float fishing yarn balls

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Re: float fishing yarn balls

Post by Kockmandoo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:13 pm

spring break bro we going back. I love those yarnballs almost as much as the fish do! remember fish that wouldn't take my pink worm and I called you over and he nailed the yarnball first cast? twas awesome. they work so well even unscented.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Yea i didnt have any bait or scent. He just hammered

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:44 pm

what, a forks steelhead that didn't hit a pink worm!?! no way, I guess the yarnie is the new top dog in the OP, and I thought my pink worm was unbeatable, darn. good job.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:08 pm

He gave worm a good look, but turned away. We fish a secret tributary to one of the big 3 rivers thats small and clear, so we can sight fish some. We saw him turn away at last second so kockmandoo told me he was there, first cast with yarnie. Hammer!! Remember the spawner hen alexander that nailed the flame chartreuse yarn ball with the downstream bobber slam? Then ran upstream over the little rapids? Who says spawners dont fight!!

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:12 pm

yessssss, that was awesome! yeah the flame/chartreuse yarnball is an awesome one as well especially in colored water. And yeah alot of hype about pink worms on the op and in general. but we caught 1 fish on a pink worm that trip and it hit a yarnball before that.....twice. all the other 15 fish came one yarnballs :-"

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:45 pm

first post, cool bro...

Were not harassing spawning steelhead, 75% or more are chrome bright, if theres a fish that is spawning or has spawned in the area and it bites, so what, released unharmed and back to do their business, you catch spawners in all steelhead rivers, we arent sight fishing spawning beds, we fish WAY before there spawning, and do no harm to the fish that are spawning early. But thanks for the post... [confused]

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:58 pm

flame/chartreuse sounds like a killer combo.
Yeah I love fishing pink worms on most rivers and when ever I go to forks I always bring a pack of pink worms and always atleast try one. Did really good on the steelhead on the bogy last winter during the high waterwith the worms but I lost a lot of rigs because of light line unfortunately but it was kinda cool except sucked as well looking in the hatchery creek and seeing nice big chrome fish with a pink worm hanging out its mouth, boy that hurts.

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:46 am

flame/chartreuse sounds like a killer combo.
Yeah I love fishing pink worms on most rivers and when ever I go to forks I always bring a pack of pink worms and always atleast try one. Did really good on the steelhead on the bogy last winter during the high waterwith the worms but I lost a lot of rigs because of light line unfortunately but it was kinda cool except sucked as well looking in the hatchery creek and seeing nice big chrome fish with a pink worm hanging out its mouth, boy that hurts.

wow haha. obviously that hurts and isnt funny but seeing the fish you hook with the worm in its mouth is great. dont be afraid to beef up that line. 10lb ultragreen is my fave but if the waters dirty go ahead with 12lb. if your breaking 12lb ug theres something wrong it is insanely strong.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:34 pm

yeah I was using 10lb flourocarbon but once I switched to 14lb I started landing a couple but I hooked this hawg, at least 16+lbs maybe 18 but it went my hook on a jump, that hurt.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:44 am

Its bigger than a tiny spawning tributary, and like i said, if 75% are chrome and only a handful of fish all year are spawned out, were not harming anything. The river closes april 15 because the WDFW knows that they start to spawn AFTER that, and fishing before is not disturbing any spawning. We never see beds or paired up fish, ever in this river. The fish spawn in may and the river is well closed by then. This river is written up in fly fishin books and stuff, its not spawning grounds

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Yeah I see the concern but honestly we don't catch alot of spawners there, and when we do its on selective gear so its not very harmful to the fish. We don't see fish pairing up so I feel were definitely not targeting spawners at this time of year. If we felt like we were hurting/killing them I would stop immediately. It would be bad if we were sight casting spawning pairs or fishing a tiny side stream for really dark fish, but I don't get the impression these fish are either one of those. Im not trying to be malicious in my response please tell me if I come off that way, just trying to explain that we are ethical and would not directly try to harass spawners, and in this case we believe that we don't.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Don't sweat it kid. You're just fine. Keep on rocking it the way you are.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:13 pm

Metal wrote:It's all good you didn't come off malicious and I wasn't trying to come off that way either. I've just seen a lot of bs going on up there throughout the past few years and I guess I jumped to conclusions. Our coast is the last spot in this state we can fish for nates and some people are ruining it. Slay on brother

ur right about that, forks is about all we have left for steelheading anything other than hatchery brats. And its nice to see people who are concerned about it also, promise ya we arent fishing on spawners tho, who wants to catch those anyway. There are a few around, as there are in all rivers, cant help it but quickly release and let um back to their thing

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Yeah idk how far south you live, but if you want to catch some quality native steelhead, get the canadian license and fish the vedder, it has a very healthy population. funny how its about 10 miles from the nooksack but sports infinitely better runs of all the species in there. [confused] [confused] . guess its a location thing

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Kockmandoo wrote:funny how its about 10 miles from the nooksack but sports infinitely better runs of all the species in there. [confused] [confused] . guess its a location thing
Are you for real or joking? Its called difference between well managed runs and very regulated commercial and tribal netting, VS Washington with shitty fisheries management, absolutely no money to do anything to help and the ridiculous amount of fish that are taken not only by tribal netting but commercial netting in the sound as well. could be 1 mile apart but as long as its in canada or oregon your gonna see better fisheries. Shoulda gone to oregon state university to fish the nestucca, wilson, trask, santiam, ect... Wash sucks, not to mention they destroyed the last broodstock program in the state on the sol duc snider creek fish

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:47 pm

yeah im not very good at using sarcasm in my typing. I was joking that it was a location thing it kind of is because one is in canada with good management and one in washington with shitty management. Look at oregon, lots of hatchery broodstock programs and very well managed fishery, canada virtually every hatchery program is a broodstock one, and washington has zero..............haha oregon was too expensive! and I got a scholarship to MSU!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 am

haha yea figured u were joking but couldnt quuuuite tell

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:39 am

Kockmandoo wrote:yeah im not very good at using sarcasm in my typing. I was joking that it was a location thing it kind of is because one is in canada with good management and one in washington with shitty management. Look at oregon, lots of hatchery broodstock programs and very well managed fishery, canada virtually every hatchery program is a broodstock one, and washington has zero..............haha oregon was too expensive! and I got a scholarship to MSU!
Yahahaha, keep it close...... [cool]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!