C'mon, man.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Ian Horning
Petty Officer

C'mon, man.

Post by Ian Horning » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:14 pm

I find this quite humorous, a trinket I found in the Wallace last year.
IMG_1422 (1).jpg
What is the point of the hoochie squid on there. That's a waste of a perfectly good squid. "But... it attracts the fish to it, and then, you hook them in the @$$, and then, I break the fish off cause my 20lb mono from walmart isn't strong enough, and then..."

No, just no. You and the corky and yarn "I'm getting a bite" guys need to stop.

I recently heard a story from guys up in b'ham that went something along the lines of this: A couple guys go out, illegally keep 5 coho outta the salt. get caught, gross misdemeanors or something. Back out the next day, same thing, they get three fish and get caught again, this time, with steeper fines. They skip a day, but go out the next day and do the same thing. They lost their boat, truck, potential jail time, huge fines.... by the way, they went out to the same damn spot each day.

These are the guys we have ruining our fisheries. They don't listen, they don't learn, and they don't care. The only way to get them off is to physically take away their fishing stuff.

Y'all should all use the WDFW TIP hotline. Even if you don't think it works or whatever, it's better than not trying. Get in touch with local wardens if possible. Help me get these jack@$$es off our rivers, help out our sport and community.

This ain't me being elitest or anything. Just trying to help our fisheries by rooting out the problems.
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

riverhunter
Commander

Re: C'mon, man.

Post by riverhunter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:39 pm

Okay now I can agree that they need to stop but calling out the corky and yarn guys is inappropriate in my opinion as not everyone using corkies or yarn are snagging. I use corky not with yarn and I use yarn balls that I make myself. Caught plenty of fish using that technique but never use more then 3 ft in big rivers and never use more then 2 ft on the Wallace I am imitating single eggs drifting down the bottom with corky. Heck I even switch it out and use beads at times. Never foul hooked fish and never yank just because I hit bottom. Yarn balls are used to imitate egg cluster when I have no eggs in hand. While not a technique I use everywhere they do bite those presentations because at times I've had my rod almost yanked right out of my hand by silvers and steelhead. I'm a float guy for the most part but that isn't for every occasion either. The guys that are using 4ft and more are the flossers which I don't agree with either
Last edited by riverhunter on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:44 pm

I hear ya.
This is a trend not limited to our sport.

America has become land of the selfish, home of the I do whatever I want!
Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:34 pm

Better go get a Tetnus shot :-&

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:11 am

I've seen these contraptions left all over the rivers too unfortunately..
Here's a good ol' spark plug ghetto snag rig I found at the Pilchuck a year or so ago....
Sad stuff
Attachments
pilchuck snag.jpeg

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:27 am

fisherman92 wrote:I've seen these contraptions left all over the rivers too unfortunately..
Here's a good ol' spark plug ghetto snag rig I found at the Pilchuck a year or so ago....
Sad stuff
Wow. That is very sad to see. I would really good these guys have what's coming to them. I don't what's so fun in not being able to entice a fish to take your offering. In my opinion that's the thrill of fishing. Being able to fool a fish that your presentation is something they want to grab with their mouths is what brings me satisfaction. If I wanted fish so bad I would just go to my local grocery store and buy some. These guys need to be caught and taken their rights to be on the river fishing for good. The fact that they don't get caught makes them more courageous and ruining it for the rest of us who follow the rules and want to bring fish home the right way.

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:42 am

fisherman92 wrote: Wow. That is very sad to see. I would really good these guys have what's coming to them. I don't what's so fun in not being able to entice a fish to take your offering. In my opinion that's the thrill of fishing. Being able to fool a fish that your presentation is something they want to grab with their mouths is what brings me satisfaction. If I wanted fish so bad I would just go to my local grocery store and buy some. These guys need to be caught and taken their rights to be on the river fishing for good. The fact that they don't get caught makes them more courageous and ruining it for the rest of us who follow the rules and want to bring fish home the right way.
The as*wipes who do this:
1. Don't have licenses
2. Won't work, so don't have money to buy fish anyway
3. Are not concerned about consequences, because they have got zero to lose, they fish with stolen gear.
4. Would not pay a ticket if they had the money to anyway. Better things to spend money on like smokes, weed booze and crack
5. Are just as likely to be smashing the window in your vehicle in the parking lot to steal the change out of the cup holder
6. Are probably going to try and turn a buck on any fish they snag (egg hunters) and will end up wasting the fish
7. Are the first to holler that they are free Americans, and nobody's gonna tell them what to do
8. Despise and laugh at you because you "play by the rules, are a slave to your job and are such a sissy...

It's not a choice, it's a way of life.
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:45 am

Hmm, makes me wonder how you know this so well! I know that its tweakers and drug addicts for the most part but calling it a way of life is an effin disgrace and it is a choice. I choose to obey by the rules because for me it is a way a life and want to see our natural resources used by those who follow the rules not break them. A slave to my job, please we are all slaves to society and corporate America if you haven't noticed by now. I choose not to be a slave to my job and never buy into corporate America. Not trying to attack you but it seems as you agree with these a$$wipes decisions in life. I'm just gonna stop looking at this thread as I don't want to pi$$ anyone off or take my opinions the wrong way as these are guys that I will confront on the river every chance I get and have done so in the past when I see these idiots out on the river!!

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:27 am

riverhunter wrote:Hmm, makes me wonder how you know this so well! I know that its tweakers and drug addicts for the most part but calling it a way of life is an effin disgrace and it is a choice. I choose to obey by the rules because for me it is a way a life and want to see our natural resources used by those who follow the rules not break them. A slave to my job, please we are all slaves to society and corporate America if you haven't noticed by now. I choose not to be a slave to my job and never buy into corporate America. Not trying to attack you but it seems as you agree with these a$$wipes decisions in life. I'm just gonna stop looking at this thread as I don't want to pi$$ anyone off or take my opinions the wrong way as these are guys that I will confront on the river every chance I get and have done so in the past when I see these idiots out on the river!!
Naw Baywolf is just telling you that basically the folks that do this don't given a rip about any of us, our ethics, or laws. They could care less if you take away their gear, their fishing license, or anything else. 99.9% don't have a fishing license anyway, so there is nothing to take away. Their gear, that was stolen from the last guy's vehicle that was parked that they broke in to. They will just steal some more. Pretty sure he was just pointing out the fact the revoking their license or confiscating their gear won't help, because these guys fishing in this manner could care less.

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:33 am

Wow. How in the heck do you think this is "fishing" and not poaching using those claws to snag fish? That's just incredible people try and use these contraptions and don't get caught somehow. As you guys said - the types that end up trying to get away with this type of fishing are usually the types that try to get away with a lot of other things in life as well. I grew up always being taught to respect the outdoors and the animals living in it and this was never something I would ever consider unless I was in a survival type situation (which I have to doubt people doing this are not in). It's just mind blowing to me. I hope I don't have to encounter people doing this type of stuff. Won't be a pretty conversation.
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:36 am

River,
I don't condone nor do I subscribe to the lifestyle these As*wipes live. I was merely highlighting the difference between how they live (and think) and how the rest of the productive citizens live. Please don't be offended as I was NOT singling you out, but rather using "you" to mean "the rest of us.
It's unfortunate there are "these type" of degernerats on our rivers, our towns and in our neighborhoods. But it goes way deeper than a simple choice to commit a crime. As you said , you choose to obey the laws because it is "your way of life." They choose not to for the same reason. It is truly a mindset. An overriding need to do whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want! It IS a way of life.

Confronting them, punishing them or trying to change their behavior is futile. They just don't give a $hit about anything or anyone but themselves. Saying they should be fined is like saying a dog should be lectured. It has zero impact on changing behavior.
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:03 am

Baywolf sorry if I came out as an ahole as my intentions were not to attack anyone here and I can now see where you are coming from. These guys just really make my blood boil and can sometimes get the best of me.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:12 am

[blink] Baywolf sorry if I came out as an ahole as my intentions were not to attack anyone here and I can now see where you are coming from. These guys just really make my blood boil and can sometimes get the best of me. I don't believe any ticket or taking of gear will do any good either as you have already mentioned but the presence of game wardens needs to be more prevalent. That might be the only way to deter these guys. I know there isn't enough enforcement as it is but more presence in the areas that are hit hard can at least save a few fish for future generations. Generations speaking of runs not ppl.

Bay wolf
Commander

Post by Bay wolf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:23 am

No harm no foul River. I fully appreciate your frustration!
US Army 1st SGT (Ret)

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:47 pm

I think more of us should start throwing snaggers in the river. A good dunking in december or a good ole fashion @$$ kicking would be quite memorable and would give pause to that behavior. Thats what the kanucks do up here (to a degree). It seems to work pretty good too... I think violence is the answer. It usually isn't the answer in most cases in life, but this may be the exception. If your at a run of mostly ethical anglers and a snagger drops in and fouls it up for everyone, toss em in lol.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:02 pm

jonb wrote:I think more of us should start throwing snaggers in the river. A good dunking in december or a good ole fashion @$$ kicking would be quite memorable and would give pause to that behavior. Thats what the kanucks do up here (to a degree). It seems to work pretty good too... I think violence is the answer. It usually isn't the answer in most cases in life, but this may be the exception. If your at a run of mostly ethical anglers and a snagger drops in and fouls it up for everyone, toss em in lol.

Said like a true Leatherneck.

It will take more honest fisherman to get involved one way or another to stop these dirtbags, I would have no problem calling the Wardens, or backing anyone up that calls these types out. I have only been on the rivers for a few short years and am still learning. After watching drifters give the big yank at the end of their drift as well as some a few times in the drift, I made the decision to not even try and learn how to use that method, not that all are snagging, I know that most are trying to be within the rules, I just would hate to even accidentally snag a fish and have to release it after fighting to land it, that would be depressing to me but I would let it go.
Just be sure someone has your back if you confront them, since they scoff at the laws I am sure many will want to fight you for interrupting their fun.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:20 pm

Hoorah devil dog

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:35 am

The WDFW tells me to call the State Patrol. The State Patrol tells us to call the WDFW. I'm not bashing the State Patrol but they don't care or don't want to get involved in fishing rights. The tribal police are a real joke. There aren't enough wardens to patrol the rivers.Oregon rivers are full of fish. So are Canadas rivers.Wa state fisheries have been on a steady decline. Its sad.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:06 pm

I went all the way back to 2003 escapement reports to see what the numbers were back then. The sky by now had 25,000+ silvers the green had 28,000+ silvers the Puyallup had 31,000+ silvers the Wallace had 8,000+ silvers and the samish had 6,000+ silvers. Now compared that to this year and a few years back and you could see the trend of fish dwindling way down in just a few years. Makes me wonder if all this has to do with commercial netting of salmon. Not just in Washington's but I believe Alaska has a lot to do with this.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:24 pm

My favorite river here in bc is increasing in run size every year. Its rebounding from a crash in fish stocks caused by an accident. 10 years ago it was nearly devoid and is now teaming with fish... But yet washington in is in steady decline.. Not sure what conclusion to draw from that but the fisheries up here are like night and day. The tributary i fish chums on gets 800,000 per year!! Its a whole 3km long. You could just about cross the river on their backs. I could go on and on about it. Washingtons river fisheries are a trajedy.