Dungeness river.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Brat Bonker
Admiral

Re: Dungeness river.

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:03 pm

me too bro me too, last time I was there it was only about 5 ft deep is it completely gone now? I got my first dungy silver out of there, they would just stack up in there too but no one really fished it cause it was hard getting to it from the dike.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:me too bro me too, last time I was there it was only about 5 ft deep is it completely gone now? I got my first dungy silver out of there, they would just stack up in there too but no one really fished it cause it was hard getting to it from the dike.
It's completly gone. I used to fly fish there for hours. Lot of fun. Theres a few spots above there that are now pretty good holes though.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:08 pm

how could you fly fish there with all the trees around, are we talking about the same hole, the one that you have to walk up from the gate a good 1/4-1/2 mile and hack through some brush with log hole down stream that was deep with lots of white water?

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:how could you fly fish there with all the trees around, are we talking about the same hole, the one that you have to walk up from the gate a good 1/4-1/2 mile and hack through some brush with log hole down stream that was deep with lots of white water?
I know where that is, but i was talking about the logjam up from the dike a little bit. I fly fished alot of spots by the dike though.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:15 pm

oh okay, there were some good spots right unfront of the gate too last time I was there, some where up or downstream a little bit though, they might have changed since I have not been there since last year. Are there any spots below the school house to fish.
Do you ever twitch jigs for coho in there?

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:oh okay, there were some good spots right unfront of the gate too last time I was there, some where up or downstream a little bit though, they might have changed since I have not been there since last year. Are there any spots below the school house to fish.
Do you ever twitch jigs for coho in there?
Theres 3-5 good spots now at the dike. None of them good for salmon :-$ The school house...We only park on the dike side, and walk down to the spot a little up from the bridge. Theres hardly ever coho there, i've seen a few by the claybanks above the spot i fish. But i go to the schoolhouse hole to catch sea run cutts, or catch and release dollies(Cught accidently when its slow for sea runs) Lot of chum there too. I have no idea how to succesfully twitch jigs honestly so i hardly use jigs for salmon. I stick almost stricktly to egs.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:38 pm

I like twitching jigs and tried it today but there is not really any good water to do it at, mostly just drift water on that river.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:I like twitching jigs and tried it today but there is not really any good water to do it at, mostly just drift water on that river.
Yeah, its almost all drift. Other than the deep, deep hole below the 101 bridge. Thats good for float, and twitching.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:43 pm

I have never fished below 101 before. Have you ever tried spinners for salmon or steelhead in there?

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:58 am

Well went out to the dungy again yesterday. The river was moving a little too fast, and too muddy to really fish so i fished a few spots in the hatchery creek(Legal to fish up to a certain spot in the creek) Lot of big dark coho moving up the creek...I hooked quite a few fish, didn't count how many i landed but all the coho were dark other than a decent one that i lost. Also landed a bunch of dollies, biggest was about 7lbs. Hooked into a nice bright about 6lb steelhead aswell, spit the hook right infront of my feet...Saw a few other fish caught, and a few chrome coho hooked. Also saw some decent ones surfacing. Heard of a steelhead being caught a few days ago, and of a few being hooked the other night.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:01 am

great report blake, how far up can you fish on the creek cause I noticed a lot of people tend to snag in it haha. Using your corky rig with those eggs or something different?

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:25 am

Brat Bonker wrote:great report blake, how far up can you fish on the creek cause I noticed a lot of people tend to snag in it haha. Using your corky rig with those eggs or something different?
You can fish to where the sign is posted on a tree i think. Yeah alot of people snag in it, cause its easy for them to. Fish were stacked to the point where i somehow snagged a few. Annoying cause i would feel a fish hit set the hook, miss that fish and snag into a big dark coho. I used 2 small beads(Out of the large beads) and some eggs for the first half of the day, then i broke off and used a set-up i had found on the river. A tiny black corkie, and a small hook. Used eggs with it, but the steelhead i hooked actually hit just the tiny black corkie. I was reeling in to put on some more eggs and it attacked corkie. I'm probably gonna switch back to pink corkie and yarn though. I'm completly out of beads, and the place i buy tackle from is out of the beads i like. I'm also out of red yarn... Might try a larger black corkie since the fish seem to like them..Never thought they would just hit small black corkie(I was just using it to float up a little with the eggs) but i saw several dollies, some coho and that steelhead attack the corkie.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44 pm

in dark or stained water black is the best color cause it contrasts with the brown making a siloutte the fish can see, that is why nightmare jigs are good in muddy waters like the skookumchuck. Try drifting a nightmare patern corky and yarn combo and see if the fish like it. What size corky was it and did you have some yarn?
I love swains in PA, the place has great deals and some stuff I can never find like anywhere.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:in dark or stained water black is the best color cause it contrasts with the brown making a siloutte the fish can see, that is why nightmare jigs are good in muddy waters like the skookumchuck. Try drifting a nightmare patern corky and yarn combo and see if the fish like it. What size corky was it and did you have some yarn?
I love swains in PA, the place has great deals and some stuff I can never find like anywhere.
Yeah i know. I like to use a red corky and black yarn alot. I don't know what size it was, never seen one as small as this one was. Swains is niced, but i mostly only buy tackle at brians sporting goods. Can get good tackle and also good info and such. so went out to the river again today. River was still high and muddy, so mostly fished the creek again. Landed a decent amount of fish. Caught a chromer, but it had a few sores on it's tail and i didn't really want it. My grandpa also caught a big nice jack. Gave it away to someone though. Saw a lot of fish caught today, but all really dark ugly fish, other than one super chrome fish that was caught. Someone i know said a bunch of fresh coho came up the creek last night right after dark. Also, saw some guys snagging nasty dark fish above the clsoed waters sign. Why? Is it really worth a ticket to snag a spawning coho then actually keep it. It makes no sense to me.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:54 pm

the joy of fighting a fish in the tail is plenty of enjoyment to them, any steelies? same black corky and eggs today.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:the joy of fighting a fish in the tail is plenty of enjoyment to them, any steelies? same black corky and eggs today.
Haha no, no steelhead. I used the black corky and eggs till i broke off. Switched over to just a pearl pink corky. Both worked, but the black corky caught more fish.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:10 pm

is it an all black corky or one with silver scales cause I to found a black corky on the beach but it had gray scales, not sparkles but the gray scale one but just threw it in my vest, I guess I should have tied it on haha.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:35 am

Brat Bonker wrote:is it an all black corky or one with silver scales cause I to found a black corky on the beach but it had gray scales, not sparkles but the gray scale one but just threw it in my vest, I guess I should have tied it on haha.
It was a solid black corky. I know the ones you are talking about though.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:49 am

nice, are you going steelheading today on the dungy or still salmon?

kingfisherman1
Petty Officer

Post by kingfisherman1 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:41 am

Left my phone in the car and I let my brother in law use it so I can't call. There are still some silvers up at that hatchery hole? Hmmm...I was lookin' at the bogey flows and it looks like it'll be good starting tomorrow if the weather cooperates. I'd be more interested in fishing that than the dungy if you wanna meet up out there Fri or Sat?