DIY Slinky Weights - What's up with buck shot?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jrodell27
Petty Officer

DIY Slinky Weights - What's up with buck shot?

Post by jrodell27 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:00 pm

Hey Guys,

I want to try and make slinkies using paracord and buckshot. I've done some initial research and I want to grab .240-.270 caliber buckshot and some paracord that will match.

My issue is no one seems to carry straight buckshot jars for this purpose. I've been to Sportco and a couple of other places (like Big5) and I can't seem to find any buckshot. Does anyone have a source or know where I can buy this locally? If I must I would purchase online (a place in Oregon dubbed, Fishermansshack.net has some but only can pay via paypal) but I'd rather just swing by and grab it locally.

For what it's worth - I have been using pencil lead since I started drifting a year or so ago and I simply want to test out slinky's. I just don't want to shell out $20 for just a few premade slinkies at Sportco in different weight sizes rather spend $20 and have as much as I can make in the foreseeable future.

Any tips would be appreciated and thanks for any advice.
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: DIY Slinky Weights - What's up with buck shot?

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:25 pm

I bought some bags of buckshot a while back from a shooting range in Gig Harbor. Check with local gun ranges and gun stores.

Smokeploe
Angler

Post by Smokeploe » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:54 pm

Jrodel27
Pm sent
Smokeploe

fish vacuum
Petty Officer

Post by fish vacuum » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:10 pm

Partially crimp pencil lead about every 3/8-1/2 of an inch. Then slide it into your paracord. Once it's in the paracord you just bend it a little to break the crimps.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:10 pm

Outdoor emporium in seattle

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:16 am

Midwayusa.com stocks different size buckshot loads, at fair prices

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:32 pm

fish vacuum wrote:Partially crimp pencil lead about every 3/8-1/2 of an inch. Then slide it into your paracord. Once it's in the paracord you just bend it a little to break the crimps.
That is a great idea and have never thought about. Pretty original if you ask me

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:37 pm

riverhunter wrote:
fish vacuum wrote:Partially crimp pencil lead about every 3/8-1/2 of an inch. Then slide it into your paracord. Once it's in the paracord you just bend it a little to break the crimps.
That is a great idea and have never thought about. Pretty original if you ask me
About as original as it gets - though it may be possible to both crimp AND cut the pencil lead within the parachute chord if it is genuine stuff.

Just guessin' [cool]

onmygame

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Once you go to slinkies, you'll never go back to straight pencil lead. Sometimes I miss the tap, tap, tap but I don't miss breaking off lead 10 times a day.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:52 pm

Once you remove adding weight to your line all-together youll never go back. Weighted lures FTW lol.....
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:12 pm

@Onmygame - I really like that idea and will try this shortly - I'll post my work if I find it works good! :) Thanks again for the awesome tip.

@Riverhunter - I actually saw some forum posts about that as well and since I work in Seattle I went over there last week and they no longer carry reloading items such as buck shot and the like. They even checked at their Fife location and there they only carry the small shot in BB sizes.

Thank you all for the tips and advice. I will take this into account and if I find any good reliable places I will be sure to re-post here for future reference & others who may have the same issues.
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:59 pm

Not to change up too much, I've been using the curved weights with the wire poking out the bottom that the bass guys use, well at least they come from the warm water section at the sports store. They seem to hang up a lot less than pencil lead and the slinkies for me. Something about the curve and that little wire sticking out the bottom..... not sure what it does. I just wish they had more sizes so I could be a little more granular with the weight. The slinkies are easy to make with the pencil lead just pinch the lead almost through and then once in the sleeve break them apart. no need to pinch anything through the sleeve. You can buy the sleeve stuff at most sports stores, I've got it from OE and Cabelas and I'm sure they had it at Sportco. I'd bet a sportsman's warehouse too. they even have it in packs at Freddy's and little packs of non-split shot. At OE they had a giant roll of the stuff and sold it by the foot or yard.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:46 am

They had the buck shot at bass pro and cabelas

ChromeSlayer
Petty Officer

Post by ChromeSlayer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:51 pm

Midwayusa.com would be my first choice.
ChromeSlayer it's not just a name it's a lifestyle.