Snohomish river and the tides?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Snohomish river and the tides?

Post by Splitshot » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:26 pm

I'm not sure how to ask this. How do you know when high tide will reach a certain point on the Snohomish? Does it travel up river at a constant rate so you can figure out when it will reach where you're fishing?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Snohomish river and the tides?

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:22 pm

Splitshot wrote:
I'm not sure how to ask this. How do you know when high tide will reach a certain point on the Snohomish? Does it travel up river at a constant rate so you can figure out when it will reach where you're fishing?
That's a really good question. Curado might know the answer on this one.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Personally I just watch the tide times for Everett. There is a station right near the marina and the times seem to be right about the same give or take a little bit. I use my GPS to determine when I can/can't launch my boat/pull my boat out due to tidal fluctuations and I always base my decisions off of the Everett tide times and have never had a problem.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:10 am

I just thougt there might be a time lag between Everett and Snohomish. It also seems like the lower portions would fill more slowly holding a larger amount of water. Sure is wierd watching it turn around an flow backwarks. Is that just the top water doing that?

Maybe if a guy timed it right, he could put in and drift down stream and then ride the tide back to the lauch.
Someone w/o a motor of course.

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:13 pm

Talked to Greg today at Greg's Custom Rods in Lake Stevens and he said there is just about an hour between high tide at Everett and high tide at the city of Snohomish.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:19 pm

the river flows at a good click but you would not be able to get very far that way. lets say about 100yrds an hour tops. when were you at gregs i was there earlier to
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Didn't see you. Maybe didn't recognize you:scratch:
Next time.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:55 pm

im fishin the wall tomorrow.( wallace)
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:41 pm

Greg reminded me the Everett derby continues tomorrow. I don't like crowds too much so I'm thinking of going to somewhere on the Snohomish before work, maybe Monday through Friday. If I can get out of bed...

blurock
Warrant Officer

Post by blurock » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:13 pm

I know the Everett Derby is open on the Snoho too... so there probably wont be AS many guys on the river, but will certainly be more than normal cause of the derby. You might be better off trying to hit the Duwamish or heading up higher in the system (like the upper snoho, wallace or sky) if you wanna go out on Sunday and away from the crowds. Of course the lower river can get a bit busy on weekends anyway.
Good luck and keep us updated!

Oh and as far as tides go, I would say a little less then an hour, though I haven't watched it THAT Closely. All I really care about is if I can launch my boat and then I can fish different parts of the river depending on what point the tides at.
I use this site:
http://www.weatherforyou.com/wxinfo/hw3 ... Z505&icao=
for a quick tide reference. You can look for other months too. And you can select what area you're fishing on the map at the top of the page. Quiet frankly, like Matt said, it just uses the Everett station. If your fishing the sloughs like steamboat and ebey and want to be more exact you can use Marrysville.
I've bookmarked the link on my blackberry, so I can check tides quickly out on the boat, without having to flip through my tide book, since it always seems to take me forever to find the right station, and the correct date in them... I always flip past the one page I need! XD
Fish Like A Girl

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:12 am

Splitshot wrote:

Maybe if a guy timed it right, he could put in and drift down stream and then ride the tide back to the lauch.
Someone w/o a motor of course.
You can indeed "ride the tide" both ways. I have never gone downstream then up, but up then down. Take a 30lb minnkota, a jon boat, a buddy, and a lunch. Launch right after low tide (yeah, about an hour), drift the river upstream for about two/three hours fishing. Anchor. Eat lunch. Drift the river downstream for two/three hours. Pull out. Great day on the water, barely even use the electric. Of course a lot better if you catch fish :cheers:
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Splitshot
Warrant Officer

Post by Splitshot » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:20 am

bulrock- thanks for the info and the tide link. As far as going upstream, we'll see how Curado does on the Wallace.

Rolling with Rolland- That sounds like fun! My wife is up for it, next summer of course.
And I like your idea to head upstream first- pretty much guarnteed to get back to where you lanched.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:54 am

Splitshot wrote: And I like your idea to head upstream first- pretty much guarnteed to get back to where you lanched.
That is indeed the concern. I know a lot of people who fish the way Rolland has described and when/if the fish are in you can do quite well.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."