Plunking rod and reel recommendations

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jeremy_Lerv
Petty Officer

Plunking rod and reel recommendations

Post by Jeremy_Lerv » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:52 pm

I am looking for a rod and reel recommendation for plunking for pinks on the Skagit/Stilly/Snoho rivers.
I've plunked before but with a cheap 7ft rod with very little action and a spinning reel but I am looking to get more serious about it this year.
I've got an okuma convector cv20L reel... will that work? If so what rod should I pair it with? I am willing to spend a medium amount on a good rod but don't feel the need to go for a 500 dollar lamiglas rod.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Re: Plunking rod and reel recommendations

Post by Steelheadin360 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:19 am

Check out the SST-C-1002H. Its a 10' heavy duty rod designed for plunking and throwing heavy lead. And they are in the $80-100 range.

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 am

Your Convector should do just fine. Daiwa Wilderness Medium Heavy 9'

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:14 pm

Cabelas fish eagle rods will be half off next week. Go get yourself a big, heavy meat stick. Remember you're throwing a big weight around. Get something rated for the job. If you rod aint rated right, you're gonna have a bad time.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:37 pm

Pinks aren't real exciting to catch. Therefore I use my Ugly trout and light Shimano spinning reel . Light gear for pinks is fun. If its arm to am fishing I use a lil heavier rod and reel.