Wenatchee River

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mainer
Angler

Wenatchee River

Post by mainer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:55 am

Next weekend I will be in Wenatchee for a baseball tournament my son is playing in. The scheduling of the games has made some time for me to do a little fishing. We are staying at the Wenatchee River county park! And info on fishing this area. Would it be the same as fishing the barrier dam area? Plunking on the Columbia? Any info would be appreciated. By the looks of our site I should be able to cast from my fire pit. Thanks in advance.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Re: Wenatchee River

Post by drysuperfly52 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:13 am

be sure to check out your regs, there is a lot of amazing looking water in that area that is closed, Nason, chiwawa river, and i believe parts of the wenatchee, this from memory so check your regs. upper icicle river has some decent fly fishing if that's your thing.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:23 am

Last edited by gfakkema on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:44 am

I will be over there this weekend and will post a report Monday. There are a number of good spots along the Wenatchee to get down to the river, sounds like it is more difficult access on the Icicle, but we shall see. I will be floating eggs, and may drop a line plunking as well depending on the water conditions.

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:32 am

Looks like the Wenatchee may have a couple fish left by next weekend (if you can find a deep hole), but I imagine it will be pretty slow based upon my experience at Icicle creek and talking with the WDFW fish checker. Runs are early and fast. He did say that they may try to get Lake Wenatchee open for Sockeye earlier this year, he thought the may apply to get it opened on June 16th, but that would take a few political hurdles.
He also said there have already been reports of wild summer chinook on the Wenatchee.

mainer
Angler

Post by mainer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Thanks for the report. I will still give it a try since I will be feet away and probably will go crazy if i cant fish....

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:06 pm

The tips from the fishchecker were to look up the river on google maps so you can get a general location of deep pockets and try those. Since you are right there you have to try, you should be able to hike up and down the river since it is so low. My sister lives right in that area and she said watch for rattlesnakes as they are out in force. Also earlier is better to avoid the rafters/swimmer and heat.