Cowlitz Help

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bawk Bawk
Petty Officer

RE:Cowlitz Help

Post by Bawk Bawk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Matt was simply trying to give advise to someone who asked for help. It may not be a massive brush pile but there was brush piled up in the river. Good luck kzoo.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Jaksonbrown wrote:
jens wrote:Don't talk to me like that Matt, I am not one of your kids. I don't appreciate your condescending GREAT ABILITY TO HIGHLIGHT WORDS. YOU ARE THE BEST! Your advice runs with Barrier and Blue Creek, 2 different locations that require different tactics.

What we say down South is pic or it didn't happen. Maybe I'll see you on the Mighty Cow Saturday, what color is your sled? A few of us would love to say hello 8-[ 8-[ .
Dude?? Seriously?? Matt was just offering his opinion and advice. You jumped on him. And the whole "whats your boat look like" threat.... Please...Ill be with Matt Sat. Perhaps you can say hi to us both.
You are right, I apologize. Your buddy gets under my skin. Good luck down there guys. Heard it's the place to be.
"One more......."

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:57 pm

I still snag bullheads.
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:04 pm

flinginpooh wrote:I still snag bullheads.
Did you catch that bullhead pitching your corky in the bush? I mean submerged bush?[lol] [lol]
"One more......."

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:07 pm

No I was standing on the submerged bush so that I could stand higher in the river. See told ya I snag bullhead.
Attachments
snaggedbullhead.jpg
snaggedbullhead.jpg (49.32 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:17 pm

I snag flounders too. Beat that one lol.
Attachments
snaggedflounder.jpg
snaggedflounder.jpg (67.99 KiB) Viewed 3060 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More fish please!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:40 pm

I snagged this in a submerged brush pile.
Attachments
brush_pile.jpg
brush_pile.jpg (92.45 KiB) Viewed 3049 times
"One more......."

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:15 pm

When the water is up there are little alder bushes that live by the river bank that fish like to hide in. I've seen it first hand. It's no jungle but with that water flow fish find rest where they can.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:53 pm

Ive caught alot of bullheads fishing for salmon in rivers.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:56 pm

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:
Yeah but how many flounders ya catch? Yeah thats what I thought lol
More fish please!

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Kzoo,i am sure the water with be high, which would not be a problem but with the fresh rain water will likely be murky as it has been for weeks. Stinky milky eggs may be the ticket, probably down at blue creek, barrier will be hard to drift eggs with all the flossers lined up.good luck

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:11 pm

flinginpooh wrote:
Fish_Bait111397 wrote:
Yeah but how many flounders ya catch? Yeah thats what I thought lol
Hahaha, ive never seen someone catch a flounder out of a river.
That would be funny to see though.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Brian253 wrote:Kzoo,i am sure the water with be high, which would not be a problem but with the fresh rain water will likely be murky as it has been for weeks. Stinky milky eggs may be the ticket, probably down at blue creek, barrier will be hard to drift eggs with all the flossers lined up.good luck
I think I am understanding what your saying but it doesnt make since really. Ok regardless if youre drifting eggs or corkie Total weight of presentation. That is going to determine how fast it will drift through the water in the current. Now if you know how to fish either of these locations you know that you really arent gonna drift eggs at either place. Maybe above the launch at barrier where it will not snag up as easy and the fish run that slot. Or youre gonna try tossing eggs off the rocks at the dam.

Bluecreek egg drifting will get ya hung up every time. You would need to float eggs there. Above launch at bc there is a few holes to fish. All but one and I say what one have enough snags through them drifting eggs is a no no. You can get away with float though. I just drift pencil lead corkie and yarn heavy scent. Its gonna very due to water levels where you want to fish. But this whole year has been wierd so far. Fish are not where I usually know. So just very your casts. Start out close and work it out foot to foot and a half at a time. Work the whole area. Launch There is 4 really big snags in there. Not to mention your not gonna be casting eggs far. So your running a good chance of hanging up on the two launch ramps themselves. Again not a good choice for drifting eggs there. Lets move to the flats. Every single hole in the flats is full of snags left and right. You need to toss light presentations in there or float it. Eggs are not a light presentation at all. Infact most of the time your eggs will out weight your lead and will be bouncing on the bottom when trying to drift em. When its as snaggy as it is its just not smart to drift em. I know that river I live at that river. I know what Im talking about. I do love the bait bait bait attitude. If it was the best option Id use it every time too. But you are not gonna drift it there. Float it if you want to. Its not gonna help you there really. Drift an easy egg and a lil yarn with shrimp smelly jelly. Hell use small spawn sacks and drift that. Not a big glob of eggs.

When your looking at what advise to take make sure ya pick and choose wisely. Theres alot of people that are eager to give up info. Hell I know someone that hasnt even fished a full season yet. Got him into his first steel and now he knows it all. Its amazing sometimes.

And Ill toss this out cause I love to hear it. If some people would learn to drift fish proper, they would know how and when to floss. And thats not how to catch steel silly kids. Drifting is not flossing. Flossing is flossing. Term is tossed around by people that I feel dont know how to tell the difference between a rock, line, a stick, and a fish. Learn to know what your feeling and youll learn how to catch steel.
More fish please!

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:43 pm

Kzoo, ignore all advice from any one unless it is from flinginpooh. He is the worlds greatest steelheader, who knew one could achieve this title without ever leaving the world of flossing.
Pooh, get a job. And a life, you know what I meant ok let me reword"fish" eggs, since pooh could not think as far as to realize what I was trying to say outside his prized drift fishing.
You truly are, from my pov, an idiot always ranting about your all knowing wisdom on all forms of fishing, yet admitting to doing nothing more than merely flossing every specie of fish on the same river year round.
I have not seen you offer kzoo any advice, just a smart post about"wish I knew how to fish that river".maybe you should learn

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:48 pm

Wow! [drool] Come on guys. No need to be arguing like this.

I'm cool with everyone on this site, everyones has their own opinions, we should all respect it even if you don't agree with it. Let's move on and concentrate on catching the steel.

Thanks for everyone's input:thumright , I greatly appreciate it, maybe not the bullhead snagging[razz] .
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Brian Ive actually pointed out much advise to him. Your blinded by ignorance. And really its cool. Im not all knowing. But Ive been fishing longer then youve been alive. I thought you was really cool when I fished with you up in the pool. Did you see me just drift fishing then? I used spoons spinners and I tried bobber and jig up there. Did you see me drift? No cause the water we fished isnt right for drifting. You need to get off your trip man. Learn some sarcasm when ya hear it. Yeah I said I wish I knew how to fish that river. How many people pm you about fishing there and ask you for tips? Ill tell you what alot do me. And I always help them out.
More fish please!

Bawk Bawk
Petty Officer

Post by Bawk Bawk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:05 pm

There are several holes at Blue Creek that contain a lot of snags, but you are going to find them with even the lightest drift gear. I guess the 3 fish I have caught drift fishing eggs were a fluke. I still think glow balling is the most productive way.

bullhead unlimited
Angler

Post by bullhead unlimited » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Hey Kzoo- Fished the Cow last week with a guide and we talked a bit about bank fishing. From the spots we fished, he showed me several bank spots, mostly by Blue Creek, some farther up river. Just park in the lot at the launch and go on the trails till you find a spot you like. We saw guys pullin in fish from the bank, talked to bankies who had fish in the parking lot after our trip too. Our guide said that the store there on the corner of Tucker and hwy 12 sells cured coon shrimp that work great under a float or drifted. River levels make a big difference, and you can check them at http://wa.water.usgs.gov/data/realtime/ ... ndex2.html

I might get down there again to give it a try from the bank, so post reports on what you see!

Meeks9591
Warrant Officer

Post by Meeks9591 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:11 pm

http://washingtonlakes.com/forum/yaf_po ... eview.aspx

C'mon guys.. Lets talk about fishing!!! Most of us are grown and dont need to go over this every day.. Kzoo, if I knew ANYTHING about the Cow river or Steel for that matter I'd help.
Millions of lakes, millions of fish, 1 angler 1 life, live it and fish it!
I'm an ADDICTED TROPHY HUNTER.

akochman09
Petty Officer

Post by akochman09 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Kzoo, ignore all advice from any one unless it is from flinginpooh. He is the worlds greatest steelheader, who knew one could achieve this title without ever leaving the world of flossing.
Pooh, get a job. And a life, you know what I meant ok let me reword"fish" eggs, since pooh could not think as far as to realize what I was trying to say outside his prized drift fishing.
You truly are, from my pov, an idiot always ranting about your all knowing wisdom on all forms of fishing, yet admitting to doing nothing more than merely flossing every specie of fish on the same river year round.
I have not seen you offer kzoo any advice, just a smart post about"wish I knew how to fish that river".maybe you should learn

woah man, hes just trying to help a guy out. and flossing steelhead, really? to me that is a naive comment. bottom bouncing bait for steelhead isn't flossing, and there aren't really enough steelhead to floss anyways plus they have small mouths and are small fish. that combined with the fact that they bite baits like eggs and shrimp really well makes flossing not only an improbable option but one that won't catch any fish. drift fishing used to be the way to get it done. I might add that this past weekend most of those vedder fish were caught with drift rigs under a bobber in instances where the weight was actually on bottom, and those fish definitely bit. Im not trying to pick a fight or anything, just trying to defend pooh when hes trying to help someone.