Skagit River

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
lilswede1
Angler

Skagit River

Post by lilswede1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:13 am

Fished Skagit on 8/4/15 allllll day. Tried Jigs, wicked willy, dick nite, FST's of different colors. Not one bump. River is a fair color with some glacier scum attacking line and lures so check and clean it every few casts. Finally bit the bullet and went to sand shrimp behind boat. Caught 2, 1 1/2 lb. and a 3 lber. Both fish small but in really nice shape and put up fight like a 5 or 6 lber.
Lost aluminum anchor holder on bow of boat (wood had rotten and broke off when raising anchor). $200 later plus materials I have replaced it using all aluminum and putting a safety line on the holder so if it take break off I wont lose it.
Saw 2 other fish caught. 1 in the boat behind me and 1 by a bank fisher. Both were using shrimp.
Waiting for big run to come (hopefully it will) but will go down tomorrow and try again.

gregsalmon
Petty Officer

Re: Skagit River

Post by gregsalmon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:47 am

Interesting report. I was wondering when the pinks would show up. Sounds like a few are just starting.....???

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:55 pm

What part of the skagit were you fishing? North fork, south fork or above the spudhouse?

wlai
Petty Officer

Post by wlai » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Got to ask, what the heck is "spudhouse" ?

Nate Tomyn
Angler

Post by Nate Tomyn » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:45 pm

Spud house south of the mount Vernon bridge. Have to drive through mount Vernon to get there. If you launch in mount Vernon and head south down the river you'll see the launch on the right before the river splits. Still low and slow there, bunch of logs around the launch shoo be careful.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:01 pm

Yea it's just above the fork of the south and north fork. It's close enough to the mouth that it's still pretty tidally influenced. It's usually a decent area early. There is a WDFW access site there. Bank access is "ok", and there is a small boat launch.