Fall Musky Fishing

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Evergreen Esox
Angler

Fall Musky Fishing

Post by Evergreen Esox » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:43 pm

I haven't noticed many tiger anglers out this fall. Seems like the lakes are being ignored this fall and the only time I'm not fishing solo is when Muskieguy is in the boat with me. I don't mind, but folks are missing some good fishing. The boaters are gone and the jet ski's don't buzz around like noisy pests all day.
Newman and Silver are both good fall trolling lakes. If you have ever considered trying trolling for the tigers but haven't, now is the time. Casting is still great too. MG prefers casting when we hit the lake together and he always lands a fish or three.
I used to hold the rod while trolling and sometimes I still do when I'm out. So you don't need rod holders and/or down riggers if you don't have them. Just hang on! The fish hit like freight trains.
I troll perch and sucker pattern cranks, with gold/black as my go to bait on Newman on clear days. Muskieguy and I both have two pole permits, and with four rods in holders we do quite well most day out no matter what the weather.
So, get out there. It's not over yet.
Musky Hunter: Have you ever trolled Tapps in the fall? Is the tree/stump population to high for trolling?
Not much happening on this forum anymore...

dougw
Commander

Re: Fall Musky Fishing

Post by dougw » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:07 pm

Been fishing hard! Just not on Silver or Newman. Been on Curlew three of the last 4 weekends. Will hit Silver tomorrow! Then possibly Curlew the next. Fishing can be extremely good in the fall. But numbers generally are down while fish size goes up.

muskyhunter
Captain

Re: Fall Musky Fishing

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:38 pm

Esox,
Nope, not trolling much this year at all. Tapps is pretty good. But with the water being low for so long then the heat made the water temps raise pretty quickly it wasnt on my radar here. Buuuut, with the lake only being drawn down 2 feet I may get my posterior out there in December through March. Been getting most of the fish lately on Baby depth raiders and the regular depth raiders..fishing points,edges of flats and some coves I havent fished as much as I could have been..hard fishing on Tapps for big fish anyway,challenging is a good word. Makes you try spots you wouldn't normally fish. And not catching the same fish on the same spots. Got my b.p. a month ago on Tapps on a depth raider..47" Lots of mid 30 fish.."practice fish" i call them..went through a good month at the mid Sept moon phase..got crappies, gills and some smallies on Tapps..Remember in fall go big, go dawgs or go home empty handed..Muskie Guy is supposed to travel west with his rig..Mayfield and Merwin on the horizon?
V__AD6F.jpg