FISHING REGULATIONS

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:FISHING REGULATIONS

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Yeah, the Skagit Sept 24th report is quite a report to read..... The guy even talks about releasing the native, "Because it was a native----- "And the Gamies are there" But at least nearly every person who commented on his report called him out on Chinook taking. As you know, each of those comments goes back to the report writer.
...... Hey, but he sure was good about not littering and supporting kids going fishing!! :scratch:
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:00 pm

DoubleR wrote:I've seen several reports where people show off their out of season salmon. Two that I remember are the chinook from the Skookumchuck a couple days ago, and a chinook from the Green a couple months ago. I doubt these guys meant to do anything illegal, but it is frustrating. These guys need to be corrected for their own good and the good of the fish runs.
true, but if say a chinook is caught incidentally and was not being targeted, and is handled correctly and released, I don't see the harm in making note that it was caught and taking a pic - provided it's within the guidelines of the regs and the report specifically notes it was properly handled and released. Incidental catches aren't illegal, unless you're targeting said species (say for example using sockeye gear on lake Wash when sockeye are not open). Or am I all wet in my interpertation?

Skagit, Skookumchuck reports deleted. guys, you gotta tell us about these! I can't keep track of every reg in the book. :-"

Any more for me to check into?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:07 pm

Mike I agree 100%.....if for some reason only chinook run in that ruver than yes, but nothing wrong and not against the rules for someone to catch and release a chinook if they are fishing say coho or chum. Again nothing in the regs that say that he can't keep the fish in the water and take a pic with it, sure would it have been better to jsut have released the fish and and caused the fish less stress? yes it would have, how it that any diffrent then all these guides and others who pose for pics of natives of steelhead and otehr type fish for pics? It's not, so if they are with in regs with what they are doing and you don't agree, then complaining about it here isn't going to do you any good. Go complain, with info to back it up to the ones who can make the changes.

just my .02 if anyone cared.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:36 pm

This in my opinion is walking a fine line. Is it our place to judge if an infraction was committed? After all, we (the readers) were not there to witness it. But like Scott stated above, we don't know the circumstances.

Since I don't know any of the rivers on the west side, I can't relate to any of these posts. However, if for instance someone posted they were ice fishing on Amber Lake with Powerbait in January, I would delete that post for sure, since it is closed to all fishing Dec.-March.

I don't really know what is best, delete, add a correction comment or overlook. :scratch:

MrLucky
Petty Officer

Post by MrLucky » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:58 am

Add me to the list of readers who are frustrated with this issue. In particular, I was seeing so many reports where bait fishers were C&Ring way past the limit, that I began to wonder if I'd read the regs wrong. I used to call people out on it, but I got tired of being a hard-ass. It's very discouraging.

That said, the regs really are convoluted. I would be happy to see simplified rules, even if those rules were necessarily more strict. Hell, I fish at least once a week all year, but I'd be all for a total ban for a year or two if it would bring the fish populations back to healthy levels. When I was a kid (not so long ago), every day was a five-star day.

To the majority on this site who spend their valuable bathroom time sweating over the regs, THANK YOU! And to anyone I see poaching my local waters, I will grass you to the cops in a hot second.
There are two kinds of luck, and I got 'em both.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 am

Whats, Grass You mean.? How is one Grassed? Im a bit leaning to the older side. Im not picking on ya. Just curious.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:43 am

ya, the catching/releasing beyond a legal limit with bait is one I now generally do catch (but wasn't so much earlier in the year). I'm learning to be on the lookout for it more.

MrLucky
Petty Officer

Post by MrLucky » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:52 pm

racfish wrote:Whats, Grass You mean.? How is one Grassed? Im a bit leaning to the older side. Im not picking on ya. Just curious.
And here I thought I was using quaint old slang. Didn't Raymond Chandler invent the term? Not implying your old or nothin'....

23 skidooo
There are two kinds of luck, and I got 'em both.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:52 pm

never heard the term, but from OnlineSlangDictionary.com:

•verb: to grass. To report someone to the authority involved (police, school teacher).
You grass on me and I'll kick your...!
by Cyberchick, UK, Oct 24 1999 (Edit definition)

•a snitch, informer (british english)
by Ivan, Croatia, Aug 01 2005 (Edit definition)

and from LondonSLang.com:

grass - to expose someone to the police, an informer. To 'grass someone up' is to 'tell on them'. Also a slang term for marijuana leaf that is smoked.

The things I learn around here. :-k
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:08 pm

"The things I learn around here."

LOLOL. Yep, us river fishin' peeps are a tad on the interesting side sometimes:cheers:
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:36 pm

Mike, Rac, we are showing our age. We belong to the narc, squealer, fink generation.[unsure]

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:36 am

Marc Martyn wrote:Mike, Rac, we are showing our age. We belong to the narc, squealer, fink generation.[unsure]
can't forget to be ratted out.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:48 am

Were never too old to learn a lil something. In my day it was called Narcing. Narcs in our school district were not treated nicely. At my High School they hung a narc in the mens room. (narc is a police informant)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.