C'mon, man.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jonb
Commander

Re: C'mon, man.

Post by jonb » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:20 pm

I bring 3 rods these days. 11'6 centerpin rod for float fisjing 6'6 twitching rod and a 9 ft A.P. rod for _____ fishing. (usually spoons). And thats if i leave the 9 weight at home. Its nice to have your bases covered, sonedays one thing will work better than the other, nothing worse than rolling up to a picture perfect float run with no float rod.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:47 pm

I have been fishing whatcom creek regularly this month only because of the rains and high muddy water here up north near mt baker on the nooksack.... The only fish i keep if any are all caught in the mouth... if not they go in the tube or back to the creek... ( fisherman beware of the harbor seals that are being fed by the catches ) WDFW is doing everything they can this season including being up at whatcom creek... hell i saw two in cuffs friday being taken away.... After talking to one of the head fish biologists at the tech college, he stated they had over 18,000+ fish put in the tube last year, and that's not including the ones that were taken home or the ones that made it up the creeks to spawn..

Just an FYI, I've met with 3 officers from WDFW in the past month alone, two that were walking down the south fork from acme to the confluence and the hottie up at whatcom... Oh shes hot

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:49 pm

jonb wrote:Flossers stink. They litterally smell bad.. This is a proven fact. Google it. Lol

It's interesting to see the vast difference in perspective about flossing in the lower-48 and Alaska. I've fished the Kenai River up there many times and "flossing" is the go to for sockeye and no one bats an eye. We're usually on a boat pulling plugs but still - it's all over the place. Albeit - though - there are some massive differences in the sport in Alaska and down in the lower 48. For instance the greater Seattle area (over a million people) has more people than the entire population of Alaska (roughly around 740k).
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:53 pm

Yeah.. I see a big difference between snagging and sportfishing. Snagging even when legal to do so, or flossing in this case is glorified harvesting. Not sport or gamefishing. There is no real challenge, there is no skill or talent required to do it. It is barbaric and harmful to the fish. Snagging, really is animal abuse. Then you have the poaching that is often associated with snagging and flossing. Often the type of people who feel the to stretch the rules will also break the rules entirely if they feel no one is watching or will simply not care at all. Ive seen plenty of flossers start off flossing, but after a few minutes start ripping every cast and blatantly start snagging. Or keep snagged fish or keep more than their limit. This is because they have no respect for the sport. In order to really gain respect i feel like a person needs to go through the hardships and rewards of doing it right and by the book. Snagging and flossing as mentioned before are cheats, often times are illegal or at best grey area methods not used by real sportsmen.

Yup I probably just p*ssed some people off. Not sorry either. (im not talking drifters either, im talking 6ft+ leader folk and snaggers.)
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:27 pm

I totally agree with jonb on this. Flossing is a way to force a hook in the mouths fish. While I support harvest of salmon for personal use as it is a natural resource we are privileged to have I also see as unsportmanlike to force a hook into a fish. Whether its snagging a fish on the side or trying to force it in its mouth. To me the pleasure of fishing comes into fooling a fish that your presentation is something it wants to attack and take a bite at.

Now addressing harbor seals. Those seals have been here way before man and I don't see anything wrong with them taking a natural food source that has always been part of their diet. Now if you mention California sea lions those are destructive and invasive to washington. 2 separate species with 2 separate histories. Sea lions gather in large groups and are much bigger then our native harbor seal. Seals are usually solitary and opportunistic feeders so of course they will prey on large congregations of salmon but with only about 800+ living in the state that's not a whole lot to put a dent in salmon populations on the other hand sea lions populations are in the thousands and they gorge themselves with salmon while they are opportunistic also they are not native and they're is a lot more of them than harbor seals. We cannot claim this resource as our own as we don't own nature even though some of us would like to think so. The tribes claimed it as their own and you could see where that has put us!

Just my 2cents on that.

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:22 am

Hey y'all,
Really good blog that has brought out some very strong feelings about flossing/snagging fish. I'm a long time fisherman and usually keep to myself for the most part but i do admit it's hard to fish next to someone "whipping" their line constantly and reeling in fish that has been snagged. When I see this happen I remind the person that snagging is illegal and retention of snagged fish is also illegal. Hopefully they will listen and learn. I may catch some flack for this but DO NOT physically confront these people as this is also unlawful and isn't following the laws is what this blog is about. Furthermore you or your fellow fisherman could be harmed - not worth it. Just call the WDFW dept and hope for the best.
I would like to comment on the use of corkies and lengths of leaders. I've used corkies throughout my fishing life with really good success - multiple colors - legally caught. I've also used different lengths of leader depending on water conditions and choice of offering. At times, yes, I've used a 6ft leader with very good success. For example, when fishing rivers for steelhead using shrimp I often use a 4-6 ft leader. The longer leader allows my offering to follow the current a little better (float more) than a shorter one would. Try this; take a piece of rope cut one piece into a 2ft length and another into a 6ft length. Now imagine one end is fixed on both pieces and move the other end around and see how much travel you have.
I know this is basic but the point being is not to ridicule someone for using a longer leader than you unless of course their fishing illegally. What if I use a 1ft leader should I now comment on how 3ft leaders are for snagging. Some of you who feel that you're better because of your choice of leader length and/or offering I find offensive. You're probable better than that. I guess my bottom line is let's stick to what's illegal and not bash others for their LEGAL preferences. I'll probably catch some flack for this but had to put in my 2 cents worth.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:18 pm

18" is my min and 36" is my max, if your drift fishing most of the fish are within that depth of the water column, so you should be well within their visual... Fish can see up and down contrary to others opinion..... Just wait for this argument.........

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Fishin'Daze wrote:Hey y'all,
Really good blog that has brought out some very strong feelings about flossing/snagging fish. I'm a long time fisherman and usually keep to myself for the most part but i do admit it's hard to fish next to someone "whipping" their line constantly and reeling in fish that has been snagged. When I see this happen I remind the person that snagging is illegal and retention of snagged fish is also illegal. Hopefully they will listen and learn. I may catch some flack for this but DO NOT physically confront these people as this is also unlawful and isn't following the laws is what this blog is about. Furthermore you or your fellow fisherman could be harmed - not worth it. Just call the WDFW dept and hope for the best.
I would like to comment on the use of corkies and lengths of leaders. I've used corkies throughout my fishing life with really good success - multiple colors - legally caught. I've also used different lengths of leader depending on water conditions and choice of offering. At times, yes, I've used a 6ft leader with very good success. For example, when fishing rivers for steelhead using shrimp I often use a 4-6 ft leader. The longer leader allows my offering to follow the current a little better (float more) than a shorter one would. Try this; take a piece of rope cut one piece into a 2ft length and another into a 6ft length. Now imagine one end is fixed on both pieces and move the other end around and see how much travel you have.
I know this is basic but the point being is not to ridicule someone for using a longer leader than you unless of course their fishing illegally. What if I use a 1ft leader should I now comment on how 3ft leaders are for snagging. Some of you who feel that you're better because of your choice of leader length and/or offering I find offensive. You're probable better than that. I guess my bottom line is let's stick to what's illegal and not bash others for their LEGAL preferences. I'll probably catch some flack for this but had to put in my 2 cents worth.
If I ever say something to someone out in the river it usually is after I see them haul in a few fish that are snagged and keep. I call it freedom of speech and if they want to get in a fight I usually back off and call it in not because I am afraid but because fighting doesn't save our salmon. Now to your comment regarding corkies and leaders. I do believe you can catch fish in the mouth with 6ft + leaders but that is what we refer to as flossing not snagging. Flossing is frowned upon for the simple fact that the corky is buoyant and creates a line drifting down that is all the way from the bottom to up to 6 ft off the bottom off the river in the hopes that you catch an unsuspecting fish with its mouth open and line simply passes through its mouth resulting in a hookup in the mouth. By wdfw standards that is legit but to me it is not as I like to entice my catch to actually bite my presentation. I am not saying that it doesn't work but it is frowned upon by a lot like myself. Now if you add shrimp or any bait for matter that isn't buoyant that is where the difference begins. Shrimp isn't buoyant and adding a corky lifts it up off the bottom to the strike zone. This is where longer leaders may play a role. Also bead fishing I agree you need longer leaders as the bead also isn't buoyant so to keep it in the strike zone a longer may be needed. This all can change with river, river conditions and so forth. Once again when we speak of flossers we speak of guys who use nothing but corky and yarn and just trying to catch a fish with its mouth open as to make it look as if the fish actually bit the corky. Remember fish breathe from their mouth so they constantly have to open and close their mouth just to breathe and flossers know this. When I fish corky by itself I try to not use any leaders longer than 3 ft as most fish in the river are hugging bottom and 3 ft is plenty long enough to keep it in the strike zone. I rarely use corkies now as I switched over to beads. They look more like the real thing and I don't have to worry if it is in the strike zone as they are not buoyant. Just my 2 cents on that. You don't have to agree and we don't think we are better than anyone using corkies. At least I know I don't

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:32 am

Riverhunter,

Thanks for your response and proving my point. I would like to know who "we" are. Also what is the length of leader that you or "we" consider long enough to be flossing? Is it 3ft , 3.5ft., 4ft., etc. What is happening is some fisherman are using long leaders to purposely snag fish - not good. But to now set a "standard" based on your own preferences in regards to leader length that isn't flossing I find offensive to my many years of experience as do my fishing friends. Also the use of corkies has been around for a long time and used by many legal fisherman. So why do you think that you are now speaking for "we" regarding the use of corkies and yarn.
My intent isn't to upset you or any other fisherman. Lets keep in mind that we all have different techniques and as long as it is legal we should respect them. But by setting our own preferences on others is a slippery slope.
Again, Riverhunter, you sound like a good guy and someone great to fish with. This blog, at first, discussed something most of us find offensive and unethical - lets keep there.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Fishin'Daze wrote:Riverhunter,

Thanks for your response and proving my point. I would like to know who "we" are. Also what is the length of leader that you or "we" consider long enough to be flossing? Is it 3ft , 3.5ft., 4ft., etc. What is happening is some fisherman are using long leaders to purposely snag fish - not good. But to now set a "standard" based on your own preferences in regards to leader length that isn't flossing I find offensive to my many years of experience as do my fishing friends. Also the use of corkies has been around for a long time and used by many legal fisherman. So why do you think that you are now speaking for "we" regarding the use of corkies and yarn.
My intent isn't to upset you or any other fisherman. Lets keep in mind that we all have different techniques and as long as it is legal we should respect them. But by setting our own preferences on others is a slippery slope.
Again, Riverhunter, you sound like a good guy and someone great to fish with. This blog, at first, discussed something most of us find offensive and unethical - lets keep there.
Obsiously I am not speaking for you or any other anglers."We" is in regards to my circle of friends that I fish with. Their is no standard and I am not the person to put a standard on that but 6ft is way too long whether you want to admit it or not. If you took offense its maybe because you know this to be true. I never said corky and yarn doesn't catch fish I simply stated that when using corky and yarn 3ft is plenty long enough to keep you in the strike zone give or take a few. Unless adding bait ,corky and yarn no need to be out of the strike zone by using extremely long leaders. Once again "we" see this all the time. Guys using long leaders just in the hopes of flossing. Not saying that you are flossing and not trying to attack and it has nothing to do with how long you've been fishing either. For the most part it also depends on what river system you are fishing. Most puget sound rivers don't get any deeper then 8ft and the higher up in the system the shallower it gets. 6 foot leaders in those systems are running the depth of the river so in most cases these guys are simply trying to floss. Columbia and its tributaries are the exception as those rivers can get pretty deep and that is where 6foot leaders might come into play. By the way I find flossing offensive and unethical.