no shortage of jokes and tall tales being spread thick, mostly about fishing, but not always. Seems some anglers in the club have a heard time telling distance.. ..anywhere from a foot to 5 miles. #-o
And because muskies anglers are so ready for action, of course they started a new competition called “casting the diapered lure”. You had to be there, words do not begin… although it WILL be modified for the Picnic next month, so stay tuned for more.

So maybe the fish weren’t biting as well as expected; muskie anglers know how to have a good time and getting together to share stories around a campfire is always a success. Mayfield Muskie Camp looks like its going to be an annual event.:cheers:
Attachments
Jon15847.jpg
Jon15847.jpg (43.37 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
DSCF5829.JPG
DSCF5829.JPG (88.91 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
DSCF5855.JPG
DSCF5855.JPG (82.36 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
DSCF5799.JPG
DSCF5799.JPG (89.77 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:55 pm

:cheers: Finally a report, been waiting and checking all day!!! Love your fishing rod and reel Kinsey.:bounce: Thanks for the pictures too KUP, sounds like you all had a really fun time. Looking forward to seeing more pictures over on the club website as you get time to post them this week. CONGRATS to you Mike on winning the tourney even if it was a little monster. It was a hard weekend for fishing all over, maybe alot of different kinds of fishies were watching those Al Linder reruns. Brett, what can I say, that is some hat! Heard some others had "pink" shirts. Sorry we missed that lasagna Jon, I've been told it was really good. Come on, tell us who fell overboard. Of course it was pretty warm yesterday so maybe they "fell over" on purpose. Sounds like there will be lots of good memories and stories from this one.
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Mayfield, less the biting Tigers, :nemo: was a great time for everyone! :flower:

KUP you offer an excellent representation of this past wonderul weekend. It's experiences like we had; the campfire chats, great food, :chef: etc. that make the lack of fish more bearable!!!! It was especially nice of fellow chapter members to share their refreshments!!!! :thumright It certainly made my Friday night more exciting!! The "Alabama" :dj: tunes topped off the evening!! :-" (Thanks Mike!)

Thanks again for opening up your property to this group!! I'm looking forward to this annual event...listening to the tall tales, etc.

I'm bummed, however! We took off in such a flash Saturday evening that I didn't take my chance at the new casting competition...and we all know I would have won!! :) Ha!!! ](*,)

The pictures are GREAT! I'm sorry I missed Brett's terrific hat!! :jocolor:

Anyway...nice weekend...looking forward to our next outing. Disappointed that we won't make the picnic...but we'll be thinking about everyone on the beaches of Maui!! :sunny:

Sure hope that silly angler that fell out of the boat has dried off by now. I've finally dried the tears from my eyes from laughing my head off!!!

Have a great week everyone!!

PAD :fish:

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:31 am

I'm glad everyone had a good time! I have yet to go muskie fishing this year. My boat and its owner are cripples. June is a bad time to need outboard repairs because there's a long line at the shop and the mechanics can only fix them one at a time. In addition, I spent all of last week either flatbacking in bed or hobbling around the house using granny's walker after an old back injury came back to haunt me again. If you're not there yet, you'll learn soon enough -- after you get to a certain age nothing heals permanently anymore.

The good news is I'm getting my boat back today, the repair bill isn't too bad, and Tony and I are teaming up to fish Merwin the week of July 13-17. There's no fish in that lake anymore, but that's beside the point. Fishing has very little to do with our Merwin trips. We're holding our wakes ahead of time, so we can participate. These affairs are always non-alcoholic events because we're both teetotalers. We drink only for medical purposes, to dull our aches and pains and facilitate feeling sorry for each other. Since we're both in bad shape, I'm bringing an extra-large jug of medicine this time.

For the record, our total catch at Merwin all of last year was two fish. My 30 1/2-incher beat Tony's 29 3/4-incher, so I won the traveling trophy, which is an empty Canadian Mist bottle.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:21 am

Hope you can join us at the Merwin Chapter Tourney August 29-30th. There might be some of us members that could use some of your medicine!! (That is if you're sharing!!!) :)

Good luck next week!

PAD :fish:

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:02 am

Don't know if I'll be free at the end of August. We're having work done to the house this summer, and I'll talk to the contractor about scheduling when he returns to finish the exterior repairs at the end of this month. I do know he plans to spend August salmon fishing, and the exterior painting has to be done before the fall monsoon rains arrive.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.