Still learning...tell me how to fish all this rain?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
rmerikle
Petty Officer

Still learning...tell me how to fish all this rain?

Post by rmerikle » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:42 am

Finally got off my butt this year and I am going after the fall Coho. Have been out about a half dozen times and have only seen two fish caught and had one one myself for a short brief period. Mostly fishing the Snohomish, but both caught fish were out on Whidbey Island.

Bottom line I keep reading that we need rain to get the fish in the rivers and it looks like we finally have the rain. Saturday is suppose to continue to rain and Sunday looks like it will clear up some. I can go out either Saturday or Sunday. Don't mind the rain. Which day should I go out and where should I go? What should I expect? I just really want to catch one darn fish (Coho not sunfish) this season and I am starting to get worried. I am open to any river or other fishing spot within about two hours or so of Seattle.

Thanks in advance.

mizm05
Commander

Re: Still learning...tell me how to fish all this rain?

Post by mizm05 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:50 pm

The way the Puget Sound rivers have been...either drive to a Columbia tributary, or out west to a coastal river.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:19 pm

If the river is high, fish high. If its low, fish low. Maybe head to the sky and throw some spinners as springer jerry suggests. Sunday will probably be better, the river is high and muddy and may need a couple days to settle down.

fish vacuum
Petty Officer

Post by fish vacuum » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Keep a journal. After every trip, write down the conditions, river flow, visibility, etc.
After a while, you'll be able to reference your journal at times like this and know what areas fish well at high flows.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:06 am

fish vacuum wrote:Keep a journal. After every trip, write down the conditions, river flow, visibility, etc.
After a while, you'll be able to reference your journal at times like this and know what areas fish well at high flows.
I make a "report" when I catch fish in the river, location, part of the hole that produced, lure and/or bait used and of course the river gage height.

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:08 pm

strider43 wrote:
fish vacuum wrote:Keep a journal. After every trip, write down the conditions, river flow, visibility, etc.
I make a "report" when I catch fish in the river, location, part of the hole that produced, lure and/or bait used and of course the river gage height.
Question - how do you figure out the river height in the area you are at? Is that something you guesstimate? Do you take a tape measure and walk out a bit and just eyeball it that way? Do you go online and use the sensor reports of levels? I've been trying to take notes every time I hit up a spot but a few values I'm scratching my head on how to figure out at the locations I'm going to and record in my notes.
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:16 pm

jrodell27 wrote:
strider43 wrote:
Question - how do you figure out the river height in the area you are at? Is that something you guesstimate? Do you take a tape measure and walk out a bit and just eyeball it that way? Do you go online and use the sensor reports of levels? I've been trying to take notes every time I hit up a spot but a few values I'm scratching my head on how to figure out at the locations I'm going to and record in my notes.
Familiarize yourself with the river flows (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/current?type=flow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) of your target river and go out and check it out during the various stages. Once you have an idea of what flow relates to water level then you can check the water levels from your phone or computer.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:28 am

In high and fast water conditions, fish are practically at your feet. They hug the bank and take the path of least resistance. Look how close I was casting here. Probably not even 10 yards out.

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:50 pm

BentRod wrote:Familiarize yourself with the river flows (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/current?type=flow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) of your target river and go out and check it out during the various stages. Once you have an idea of what flow relates to water level then you can check the water levels from your phone or computer.
Gotcha - thanks for the tips! Was basically figuring that was the only real way to do it.
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz