Firm eggs

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishingThePacNW
Commander

Firm eggs

Post by FishingThePacNW » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Sorry i know there are alot of egg curing topics going around but i needed some help the last batch of eggs i cured was my first time and they turned out super soft and wouldnt stay in the loop. ( i use fire cure) So i read up and added salt to this batch and they are firming up alot more then, they are in the fridge rightn now. what is your guys's best cure for coho? the whole process, maybe im doing something wrong other then what im putting in the cure?

thanks,
Chandler

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Firm eggs

Post by natetreat » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Try drying them overnight on a cookie rack, or on paper towels. A coating of borax on top of them will crust up the outside layer, leaving them juicy in the middle. If I have particularly soupy eggs, I'll do the drying thing the night before, set them out on towels, sprinkle them with borax or borax o fire and they'll be good to go in the AM.

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Should I just keep them in the bag in the fridge after tonight? Then the night before take em out and dry them and sprinkle them? Thanks nate

FinChaserNW
Petty Officer

Post by FinChaserNW » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:00 pm

You are right on with using Fire Cure for fall fish, it's great stuff. Nate's giving you good advice there too. Here's a good video by Duane Inglin on using Fire Cure. I have used this method (with the occasional twist) for years and it's been great. This is a great starting point on the fundamentals. Like Nate said though, leaving them out to dry in the fridge can help firm them up after curing. The only thing I cannot emphasize enough is to allow enough time in the cure for all the juices to reabsorb into the eggs before doing any drying or other extra steps. Let me know if you have any questions after the video and I'll be happy to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5hnkamp-9c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scott