how low is too low?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
spoonman
Captain

how low is too low?

Post by spoonman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:37 pm

So I finally got a jet sled. Just in time for Chinook season to close on the skykomish. So iwas thinking about heading up above the wallace to look for metal heads. But im not sure how deep it is at that riffle at the wallace. The river is running around 3000 and dropping.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: how low is too low?

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:33 am

All depends on your sled and size of your........... Not an easy one to answer.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:35 am

depends on the sled I guess..... My Mod V Jon boat/sled will run 4" with 2 people on plane but drafts about 9-10" back trolling..... The river is low, and if you know what your doing, you can do it, but if you draft more than say 9-10" you may run into some trouble up above the Wallace

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:45 am

With my CW I'll go up to the Wallace. I can go way up past it but all the enjoyment is gone as I have a pucker for about a week. Backups like that are to avoided at all costs. We do this for fun right?
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:45 am

I think I draft about 6 on a plane. Keyword think. Thanks for the advice guys. I just really want to play with my new toy. Ive been bombing up and down the upper Snohomish, but I wanna catch fish too dang it! But the practical thing to do would be to get someore experience iguess.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Pretty easy from Monroe to Sultan, just keep your eyes peeled. If you know the water, just keep your eyes peeled.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:11 pm

Yeah ive drifted that stretch for years in the old Wooldridge, might just give it a shot on Saturday

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:22 pm

You know which side of the islands to go on. The throttle is your friend! Have fun!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:51 pm

:-"low