Time to put some horses to good use

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
billa98272
Petty Officer

Time to put some horses to good use

Post by billa98272 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:01 am

Me and my wife and Daughter have horses. My plan is take them camping at Cayuse Horse Camp north of Cle Elum this summer. It is close to Salmon La Sac and Cooper River. The plan is to grab a pack rod or three and maybe pull out some dinner for the camp fire. I've seen a few reports on Cooper River, but never been there I'm not sure of the access by horseback. Can anyone give me pointers on this area. And does anyone else ride up into places to fish? Would like to know some other good rides to fishing holes.

Cascadian
Petty Officer

Re: Time to put some horses to good use

Post by Cascadian » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:58 am

Sounds like an awesome time! What I can tell you about Cooper river is that the majority of it is deep within a steep canyon and contains class IV and V rapids. The only relatively easy sections to access and fish would be the top mile or so as it leaves Cooper lake and the bottom where it dumps into the Cle Elum river by Salmon La Sac campground. I would recommend a fly rod and streamers or spinning rod with crankbaits/spinners for the lake and top part of the river.

Teanaway river is another place you might want to check out for camping and fishing.