pinks next year

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bassin253
Petty Officer

pinks next year

Post by Bassin253 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:07 pm

I know most are sick of talking about pinks after last year but with most rivers seeing 1 million plus fish what do people think next year is gonna be like?

Matt
Admiral

RE:pinks next year

Post by Matt » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:27 pm

Too soon to tell, but there are always a ton of those buggers. #-o

Ewww....
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:34 pm

there will be enuff to make a fella hate them all over again:eye:
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:53 pm

After an odd year, a fishermen just cant wait till the next season to get away from all them pinks. But then on an even year a fishermen almost counts down the days till the next pink run. What can I say, the grass is always greener.....

Especially after a year like this. I have spent thousands of dollars on fishing "supplies". Been chasing the salmon since July, with a couple of "2 week, fish everyday" stretches. All I have to show for is 1 king and 1 silver. I know the season has been slow, but this isn't my first rodeo. I should have more to show for.....

So as of right now, bring on the pinks. Really out in the salt and about the first couple of weeks after they hit the river, they really aren't bad. Its when pinky zombiemania goes into effect that I start hating them. And I would be lying if I said I haven't already got some pink BB and a few packs of hoochies

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:35 pm

Ive hit my 100lbs of king from the rivers this year. Im trying for silvers now but just am not having any luck with em. A few pinks her and there would be fun. Its ok though. Chum will be here soon and beating us up good and heavy I hope. They are almost as thick for a few weeks and alot more fun to catch then a pink.
More fish please!

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:39 pm

I just hate when they stink up the river side other wise i like them, gives a solid chance at fish
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

lukesfishin
Angler

Post by lukesfishin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:42 pm

im not fishing next year till late october, maybe the pinks and odd year fishemen will be um gone by then

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:31 pm

I've heard whispers of an even bigger return of the pinks than last years... Don't know for sure though... They do stink up the shoreline, but they keep things interesting... Just gotta stay away from the crowds...
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:58 am

Are these whispers the one whispering about how the Silver run in the Puyallup was supposed to be this year?[-o< [-o< Come on guys, fishing ain't always easy, I know we were spoiled last year, but if you put your time in, and put your time in, you will do some catchin. I have put on a lot of miles on my rig to go out and find fish, somedays are good and somedays are even better. With each trip, I am always learning something.
For example my trip last night to a Notellum. I was using my fav spinner. Well guess what, a couple guys about a mile or so above me were using trout sized spinners and were walking away with 5 Ho's [cursing] [cursing] .

A seasoned vet was saying this phrase to me the last time we fished, "Don't be stuck on stupid" nuff said. :thumright [omg] [omg]
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Every freshwater trip I've gone on has seen between 0 and 3 fish jump or break water. This season I hooked up 3 times. All three times were foul-hooked fish. Nothing I could keep. One was even hooked through someone else's leader that the Chinook had broken off further down river. I don't have time to chase fish all over the place. I even went over to the skoke to enjoy some of that run, and was completely dismayed by a river full of nets (didn't know about log jam hole at the time).

While this is only my second Salmon season, last year I managed plenty of Silvers amidst the many many pinks. I'm just thoroughly discouraged now.

I guess the worst part is that all 3 of my actual hook-ups were chinook, that I had to let go. Well I didn't let one of them go, he let himself go. Guess it was nice to at least see his large tail.

My absolute worst day was out at Chambers bay, watching these guys troll and limit out right in front of me. My buddy and I had decided not to bring trolling gear that day and I was pretty pissed.

Still, I'm not sure fighting the pink crowds will make me any happier. I don't really like to catch pinks. They don't fight well and they bring out every idiot on the planet.
Lee

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Pinks don't fight well??!! What? The zombied boots don't have much spunk in them, but the fresh ones fight pretty damn good IMO. I definitely won't use more than 8lb main for them, what are you using?
"One more......."

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Not compared to a Silver they don't. They give a couple or hard tugs at the start, then give up.
Lee

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:38 pm

bionic_one wrote:Not compared to a Silver they don't. They give a couple or hard tugs at the start, then give up.
What was your set up? Curious.. I was impressed with how well they fought. Not to hi-jack this thread...
"One more......."

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:54 pm

Sorry, forgot that part. I think last year I was using 30/15. I hate losing gear to snags and they come in with the kings so you gotta be ready!

Edit: On opening day when I caught my first coho (and my first 4 pinks) the guy next to me got a 15ish pound chinook.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Come on you can land a big king on 8lb test, you just got to know how to fight them wiith light line.
I personally think pinks fight pretty good, sure not as good as other salmon but oh well its better than nothing

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Of course you can. I prefer not to fight a fish that way. Look, you guys fish how you want, this isn't a personal attack or anything, but I don't think fish should be "played". I think they should be horsed in with heavy test, because if it's a native, it's better for their survival that way, not fighting them until they are all tired out. Again, you fish how you want, but for me personally, I don't think "playing" the fish is a good thing.
Lee

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:14 pm

bionic_one wrote:Of course you can. I prefer not to fight a fish that way. Look, you guys fish how you want, this isn't a personal attack or anything, but I don't think fish should be "played". I think they should be horsed in with heavy test, because if it's a native, it's better for their survival that way, not fighting them until they are all tired out. Again, you fish how you want, but for me personally, I don't think "playing" the fish is a good thing.
I hear you about getting a Nate in quickly. We all fish for different reasons, I respect that. I do think in a crowded river, a guy who is using ultra light line taking forever to get a average sized fish in, can grate some nerves.
"One more......."

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:26 pm

I can respect that. Im not trying to make you fish with whatever. I personally go fishing to get away from school and people and all that and for the fight of the fish so i like lighter lines for that fight to be enhanced

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:32 pm

bionic_one wrote:I don't think fish should be "played". I think they should be horsed in with heavy test

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Matt wrote:
bionic_one wrote:I don't think fish should be "played". I think they should be horsed in with heavy test

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

This is what happens to the brain from years of combat fishing and breaking off countless dollars of gear on fishing gear/line snags in the river:rambo: ... I know my brain would freeze up like that after a few weeks combat fishing weekends at Blue Creek for the winter Steel years ago.

Throw in a lack of fishing success and it leaves an angler even more susceptible to this... I aint gonna judge someone for going heavy on heavy water areas. It is just the way it is.

At the same time, my favorite scenario would be to have wide open rivers without a soul in sight holding a 9 foot noodle rod in hand free drifting eggs on light mono line in gentle currents full of fish. Seems like I had a few trips to the Elochoman a couple decades back like that... Not any more though.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure