How do I fish for Silvers with all these Pinks in the River?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jcn980
Petty Officer

How do I fish for Silvers with all these Pinks in the River?

Post by jcn980 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Hey Y'all,

If I want to target silvers to I throw a bait that the pinks would never take? I have heard that is doesn't matter, but I wanted to get the expert opinion. How do I target silvers in the midst of a ton of pinks?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: How do I fish for Silvers with all these Pinks in the Ri

Post by Amx » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Tie a little sign on your lure : 'NO PINKS!!!'

[laugh]
Tom.

Interests: living

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:10 pm

I catch both species on the same gear. Doesn't seem to matter. Some people say different colors work for different species, but I catch both on the exact same colors or setups.

FlyGirl
Petty Officer

Post by FlyGirl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Amx wrote:Tie a little sign on your lure : 'NO PINKS!!!'

[laugh]
Isn't that discrimination??!! The pinks might file suit against him. No fish shall be discriminated against based on race, color, sex or religion....I think that's in the Constitution somewhere...... :fish: :nemo:

I wish I knew....Not much of a salmon fisher......

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:42 pm

In my experience pink jigs are not going to pick you up many coho, but Dick Nites will catch both... Just practice C&R and weed through the pinks until you strike Silver.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:15 pm

eggs, plugs, herring, green spinners. stuff that pinks wont normally look at, but dont get me wrong the will hit it. Ive seen a pink with a k-16 hanging out of its mouth

bigfishguy
Petty Officer

Post by bigfishguy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:In my experience pink jigs are not going to pick you up many coho, but Dick Nites will catch both... Just practice C&R and weed through the pinks until you strike Silver.
I RARELY catch coho on pink jigs, but spoons catch coho (and pinks take spoons less than pink jigs generally, at least in my opinion.) You can't avoid the pinks, but try non-pink-salmon colors, such as, what, orange? Blue? Vibrax spinners in blue might be your best shot to increase your coho to pink ratio.

Yes, EGGS, the old salmon/steelhead standby, rarely if ever used by experienced fishermen to TARGET PINKS, but of course are great for coho/kings. So eggs might be a great offering, in the right water/clarity, etc.

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Spinners.....or wait a week or 2.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:49 pm

casting plugs works.. dick nites in green and chartreuse colors will get both as well..

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:08 pm

oneshot wrote:casting plugs works.. dick nites in green and chartreuse colors will get both as well..
Yea, but you saw how the pinks hit on those plugs too :-"

Most guys try for coho with frog dick nites, 50/50, vibrax or corkies in orange and greenish colors. Anything but pink! Although really, you're just going to have to wait until there are more silvers. You'll catch 20 pinks for each coho until they rot all over the place and stink up the river.

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Blue fox vibrax, eggs, plugs
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

doubleo6point9
Petty Officer

Post by doubleo6point9 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:41 pm

Question, if you were to drift some eggs for coho's in the Puyallup would it have to be a pretty wet egg to milk a lot so that they could sniff it out since visibility is basically down to nothing? I also thought about possibly just drifting a spin n glo with some eggs or just a spin n glo with yarn and a lot of scent though I'm not sure how well that would work if you weren't plunking out there.

bkawafishin
Petty Officer

Post by bkawafishin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:29 pm

As long as there are pinks in the river, they will hit just about anything you throw out there when they're active. Dick Nites in 50/50 or Nickelback Frog will net you silvers, but you'll have to wade through some pinks to get to them. I caught a few silvers last week drifting Dick Nites.

Like Nate said, you're going to have to wait until the pinks are zombified if you want to catch silvers exclusively.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:20 pm

Pink is the only jig color that I have caught silvers on. Purple might be a good coho color to try but maybe try varying your presentation like different speeds/depths or water type. Oh yeah and can't go wrong with eggs

Bootslayer
Petty Officer

Post by Bootslayer » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:54 am

DRIFT EGGS!!!
Team bootslayer guide service now booking fall trips for ditch pickles

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:51 pm

natetreat wrote:
oneshot wrote:casting plugs works.. dick nites in green and chartreuse colors will get both as well..
Yea, but you saw how the pinks hit on those plugs too :-"

Most guys try for coho with frog dick nites, 50/50, vibrax or corkies in orange and greenish colors. Anything but pink! Although really, you're just going to have to wait until there are more silvers. You'll catch 20 pinks for each coho until they rot all over the place and stink up the river.

Yup. I've been slinging my Coho jigs since the opener on the Duamish as well as Dick Nites. Haven't got a Coho yet, but have got plenty of Pinks. I believe things will change as the Pinks wind down and the bulk of the Coho come in behind them. I've hooked a couple fish that have fought completely different from the Pinks which never came to the surface. One came unbuttoned and one snapped my leader, so would like to think they were either Coho or a King, but that's speculation. Pinks are a nuisance, but at least they're a fun nuisance! :cheers:

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:54 pm

the Duwi is LOADED with COHO right now.. trolled herring, plugs, dick nites..

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39 am

oneshot wrote:the Duwi is LOADED with COHO right now.. trolled herring, plugs, dick nites..
And with the projected rain over the weekend, and with any luck the dam will be opened a bit, I will be slaying some ho's Sunday and Monday up river a bit. Water is super skinny right now. Needs a good foot then... :cheers:

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:18 pm

chrome_chasin wrote:
oneshot wrote:the Duwi is LOADED with COHO right now.. trolled herring, plugs, dick nites..
And with the projected rain over the weekend, and with any luck the dam will be opened a bit, I will be slaying some ho's Sunday and Monday up river a bit. Water is super skinny right now. Needs a good foot then... :cheers:
...and it's also loaded with PINKS! I'm still fishing the Dick Nites in Coho colors and can't seem to land anything but Pinks. Got two that were CHROME bright today. Thought I'd found my first Coho, but negative Ghost Rider.... ](*,)