Sockeye?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
crankbait42
Commander

Sockeye?

Post by crankbait42 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:47 pm

Picked this up drifting eggs today. Spots on the upper and lower tail. no spots on back at all.

Matt
Admiral

RE:Sockeye?

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Where'd you catch it at. It looks like a jack sockeye, or adult kokanee.

From the photo you can't see the spots on the tail. Could be the infamous "chumpy"!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Thats where it gets weird lol I got it on the green up in the canyon. I have heard of some being up there but never seen one

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:24 pm

Sockeye "NO distinct spots on back or tail fin"
Kokanee "Possible spots on back or tail fin "
Chum "No distinct black spots on back or caudal fins"
I think it might be a fresh chum
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:01 am

I would say chum look at the coloring that is starting on the side. Hen right? Face looks like a fresh chum hen.
More fish please!

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:49 am

it was a buck, in the picture it kida looks like that but it really had no stripe at all

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:53 am

Looks like a Chum to me.It dosent look like a Blueback.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:30 am

I agree with pooh, I think it's a Chum hen. Good job though.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:47 pm

It was a buck, here are more pics

cudaman
Warrant Officer

Post by cudaman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:02 pm

i asked a bio buddy of mine he says its a humpy they got 10 back to the hatchery this year . and it does,nt look all that big no offense LOL
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nw tiger pac chapter 57

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:18 pm

It was not big it was only 17 inches. I caught a humpy earlier this year and had a thread on here about it so I know they come up even years. however. Of all of the humpies i have caught everyone had large spots all over its back and all over the tail. This has basically no spots.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:42 pm

crankbait42 wrote:It was not big it was only 17 inches. I caught a humpy earlier this year and had a thread on here about it so I know they come up even years. however. Of all of the humpies i have caught everyone had large spots all over its back and all over the tail. This has basically no spots.
crankbait, I thought you said it was male too?
So I'd say (in my best geriatric voice) "WHERE'S THE HUMP?!"
That aint no male pink IMO. Female very possible but not male.
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:09 pm

If it was a male, its nothing that is "supposed" to be in the Green. But if were a female.... I can almost see a little chum or humpy in there. But male, no way its either of those. I dont know sockeye too well, but have heard rumors of a small run on the Green. So by process of elimination, and being it was male, I would say sockeye. But what does an Atlantic salmon look like? I know there are a few of those on the Green.

So wait, you caught an even year humpy and a sockeye out of the Green this year? You are either really good, or really lucky. Either way, good job.

pilchuck
Petty Officer

Post by pilchuck » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:36 pm

It's a female Chum! Crank, if your not sure what you are catching why did you keep it and take it home?? Cuda, your bio bud needs to go back to school! Not a humpy...

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:57 pm

Up at the green I saw some really bright chum. I was surprised. The bucks were barely showing any color at all, they came straight up. But The males already had their hook jaw, and teeth. It looks a lot like a jack sockeye too, and if it was a male, I'd say maybe. But those jacks are hard to tell apart sometimes so with those pictures I dunno. I've seen a couple of humpies in the green this year, but last month. But aside from you knowing it warn't a female I'd say it was a female chum.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:58 pm

Atlantic Salmon would be the best bet, but I never seen one outside the supermarket.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:30 am

Hey thanks pilchuck, It helps to read the whole thing to see that it was a buck. Unless hens now carry sperm sacks? Oh and I kept it because I know my regs. I know you can keep 3 salmon native or not as long as it is not a chinook and I knew it was not a Chinook. Why would you make a statement without reading the thread?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:09 am

Atlantic Salmon have way more body spots.Maybe its what our polluted waters are starting to kick out.If we truly believe in Darwins theory maybe fish life changes just like humans do.Evolution continues on in our world. I know it sounds Sci-Fi but it could really be a genetic change in the motion.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:17 am

My guess is a chum (not so healthy one, maybe some disease) that has spent it's life in the river. I personaly would not eat it, as it clearly is irregular and something caused that to happen. Not saying for sure that it would cause a problem if eaten, but I would not take the chance. For some reason or another this fish is not normal.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:35 am

Silvers and kings aren't the only salmon species to produce jacks, it's a jack chum.