Winter Steelhead 2013/2014

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mizm05
Commander

Re: Winter Steelhead 2013/2014

Post by mizm05 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:59 am

Dang Nate, save some for the rest of us. Don't bonk em all! Oh wait, that's what you do...carry on then! Bonk them all!

Saving my bonking for springers. Not wasting anymore gas chasing ghosts.

steelseeker
Petty Officer

Post by steelseeker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:26 am

Ya this year quite dissapointing, been hitting fortson since mid nov(. when I could) Till about week or so ago. and only hooked into some boot coho and 14" dolly.And I live less than two miles away.good thing I went to cook creek ,otherwise I'd be really be goin crazy.(tried to post pics but didn't work,try again).well back to landlocked steelies in the lakes. Till rivers open. :-({|=

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:21 am

steelseeker wrote:Ya this year quite dissapointing, been hitting fortson since mid nov(. when I could) Till about week or so ago. and only hooked into some boot coho and 14" dolly.And I live less than two miles away.good thing I went to cook creek ,otherwise I'd be really be goin crazy.(tried to post pics but didn't work,try again).well back to landlocked steelies in the lakes. Till rivers open. :-({|=
Dude, hella jealous. Still havent been able to make it over. Goping to get over with my drifter and float the quinault from camp 7 to cook creek. Hopefully in February. They seem to be having a good run over there.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 pm

To answer some who think I dont know what Im talking about. Rain for one day or two days dosent do squat to the rivers and creating a strong freshet. What I wrote earlier is that years when we had floods were always good to great years of fishing. Now this is just my opinion but we need flood stage rivers. That will serve a couple purposes. One is it will send a good freshet in the salt and it will keep the gillnets out as well. Ive seen years like this many times. Like what everyone else said is some years are lean years. Steelhead in particular have many enemies . Sealions,purse seiners,gill nets orcas and all of us. Ya just have to keep trying. Thats steelheading. JMO...

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:04 pm

@racfish. thanks for your veteran perspective. I'm just a stubborn Irishman, so going back for the challenge is easy for me.
The more I come here, the more I learn!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:40 pm

racfish wrote:To answer some who think I dont know what Im talking about. Rain for one day or two days dosent do squat to the rivers and creating a strong freshet. What I wrote earlier is that years when we had floods were always good to great years of fishing. Now this is just my opinion but we need flood stage rivers. That will serve a couple purposes. One is it will send a good freshet in the salt and it will keep the gillnets out as well. Ive seen years like this many times. Like what everyone else said is some years are lean years. Steelhead in particular have many enemies . Sealions,purse seiners,gill nets orcas and all of us. Ya just have to keep trying. Thats steelheading. JMO...
This next weeks rain will show us whether it's going to be a late run or a lean one. You're right, I'm always optimistic. I'll be out there catching fish whether it's tough or easy, the tough years are when my services come in handy, but I do appreciate not having to work so hard on the good days. Look forward to more pictures, I'm out of the sick room. No more TV and tea for me!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:12 pm

I grew up with my dad fishing for steel in the late 50's 60's and 70's. I remember no fish years. It just happens. The beauty of fishing metalheads is that once you catch just 1 youre hooked for life. Limiting to day is easier with a 2 fish limit. When fishing years ago it was a 3 fish limit. LOL. Im ok with not catching every time. Fishing is relaxing and always fun for me. Im now pretty much retired and looking forward to getting out more. No more just weekends for me.
Nate ? What color is your sled? So I can wave when I see you.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:24 pm

Funny you mention flood stage Ralph. Deluge of rain expected Friday for a 12 hour period into Saturday. Anywhere from 2-5" in a 12 hour period. They aren't quite calling for a flood, but they said they will issue a flood watch.

If that truly does come to pass, and still doesn't bring fish in...well, I guess it's just gonna turn out to be a lean season. Bummer.

Hope for a major blow out!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:25 pm

racfish wrote:I grew up with my dad fishing for steel in the late 50's 60's and 70's. I remember no fish years. It just happens. The beauty of fishing metalheads is that once you catch just 1 youre hooked for life. Limiting to day is easier with a 2 fish limit. When fishing years ago it was a 3 fish limit. LOL. Im ok with not catching every time. Fishing is relaxing and always fun for me. Im now pretty much retired and looking forward to getting out more. No more just weekends for me.
Nate ? What color is your sled? So I can wave when I see you.
I run a drift boat, and it's green and silver. Can't miss it, it's a Pavati, and it's BIG. It's a little different for me, I've got a reputation to uphold and paying clients, so it's more "work" than play :-" But in the end it's about fishing, not catching. I'm doing pretty well out there considering. You're right about being hooked for life though, I still remember my first, while fishing for sea run cutthroat on a small coastal stream, on an indianna spinner, a couple of split shot, 8 pound stren with a crawdad tail.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:52 pm

hows cook creek right now, thinking about hitting it as much as it hurts to pay a guide it may be the only game in the state. cheapest guide I found is 125 are there any cheaper?

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:hows cook creek right now, thinking about hitting it as much as it hurts to pay a guide it may be the only game in the state. cheapest guide I found is 125 are there any cheaper?
Ill ask my cousin. Are you bringing your own gear? That should make it cheaper. But then im not sure since ive never paid more than a six pack to fish over there cook creek may be wrapping up, at least past the peak, you want to look into the salmon river. I know there are some good holes off rez.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 pm

spoonman if you decide to go this weekend I would chip in some gas money, maybe meet somewhere other than that I would just go to forks if I don't go to queets/cook. yeah I would bring all my gear and everything covered just would need access haha and maybe where to cast of course

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:22 am

Took a few nice fish before the flood!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (131.06 KiB) Viewed 2356 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (122.87 KiB) Viewed 2356 times
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

primetime
Commander

Post by primetime » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:33 am

That's a nice fish!!

Cozmo4196
Warrant Officer

Post by Cozmo4196 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:08 am

fishenfreak wrote:Took a few nice fish before the flood!

Eggggggggsss for daaaaayyyyyssssss

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:09 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:hows cook creek right now, thinking about hitting it as much as it hurts to pay a guide it may be the only game in the state. cheapest guide I found is 125 are there any cheaper?

Ya kinda get what you pay for with a Guide.... If they are running and cheaper then that I would make sure they are licensed. Maybe you could chip in some gas and tackle money and hook up with an experienced fishermen on the system you want to fish.

TheRealSalmonerd
Petty Officer

Post by TheRealSalmonerd » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:33 pm

Cutest little hatchery steel ever!
Attachments
steel.jpg
steel.jpg (40.7 KiB) Viewed 2169 times

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:37 pm

Any fish is a nice fish this year. Theres two meals there.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:47 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:

Ya kinda get what you pay for with a Guide.... If they are running and cheaper then that I would make sure they are licensed. Maybe you could chip in some gas and tackle money and hook up with an experienced fishermen on the system you want to fish.
If youre doing a walk in on cook creek " guide" is a very loose term

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:23 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote: Ya kinda get what you pay for with a Guide.... If they are running and cheaper then that I would make sure they are licensed. Maybe you could chip in some gas and tackle money and hook up with an experienced fishermen on the system you want to fish.
honestly I would pay someone gas and let them use my gear d bait if they are experienced and teach some holes of their holes and tactics but I won't pay someone $200-300 to take me out, I just don't have that type of money plus you don't really become friends with the guide as much as you might with a local dude that you get a ride with or fish with. I like fishing 12 different rivers but in reality I only catch fish in like 3 or 4 of them and those rivers aren't producing all that great this year so I am concentrating on my local rivers like the satsop, nooch, and dungy now so I can get to know them better for years to come and I have been meeting some pretty cool people that are willing to take me out and show me them.