Help Re: Columbia

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sfgregorini
Petty Officer

Help Re: Columbia

Post by sfgregorini » Sat May 14, 2016 7:30 am

My cousin and I want to be drive down to the Columbia in July to fish due to the closures. We will be coming from Monroe area.

Im coming from Pa and didn't want to cancel my trip so we are going to try and explore or find a place on the Columbia we can fish for 3-4 days and come back. I would be gracious if someone could lead me in the right direction regarding a place we can fish from shore around that time for Steelhead and Kings. We will also have access to his small 3 man boat so we can get out on the water as well.

If you could be specific to exactly were to go neither of us have been down there but I don't want to waste my airline ticket because it is non refundable.

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Help Re: Columbia

Post by Larry3215 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:03 am

You need to be much more specific about your dates. Seasons for salmon these days are often only a few day long.

Plus - Fishing regulations/rules/seasons/times/limits/places are in hi flux at the moment and subject to change on very very short notice. I have been getting emails from WDFW almost daily with new emergency rules changes, new closures, new openings, limit changes, gear changes, etc.

So there is some very real risk involved in trying to plan ahead for salmon/steal-head fishing anywhere in the North West for the foreseeable future.

The rules RIGHT NOW might allow you to fish in one small part of the river only, for one type of fish only on certain days only with certain gear only - but they could be completely different by July 1st and different again by July 5th and again by July 10th.

Also, the new rules for Washington dont come out until July 1st and I dont think they have published them ahead of time so far. I could be wrong about that - I havent checked.

So - you are flipping a coin as far as being able to fish when you get here.

sfgregorini
Petty Officer

Post by sfgregorini » Sat May 14, 2016 9:53 am

Thank you for the feedback. To be specific the dates will be July 7th to the 17th

How about the cowlitz

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Sat May 14, 2016 10:33 am

There should be some open areas on the Columbia as most of it will be open (after July 1st, if similar seasons to last year) for Summer Kings and possibly Sockeye (Vernita up to Wells dam), as Larry stated it is an odd year so you never know exactly what will be happening where. Cowlitz would have summer Kings and Steelhead so that would also be a fall back plan. Baker may open for Sockeye as well (usually around mid-July). And you never know, maybe some resolution will be reached and the rivers/sound will open up.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:26 am

Its a a very technical fishery. Need gear, rods, reels, line etc suited for the task. I was born/raised in north Portland and grew up fishing the Willamette and the Columbia. I still go down there couple times a year. I haven't gone this year so far as the Springer fishing hasnt been very good. You need to carefully watch the WDFW website for when/where the Columbia will be open.

You will be plunking off a beach. Its heavy duty plunking, depending on the tides, 8-12 oz of lead, spin n glo, often a smaller size Kwikfish on a slider. It s a long story. You can fish the Oregon side with a Washington license. I mostly fish the C with my friend who has a boat and lives in Columbia City, OR.

One place off the beach I still fish now and then is Prescott Bar on the Oregon side about 10 miles upstream from the Longview Bridge. You can stay at a motel in St Helens, called the Village Inn, cheap. Just go to Prescott, assuming its open and there will be guys there and talk to them and look at their gear, and try and match it. Sand spike rod holder, bell. The locals are a nice bunch.

July is too late for Springers and too early for Fall run Chinooks (URBs). July is mostly summer Steelhead. Mid June is better, there will be both late Springers and Steelhead. Of course, early Sept for Fall runs and Steelhead. I don't know how the runs will be. The Columbia is a big, big river. Without a lot of research, or going with a guy who knows what to do, where to go, its tough. You would be advised to spend the bucks and go out in a guide boat.

For the run size:
http://www.fpc.org/web/apps/adultsalmon ... sgraph.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!

sfgregorini
Petty Officer

Post by sfgregorini » Sat May 14, 2016 12:39 pm

Excellent advice

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat May 14, 2016 12:46 pm

One other thing, going on the C in a small boat can be risky. Need to be aware of the wind. You can get 3 foot wind chop pretty easy when the wind comes out off the west and starts blowing upriver against the current. When you anchor, on a strong out tide, the current can be ferocious.

sfgregorini
Petty Officer

Post by sfgregorini » Sat May 14, 2016 12:48 pm

Is there anywhere I can fish for steelhead or salmon like I bank fish on the skykomish at gold bar?

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Sat May 14, 2016 1:38 pm

Cowlitz, Blue creek or Barrier dam (keep your fingers crossed that you can fish the Sky). It can get a little crazy, probably extra this year with all the other closures. For a change of pace you could hit the Jetty at Westport. Nate Treat has a pretty good article outlining techniques on this site from a couple years ago.

Goldrigger1
Petty Officer

Post by Goldrigger1 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:39 am

I want to go at that time too. I agree with Larry. It is going to be odd. The Sockeye are probably up to Brewster by then. Not a good bank area. I've got a boat and I'm targeting Sockeye but am told by locals that the run may be very small and closed to fishing.

We've got a Pacific Ocean warm water event and a very strange situation with the tribes. This is one of the worst years to try to plan a trip.

The Cowlitz is one of the most dependable rivers we have.

sfgregorini
Petty Officer

Post by sfgregorini » Sun May 15, 2016 7:48 am

Assuming they open how is the projected run on the sky for steelhead?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:44 am

I dont think you can trust projections right now. Thats part of the problem. The fish are not following the rules this year.