Boating the Snohomish

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kyamukun
Petty Officer

Boating the Snohomish

Post by kyamukun » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:34 am

I'd like to take my boat out on the Snohomish to fish for Coho this fall, but not sure if it's suited for a prop motor. I have a 15' Smoker Craft Pro Alaskan with a 40hp outboard. I'm guessing Thomas Eddy is deep enough for a prop motor, but how is it getting there from either Cady or High Bridge boat launch?

In general, what are the areas that are safe for a non-jet power boat?

KarpKilla
Petty Officer

Re: Boating the Snohomish

Post by KarpKilla » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:56 am

In case you didn't know there's an unspoken rule among the fishermen at Thomas' Eddy, boaters and bankies alike. Never plop your boat, raft, plunking gear, directly in the middle of the hole. But a great place to anchor up is just below the hole.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:06 am

This topic comes up EVERY year.

Lol

Do a search for "prop snohomish" there are TONS of related hits.

http://washingtonlakes.com/forum/viewto ... sh#p196448" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kyamukun
Petty Officer

Post by kyamukun » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:40 am

thx guys.

karpkilla, i've bank fished thomas eddy so can sympathize with the bank fishers when the boats come by. was planning to anchor south of the eddy - and come through slowly if i'm launching from cady. :-)

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:52 am

In a prop your not gonna go to much further then right above the mouth of the pilchuck. It gets pretty skinny up above there and there is a nice grave yard with lots of prop eating logs. Coming down from high bridge is going to impossible with anything other then a jet.

kyamukun
Petty Officer

Post by kyamukun » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:44 am

thx, steelheadin! i'll keep to the banks then unless i can catch a ride on a jet boat. :)

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:49 pm

I fish the lower Sno all the time in my 18' North River. Just launch at Langus Park on the lower Sno. Head upriver, take the sharp left at Lowell and keep going for awhile to above the power lines, or just below the town of Snohomish or go past Snohomish to just above the mouth of the Pilchuck. You will have lots of company from other prop boats. Troll plugs or spinners, enjoy. It is perfectly safe to run the lower river in a prop boat. There are a few deadheads, just stay in mid river and don't cut the corner in turns. The worst spot for deadheads is just after the left turn at Lowell.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:52 pm

you can launch at langus in everett and run up to the mouth of the pilchuck.. thats plenty of water to cover... plus theres the skagit up north which is alot more prop boat friendly..

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Or you could buy my 65 horse jet... I try to be courteous to the people on the bank anywhere they are. Buy what they dont realize is the a boat disturbs the water alpt less on a plane. People think you are being a jerk when you blast by, but really its the best thing you can do. If you throttle down you throw a much bigger wake. If you go really slow you are blocking them from casting for alot longer.

kyamukun
Petty Officer

Post by kyamukun » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:13 pm

Awesome! Thx for the info guys! I few more questions. Pardon me for asking so many, but want to make sure I'm prepared for my first outing on the river with my boat.

- You guys suggested launching in Everett. How about launching at Cady? I live in Renton so that'd be a shorter drive for me.
- As long as I stay below the Pilchuk do I have to be concerned about the tides?
- When trolling you go with the current at a speed just faster than the current, right?
- I fished the Columbia earlier this year on a guided trip for springers. We plunked quick fish behind the boat on a 5'-6' leader with an 8 oz cannonball on a 6"-12" dropper. Will this work for coho in the Snohomish?
- Is free drifting eggs a common approach from a power boat on the river?

Appreciate all the helpful info!

Sixgill
Petty Officer

Post by Sixgill » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Yep, stay below the Pilchuck with a prop and watch for wood there is lots of it, but for the most part it's easy to navigate. The launch in Snohomish has a very abrupt drop off at lower tides. I've seen a few guys hang their trailer leaf springs on the edge.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:21 am

I don't even know where Cady is. But Langus is right off of I5, if you live in Renton just stay on 405 to I5. Tides aren't really a big consideration, since you are trolling not anchored. There is a tidal effect upriver to well above Snohomish. Different guys have different ideas. Some troll with the current. some against, whatever works. Anchored with a Kwikfish? No, this is a trolling deal. Some guys try drifting and casting spinners. There can be lots of Seals in the lower river and they will take your fish. If there aren't rollers and jumpers, prob not many fish in that area. Depending on what you are using, dropper with 2-3 oz of lead, try not to drag bottom, you will get snagged.

kyamukun
Petty Officer

Post by kyamukun » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:56 pm

thx, barchaser. Cady is in Snohomish, just downstream from the Pilchuck. but the more i learn about this, it seems to be more effective to motor upstream as far as you can then drift down with the current. so launching from Everett would allow to do this.

i really appreciate all the advice, guys! can't wait for the river to open!

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02 pm

ive never really fished the snoho but on the skagit we would motor up high as possible n slowly backtroll plugs through the different holes using a kicker motor to slow our descent to a snails pace.. or we would anchor n run plugs or eggs.. hope this helps.. now all we need is monday to hurry up n get here. im gonna have to try n find a open seat n get out n try the snoho this year

Goldrigger1
Petty Officer

Post by Goldrigger1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:45 pm

I have a bass boat. Last year I fished the Snoho up to the Bar areas on higher tides. The boat is very shallow, but the prop goes deep. Auto trim allowed me to go upriver as far as I did. I'd get another boat, but this one is good for the Columbia and it is comfortable.

They are saying last year was a fluke for silvers. The heavy rains plus humpies up ahead forced the silvers to hold up in Snoho. This from Triangle Bait. Said it was the best silver fishing in a very long time.