DUWAMISH NETS MOVED !!!!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

DUWAMISH NETS MOVED !!!!

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Went out this morning before work to the duwamish 112th ST. I get there and noticed there were nets put up right where everyone usually fish's I decided to go to my usual spot nothing going on . Then I see the natives coming to check nets they came by emptyed the nets I only noticed like 5 fish taken out of nets. Not what I was expecting, is the silver run ending ?

gpc
Admiral

RE:DUWAMISH NETS MOVED !!!!

Post by gpc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:16 pm

The rivers have been droping like flies because of the small silver run this year. Lets hope the Green dodges the bullet, but I am afraid the Green/Duwamish will be next.

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:33 pm

The way the nets are set up there's no way any fish are getting by at low tide !!!!!

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:55 pm

HOOKEDONFISHING wrote:The way the nets are set up there's no way any fish are getting by at low tide !!!!!
Ya I forget what the regs are for netting. I thought they weren't supposed to be any more than 66% (or 75%?) of the river width and a certain distance apart but seems almost every time I've seen a net on a lower tide they almost rope the whole thing off. Just my anecdotal self observations.#-o
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:58 pm

BAN ALL NETTING
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm

at low tide its a very narrow shallow path to get through . I was surprised though when they went through nets there was nothing in them .

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:11 pm

HOOKEDONFISHING wrote:at low tide its a very narrow shallow path to get through . I was surprised though when they went through nets there was nothing in them .
Ya netting is probably better with lower vis and more rain (or maybe at night). Push the fish up when it rains so easier to get them in the nets when they're moving. When the water is low and clear, sometimes they will get to the net and spook back down river. If we get lucky maybe we'll get a big slug of rain right before nets come out so the river rises fast just after the nets are out and have a big push of fish come thru. can always hope :) Hasn't been much else to go on out there this year.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:11 pm

The silvers are still coming........just late, lets hope not to late so they close more rivers

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:48 pm

From what I understand they cannot net the whole river, they have to leave a certain amount of waterway open for boat traffic. But how they get around that is to basically make a mouse-maze. Net from one bank 3/4 across the river, then go upstream about 30 feet and net from the other bank about 3/4 the way. Saw them do that upstream around the corner by the Pac Hwy Bridge a few years ago - I think they had three nets that time so the only way the boats (and fish) was to do an "S" up the river.

I'm with GPC, betting the Green/Duwamish will the the next emergency closure..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:01 pm

I sure hope the river doesn't close...[-o< Might end my coho season before I hardly start[thumbdn]

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:From what I understand they cannot net the whole river, they have to leave a certain amount of waterway open for boat traffic. But how they get around that is to basically make a mouse-maze. Net from one bank 3/4 across the river, then go upstream about 30 feet and net from the other bank about 3/4 the way. Saw them do that upstream around the corner by the Pac Hwy Bridge a few years ago - I think they had three nets that time so the only way the boats (and fish) was to do an "S" up the river.

I'm with GPC, betting the Green/Duwamish will the the next emergency closure..
Thats what there doing now on 112th the island comes up at low tide they left a tiny path a couple feet deep then there using part of the big rock to block s curve pattern. Right in primetime fishong realestate. What is the rule to fishing near nets I think it makes the whole rock off limits? is it 200 ft ?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Don't know what the rules are for distance from a net to fish. Will be nice to get that last stretch of river open. I might get a Sunday here or there to get out as long as it stays open.
Gringo Pescador sure got a nice chromer out of the Duwi :cheers: