Need advise on boating near the Tri-Cities

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
GoDeep
Petty Officer

Need advise on boating near the Tri-Cities

Post by GoDeep » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:42 am

Hi guys/gals,

I have recently bought a 16' Hewescraft Sportsman for use here in Puget Sound, however I will be heading to the Tri-Cities and want to take it out on the Columbia somewhere near there. I've never boated the Columbia and quite frankly, it scares me a little. I've researched as much as I can on the internet but would like to get your opinions about it. I was thinking about launching at Columbia park and just trolling for Salmon near there. I heard Salmon hold near the mouth of the Yakima so I might try that area too. Is there anything big I need to worry about on that area of the Columbia? Do I need a floating anchor set-up if I decide to anchor up? I read that a lot of folks anchor up and let out Kwikfish and similar stuff. I would obviously not be anchoring up in heavy current. I really don't want to do something stupid out there......my only experience is on Puget Sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Need advise on boating near the Tri-Cities

Post by Amx » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:24 am

#1 - where do you live?

#2 - get a chart of the river areas that you want to go to, there is a map store in Bellevue where I got mine, or call Limit Out Performance Marine and ask if they have a map of the river printed by the Fish-n-Map Company.

#3 - and the most important other than getting a chart. 'RED RIGHT RETURN' means when going upstream - as in the fish are RETURNING to spawn - the red buoys are to be on the right side of the boat.

#4 - when getting close to any shore be sure to read the chart first, then go slow because lots of the shoreline is rocky. KNOW the depths before going to shore, but the Columbia launch is a good one.
Tom.

Interests: living

GoDeep
Petty Officer

Post by GoDeep » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks for the info AMX!. I was wondering where I could get a good river map....this is a great start.

I live in Kitsap County but I'm from the Yakima area so I'm over on the east side quite a bit. Thanks again.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:11 pm

Ok, so you are too far away to look over the charts that I have, oh well. :-)
Tom.

Interests: living

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:44 pm

If you are considering anchoring on the river, you should read up on it and get a proper setup. Anchoring in the river can be very dangerous if you dont know what you are doing. Id do a Google on 'Columbia river anchoring' but you can start here for a good basic understanding.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Anchoring.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:03 pm

I went to the tri cities for the first time last year. We were just playing, not fishing. Generally found it a big calm lake (its an impound of McNary dam). I never went upstream far enough to get free flowing water. However when the wind came up it was another matter. I have a 21 foot sea ray and while I never felt in danger, it was a wild ride trying to get from the Snake back up to town. Watch the weather!

GoDeep
Petty Officer

Post by GoDeep » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:46 am

Thanks for the advice Koda.........I heard it can get nasty with the wind.

gregsalmon
Petty Officer

Post by gregsalmon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:41 pm

Yep, its mostly a giant lake, except when the wind blows. Not a big deal, BUT there are a few sneaker rocks around and not all are right near the shore. There are charts available, by the time you see it on the depth finder its to late! Another thing I have done in unfamiliar water is just use the kicker, or if all else fails follow somebody and if they run aground you should stop! Best way to learn a body of water is to fish it, you go slow enough that if you hit something its not a huge deal.

Keep in mind that if you tie your boat to the beach or a piling that the water can go up or down a few vertical feet, pretty embarrassing!